Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pleasantly surprised by Worcester. Though it doesn't have a huge skyline, there are some nice talls, and the urban core seemed fairly active and in good shape. The population is about 175,000, and I believe the city has been experiencing a recent influx of Hispanic folks who have added some life to the place. Here's some pics of Worcester in and around the downtown area (not high quality, but you'll get the idea).

Of course it wasn't all beautiful

But it was mostly OK

Finally, a great looking old train station

Hope you enjoyed :)

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I was last in Wuustah, when was it, 1999 I think to see an NCAA tourney game between Maine and Clarkson at the Centrum. And I drove aound it last year. As such, not much experience with the city at all, but it seems to have endless potential. Has some problems, but it's a good manageable size and therefore should be able to rebound.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Wonderful pictures from Worcester, another Massachusetts city on the rebound. Like Springfield & the small mill towns, Worcester experienced a long decline. But Worcester seems to have turned the corner. Between 1990 & 2004, Worcester’s population increased from 170,000 to 176,000.

It’s true, as in most Massachusetts & southern New England cities; newcomers & immigrants have played a vital role in reversing the demographic & economic decline. Worcester, a virtually all-white city in 1960, attracted many Puerto Ricans between the 1960s & 1980. More recently, it has attracted significant numbers of Dominican, Salvadorian, Mexican & Columbian immigrants. Worcester also has attracted substantial Vietnamese, Haitian & West African (sizeable Ghanian presence) communities.

Many of the newcomers have been attracted by more affordable housing costs as compared with Boston. Many have opened new businesses & filled up once vacant housing, while adding to the tax base. So Worcester’s become much more diverse at the same time that it has started turning around.

Rather than Springfield, which shares more in common with Hartford CT. Worcester tends to be compared with Providence RI, both being within Boston’s orbit. Downtown Worcester still needs more focus. But with Worcester’s population heading upward & its proximity to Boston, I’d imagine that it will follow in the path of Providence’s revival. It’s just about a decade behind.

·
Registered
162 Posts
bayviews said:
Rather than Springfield, which shares more in common with Hartford CT. Worcester tends to be compared with Providence RI, both being within Boston’s orbit. Downtown Worcester still needs more focus. But with Worcester’s population heading upward & its proximity to Boston, I’d imagine that it will follow in the path of Providence’s revival. It’s just about a decade behind.
Very good statement.
I could not agree more

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
yeah, i was pleasantly suprised with "wuustah" myself when i drove from utica to providence. i will be seeing a lot more of this place since i will be driving back and forth from utica and RI on a regular basis.

i am glad the hispanic influx has given the city a turn-around. utica and several upstate NY cities could benefit from this as well. immigrants = good.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
jmancuso said:
yeah, i was pleasantly suprised with "wuustah" myself when i drove from utica to providence. i will be seeing a lot more of this place since i will be driving back and forth from utica and RI on a regular basis.

i am glad the hispanic influx has given the city a turn-around. utica and several upstate NY cities could benefit from this as well. immigrants = good.
Agree completely!

Its true, the major underlying difference between the continued decline of upstate NY cities & the regrowth of many of what had been declining New England cities has been in-migration & immigration. All the New England cities that have regrown have done-so by attracting newcomers, particularly Latinos, but also Asians, Caribbeans & Africans.

Particularly gratifying to hear that Lawrence MA, now a majority Hispanic (60%) city of 72,000 hasn’t had a single homicide since mid-2004. Biggest problem that Lawrence & rest of Merrimack Valley having now are the rains & floods!

Actually, Utica NY deserves credit for attracting about the most immigrants per capita as compared with other upstate cities. Mostly Bosnian, Russian & Southeast refugees during the 1980s & 90s. Not sure how many have stayed in Utica or how many may have relocated to other cities. Know that east Utica has fairly small but long-established Puerto Rican community centered around Bleecker Street.

Schenectady is another upstate city that has specifically lured Guyanese immigrants, mostly NYC over the past five years.

Generally though, as compared with New England cities, upstate cities have attracted very few immigrants. While NYC is one of the two biggest immigration gateways, Buffalo has attracted fewer new immigrants as compared with any other major metro. And that’s the major cause of its decline. Buffalo’s lost half its city population over the past half century & over 10% of its metro population. Rochester managed a little better.

Providence, Rhode Island is another great comeback story. Of course Providence has accomplished a lot in terms of downtown renewal. But downtown Providence has been helped by the repopulation & revitalization of many neighborhoods. And while there’s certainly also been some gentrification, that’s for the most part a function of Providence attracting lots of new immigrants. Providence declined for many decades. and there were hardly any Latinos in the city in 1970. Now Providence is 30% Hispanic. Significant number of Puerto Ricans. But mostly Dominicans, Central Americans, Columbians & Mexicans. Providence has also attracted significant numbers of Cambodian, Vietnamese, Cape Verdian, Liberian, & Haitian immigrants.

Providence is back up to its largest population, 178,000, since 1930. In terms of metro population, Providence has passed Buffalo, growing 24% since 1960 to over 1.2 million. So the immigration has been a big factor, acknowledged by local officials, in explaining why Providence has traded decades of decline for regrowth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great pics, man. The ups and downs of Worcester. You should have seen Union Station (the train station) when the debate was in town. One of the....ummm......."towers" was red and the other was blue, looked great.

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ I bet that was a sight. Glad ya liked the pics. Kind of surprised this thread came back to life (thanks hero).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts