Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GDP in ppp for 2011.($) ||GDP Per capita(ppp)$ || population(million)
1. Egypt-843.8 billion ;; 10,600;; 79.6
2.South Africa-611 billion;; 12,111 ;; 50.5
3.Nigeria-511 billion;; 3,146 ;; 162.5
4.Algeria-474.8 billion ;; 13,195;; 36
5.Morocco-218.3 bn ;; 6,764 ;; 32.3
6.Sudan-152.4 bn ;; 3,608;; 42.3
7.Angola-143bn ;; 7,288;; 19.6
8.Tunisia-109.3 bn;; 10,319 ;; 10.6
9.Ethiopia-102 bn;; 1,214;; 84.75
10.Kenya-88.9 bn ;; 2,136 ;; 41.6
11.Ghana-85.2 bn ;; 3,426 ;; 25
12.Tanzania-71.8 bn;; 1,554 ;; 46.2
13.Cameroon-55.2 bn ;; 2,757 ;; 20
14.Uganda-55.1bn ;; 1,597 ;; 34.5
15. Ivory coast-53.8bn;; 2,669 ;; 20.15
16. DR Congo-44.4 bn ;; 655 ;; 67.8
17.Zambia-42.5 bn ;; 3,155;; 13.5
18.Madagascar-30.1 bn;; 1,412;; 21.3
19.Senegal-28.6 bn;; 2,243 ;; 12.77
20.Equatorial guinea-28.4bn;; 39,440;; 0.72

NOTE:
Does not take into account the recent rebasing in Nigeria, plus figures for Sudan are pre-secession amounts.

Link below:
http://siteresources.worldbank.org/...the-2011-International-Comparison-Program.pdf

·
I'll Fly Away/Blue skies.
18,812 Posts
Figures for Tanzania are way higher than that without having been rebased.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The World Bank released rebased figures for Nigeria too:

http://databank.worldbank.org/data/download/GDP_PPP.pdf

2012 figures:

20 - Nigeria - $934.448 billion
23 - Egypt - $877.596 billion
27 - South Africa - $637.670 billion
It now does mean that Africa as a whole has exceeded Japan in GDP ppp and if viewed as a single country it would be the 4th largest economy while in GDP nominal it would be the 7th largest economy just pipping Brazil.

·
Registered
14,687 Posts
It now does mean that Africa as a whole has exceeded Japan in GDP ppp and if viewed as a single country it would be the 4th largest economy while in GDP nominal it would be the 7th largest economy just pipping Brazil.
Yea Africa adds up to around 4.5 trillion (not including Libya which is over $100 billion but fluctuating). Still. We have 10x the population and at least 100x the natural resources of Japan. That really shows how amazingly advanced Japan is :p

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yea Africa adds up to around 4.5 trillion (not including Libya which is over $100 billion but fluctuating). Still. We have 10x the population and at least 100x the natural resources of Japan. That really shows how amazingly advanced Japan is :p
I agree with that, but it had been so long behind them that surpassing them is just the beginning and hopefully USA is next although that will only happen at earliest in 2035 by my humble estimates.

Although another thing that is bothering me is the alleged poverty rates in Nigeria that estimated 60% living below 1 dollar a day, mind you this means 365 dollars in PPP dollars. But if you look at the new estimate which measures GDP per capita in PPP for Nigeria of about 5600$ in 2012 it makes me seriously doubt those poverty figures. I am from Uganda and the estimate of those living below 1 dollar per day is 22% as of 2012/2013 Household survey and i definitely know that the average Ugandan is not richer than the average Nigerian.

What i have been able to gather is that since the new statistician general in Nigeria who rebased their GDP is different from the one who collected the poverty figures, although the new individual did release these poverty figures but since the collection of data was not done under his watch am am somehow skeptical of the former administration as i am assuming they were incompetent.
Also the older administration did claim lack of funds and that the new statistician general has more funds available to him than they had from multiple sources but also the Goodluck Jonathan did about triple the new person's budget. This makes me speculate that the older administration may have pocketed the money to carry out the surveys and just made up data knowing the corruption levels in Nigeria.
Of course that is mere speculation on my part but it does attempt to make sense of the discrepancy.

·
Banned
11,651 Posts
Angola is going to rebase too. I expect a big jump too as that economy has been totally transformed. The forecast that africa may have an economy has large as the USA seems like a possibility

·
Banned
11,651 Posts
I agree with that, but it had been so long behind them that surpassing them is just the beginning and hopefully USA is next although that will only happen at earliest in 2035 by my humble estimates.

Although another thing that is bothering me is the alleged poverty rates in Nigeria that estimated 60% living below 1 dollar a day, mind you this means 365 dollars in PPP dollars. But if you look at the new estimate which measures GDP per capita in PPP for Nigeria of about 5600$ in 2012 it makes me seriously doubt those poverty figures. I am from Uganda and the estimate of those living below 1 dollar per day is 22% as of 2012/2013 Household survey and i definitely know that the average Ugandan is not richer than the average Nigerian.

