Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Loiner and Proud.
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about Leeds and how it could become a world city and it got me thinking. What actually makes a world city?
I was just wondering what things a world city need to have and how world cities are judged.

Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
A world city is dominant in areas such as finance, business, culture, media etc. to such an extent that their influence in such areas extends far beyond their national boundaries to the surrounding continent or even globally. The financial/business aspect is generally regarded as the most important and hence New York, London and Tokyo are generally classed as the 3 true world cities. Some include Paris but London is dominant over Paris in the financial sector. No doubt with the rise of economies in asia other could join the big 3 or 4 in the coming years.

You'll now understand why Leeds will never be a 'world' city!

·
Loiner and Proud.
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have just found out that according to wikipedia we (Leeds) ‘have one point’ for world city status.
Manchester and Birmingham have two!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_city

Alpha world cities

12 points:
London, New York City, Paris, Tokyo

10 points:
Chicago, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Milan, Singapore

Beta world cities

9 points:
San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto, Zürich

8 points:
Brussels, Madrid, Mexico City, São Paulo

7 points:
Moscow, Seoul

Gamma world cities

6 points:
Amsterdam, Boston, Caracas, Dallas, Düsseldorf, Geneva, Houston, Jakarta, Johannesburg, Melbourne, Osaka, Prague, Santiago, Taipei, Washington, DC

5 points:
Bangkok, Beijing, Montreal, Rome, Stockholm, Warsaw

4 points:
Atlanta, Barcelona, Berlin, Budapest, Buenos Aires, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Istanbul, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Miami, Minneapolis, Munich, Shanghai

Evidence of world city formation

Strong evidence

3 points:
Athens, Auckland, Dublin, Helsinki, Luxembourg, Lyon, Mumbai, New Delhi, Philadelphia, Rio de Janeiro, Tel Aviv, Vienna

Some evidence

2 points:
Abu Dhabi, Almaty, Birmingham (UK), Bogotá, Bratislava, Brisbane, Bucharest, Cairo, Cleveland, Cologne, Detroit, Dubai, Ho Chi Minh City, Kiev, Lima, Lisbon, Manchester, Montevideo, Oslo, Riyadh, Rotterdam, Seattle, Stuttgart, The Hague, Vancouver

Minimal evidence

1 point:
Adelaide, Antwerp, Arhus, Baltimore, Bangalore, Bologna, Brasília, Calgary, Cape Town, Colombo, Columbus, Dresden, Edinburgh, Genoa, Glasgow, Gothenburg, Guangzhou, Hanoi, Kansas City, Leeds, Lille, Marseille, Richmond, St. Petersburg, Tashkent, Tehran, Tijuana, Turin, Utrecht, Wellington

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
Can't see anywhere in UK other than London, being a 'World City' - surely a huge population would be required to support all that comes with being a world city? There's simply not enough space in the UK for cities this big?...

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
What a load of wank!!!!

Sorry folk, don't meant to have a pop at any of you but what the **** is all this about? And who on the Leeds Forum would want to go down the path of aspiring to be in the ranks of the "Alpha World Cities"?

Fort my part, I feel quite flattered and pleased that Leeds counts with such centres of culture and civilised living as Antwerp, Dresden, Turin and Utrecht, and those iconic centres like Edinburgh and St Petersburg.

·
Bermondsey Boro
2,343 Posts
aviator said:
What a load of wank!!!!

Sorry folk, don't meant to have a pop at any of you but what the **** is all this about? And who on the Leeds Forum would want to go down the path of aspiring to be in the ranks of the "Alpha World Cities"?

Fort my part, I feel quite flattered and pleased that Leeds counts with such centres of culture and civilised living as Antwerp, Dresden, Turin and Utrecht, and those iconic centres like Edinburgh and St Petersburg.
Couldn't agree more. A load of subjective crap derived by and for the type of people who watch those endless lists of the best 100 songs ever. Who cares? Ask 100 people and you'll get 95 different answers.

Different things float different peoples boats, so why try and make something objective that is clearly subjective?

·
Loiner and Proud.
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aviator said:
What a load of wank!!!!

No one ever said anything about wanting to be an alpha world city, I was just wondering were we are and how one would gets ones city to become a world city.

·
Registered
266 Posts
rhinomatt said:
No one ever said anything about wanting to be an alpha world city, I was just wondering were we are and how one would gets ones city to become a world city.

You ask an honest and interesting question and get some abuse! Amazing isn't it.

Smoggies Si/Aviator - So Leeds will never become a world city but to say the discussion is a load of crap is a little narrow-minded. These rankings are not devised by some anorak sat behind a PC but qualified academics who study the urban centres of the globe. The business leaders and council have aspirations to become a major European city, do you consider aiming for this to be a waste of time as it is all subjective?

·
Loiner and Proud.
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I admit that sometimes my posts can be strange or completely incorrectly spelt but this post was not one of them.
And at the end of the day does it honestly matter if my spelling is bad, I have an interest the same as you. Not to be rude but its people like you (Smoggies Si and Aviator) that push people away from interests such as city development and skyscrapers/buildings. As Simon22 correctly stated:
Simon22 said:
You ask an honest and interesting question and get some abuse! Amazing isn't it.

Smoggies Si/Aviator - So Leeds will never become a world city but to say the discussion is a load of crap is a little narrow-minded.
:applause:

That is all I have to say on the matter.

·
Loiner and Proud.
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back onto the subject. Does anybody know what gives Manchester the second point and where our point comes from?
thanks.

·
Registered
30,578 Posts
I was wondering that actually. Maybe its things like the airport and arena that boost Manchester- but if it is Leeds will soon catch up.

·
Loiner and Proud.
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, with the airport redevelopment/ expansion plans, the arena plans and plans to update Leeds city station and our ring roads we should soon catch up.

Especially if the ‘grater Leeds’ plans happen.

·
Registered
11,178 Posts
I can see why Manchester is a point of ahead of Leeds and Glasgow as it has a major international airport but I'd like to know why Birmingham is a point up.

·
Bermondsey Boro
2,343 Posts
Simon22 said:
Smoggies Si/Aviator - So Leeds will never become a world city but to say the discussion is a load of crap is a little narrow-minded. These rankings are not devised by some anorak sat behind a PC but qualified academics who study the urban centres of the globe. The business leaders and council have aspirations to become a major European city, do you consider aiming for this to be a waste of time as it is all subjective?
I was refering to the survey itself not the discussion. It is not possible to compare cities across the world on a meaningful level as there are infinite variables by which a city can be assessed and many of these are totally subjective.

That is why I hold little sway with these type of surveys along with LCCs propoganda such as 'Leeds Live it Love it' and 'No ordinary city' they spout often meaningless and/or outdated stats and have the feel of old Eastern Bloc tractor production figures, or boot production in Oceania. I love Leeds and am very proud to be a Leeds lad but such one sided publications glutinous with hyperbole are just embarrassing.

1 - 20 of 252 Posts