What i have been able to gather is that since the new statistician general in Nigeria who rebased their GDP is different from the one who collected the poverty figures, although the new individual did release these poverty figures but since the collection of data was not done under his watch am am somehow skeptical of the former administration.
Also the older administration did claim lack of funds and that the new statistician general has more funds available to him than they had from multiple sources but also the Goodluck Jonathan did about triple the new person's budget. This makes me speculate that the older administration may have pocketed the money to carry out the surveys and just made up data knowing the corruption levels in Nigeria.
Of course that is mere speculation on my part but it does attempt to make sense of the discrepancy.
The discrepancy stems partly from the higher standard NG uses to measure poverty. It uses 3000 calories which is high. They're struggling with what figures to use. If it used 2500 calories you'd see a lower poverty rate.

·
15,239 Posts
Angola is going to rebase too. I expect a big jump too as that economy has been totally transformed. The forecast that africa may have an economy has large as the USA seems like a possibility
Honestly i don't think there would be that much of a difference in Angola after the rebasing. We all know that there isn't much outside of the Oil and diamond industry....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The discrepancy stems partly from the higher standard NG uses to measure poverty. It uses 3000 calories which is high. They're struggling with what figures to use. If it used 2500 calories you'd see a lower poverty rate.
Although i am still not satisfied, but any way let's wait for the next household survey to estimate poverty likely to be done with the census in 2016 but do not be surprised if the poverty figure is halved in that short time because i am extremely skeptical of the past data.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly i don't think there would be that much of a difference in Angola after the rebasing. We all know that there isn't much outside of the Oil and diamond industry....
But then what are all those 100,000 estimated portugese immigrants doing in the country because i don't think they are all working in the oil industry but they are earning alot of decent money. While the manufacturing sector may not be significant watch the services sector and they may be surprises like what happened in Nigeria.

·
15,239 Posts
But then what are all those 100,000 estimated portugese immigrants doing in the country because i don't think they are all working in the oil industry but they are earning alot of decent money. While the manufacturing sector may not be significant watch the services sector and they may be surprises like what happened in Nigeria.
There were no real surprises in Nigeria really... everyone knew the GDP was Huge, and even with the new figures, some are still thinking it is underestimated, Banking, telecommunications, Entertainment, Agriculture, Industry, Mining, services etc etc are all chunky parts of Nigeria's economy....

I need a breakdown of Angola economy.... what new aspects will be coming onto the table? the portuguese are there to head constructions, just like the chinese, some of them are also Importers-exporters, since Angola imports even tomato puree. Some of them are in other businesses as well... granted.

·
Banned
11,651 Posts
Angola retracted during the war years. It hasn't rebased since 1987 and hasn't had a census since 1979 so is be surprised if there isn't a big change. Plus they have other changes like retail and services are bigger there. But let's see.

·
Banned
11,651 Posts
Although i am still not satisfied, but any way let's wait for the next household survey to estimate poverty likely to be done with the census in 2016 but do not be surprised if the poverty figure is halved in that short time because i am extremely skeptical of the past data.
I expect a drop for sure. World bank posted a drop last year so. Half would be a massive drop though

·
Banned
11,651 Posts
There were no real surprises in Nigeria really... everyone knew the GDP was Huge, and even with the new figures, some are still thinking it is underestimated, Banking, telecommunications, Entertainment, Agriculture, Industry, Mining, services etc etc are all chunky parts of Nigeria's economy....

I need a breakdown of Angola economy.... what new aspects will be coming onto the table? the portuguese are there to head constructions, just like the chinese, some of them are also Importers-exporters, since Angola imports even tomato puree. Some of them are in other businesses as well... granted.
NG gdp is undercounted bc they didn't take into account the hawkers, domestic workers and any business without a fixed location. But the major enterprises are all in so in 2016 I'd expect a relatively small bump on the rebase. 10% or less. But I've seen all sorts of international firms going into Angola. The place looks like a mini china out there. I see a doubling of the gdp

·
Banned
181 Posts

I predict that Angola and Botswana will be the surprise of Africa.
There are a lot of Large agricultural project ongoing in Angola thats not being reported. I predict that Botswana in ten years time will be nearly completely developed.

·
Banned
181 Posts
NG gdp is undercounted bc they didn't take into account the hawkers, domestic workers and any business without a fixed location. But the major enterprises are all in so in 2016 I'd expect a relatively small bump on the rebase. 10% or less. But I've seen all sorts of international firms going into Angola. The place looks like a mini china out there. I see a doubling of the gdp
I get the sense that the real economic development of Angola is happening below the radar. Not much showcasing or talking about it.

·
Banned
11,651 Posts
I get the sense that the real economic development of Angola is happening below the radar. Not much showcasing or talking about it.
I think it's known but it's a midsized country so no big noise. If it was tanzania or ethiopia it'd be a bigger deal.

·
Banned
181 Posts
I think it's known but it's a midsized country so no big noise. If it was tanzania or ethiopia it'd be a bigger deal.
I dont know what you mean by midsize.
Angola's economy is larger than Ethiopias and I think twice as large as Tanzanias economy.
Before the world bank rebase it was larger than both Ethiopia and Tanzania's economy combined. At one point Angola's economy was larger than Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania's economy combined. A few years back.
So I don't know how to consider it a midsize economy.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts