SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Liverpool, England.
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been some justifiable criticism on these threads of the number of times the phrase 'world class' is used to glamourise the most run of the mill developments.

So lets forget about the world class public toilets, litter bins and bus shelters and concentrate on what in this city and region is really 'world class'. By that I don't mean necessarily the best in the world but those things that bear comparison to the best that the world has to offer. It might be a modern building, a cultural event, something from the city's history etc. My own suggestions are as follows:

1) The Beatles

Liverpool's tourist industry may go on about the Fab Four ad nauseum but how many other figures from popular culture have had so much impact on the entire world?

2) Liverpool Anglican Cathedral

The largest Anglican Cathedral in the world and the seventh largest of any denomination.

3) The Queensway Tunnel

Longest road tunnel in the world when built, still the longest in Britain and one of the largest underwater tunnels in the world, conceived on a heroic scale with marvellous art deco architecture.

4) The Grand National

Most famous steeplechase in the world, watched every year by hundreds of millions.

5) The Mersey Docks

In their heyday, the nine miles of docks along the Liverpool waterfront were one of the greatest sights in world shipping.

6) The Liver Bird

Other cities have mythical beasts as symbols but the Liver Bird is unique to Liverpool and its perch 300' above the city must make it one of the most famous civic symbols anywhere.

7) The Liverpool and Manchester Railway

By no means the first ever railway but the L&MR marked the beginning of the modern passenger railway which was to conquer the world.

8) The Williamson Tunnels

Virtually forgotten for ages but now recognised as one of the most extensive and magnificent underground follies to be found anywhere. Maybe not as famous as the Paris catacombs but they are still finding more and more of them.

9) The Mersey Ferries

A Sunday Times poll a few years ago listed these as the seventh most famous ferries in the world. When you consider that the competition included New York's Staten Island Ferry, Hong Kong's Star Ferry and the Sydney Harbour Ferry you realise that they are a world class attraction.

10) The New Brighton Tower

Sadly no longer with us but this tower would have been second only to the Eiffel Tower in Paris in terms of height. New York had nothing to compare at the time.

11) The Northern Airport Terminal

Probably the greatest survival from the early days of aviation. This magnificent terminal built in the Art Deco style has no rival in Britain and only Berlin's Templehof matches if for size and spendour in Europe.

12) St Georges Hall

One of the finest public buildings in the world, a one hit wonder for Harvey Lonsdale Elmes its 24 year old architect.

13) Oriel Chambers

and

14) 16 Cook Street

These buildings by architect Peter Ellis were completely revolutionary when built and are suspected to have influenced the early Chicago skyscrapers.

That's all I can think of at the moment, any more suggestions or comments on my list?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Great thread and list Martin.
Let's get this thread up and running with a few pics and posts. I'm off to bed soon, but I'll dig out a few pics in the morning.
Here's one for tonight. - Ref 11)

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
I would add to that excellent list the Albert Dock, opened in 1846

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Martin S said:
13) Oriel Chambers and 14) 16 Cook Street
These buildings by architect Peter Ellis were completely revolutionary when built and are suspected to have influenced the early Chicago skyscrapers.
And the word "skyscraper" it's self comes from the sail above the tops'l found on Liverpool clipper ships namely the "skys'l". It was said that when the ship was rolling, "it was scraping the sky".

·
Registered Drug User
760 Posts
The Open 2006 at Royal Liverpool (Hoylake).

Magnificent dock system, let's hope they fill in no more.

How many cities have a waterfront promenade to stroll along? otterspool.

Neolithic relics at Calderstones park,

·
Banned
2,602 Posts
Thank you Martin, excellent thread. I have some additions and ammendments to your posting.

1) Liver building- tallest building in Europe when it was built- Europe's first skyscraper.

2) Anglican cathedral- biggest in Europe, 5th (not 7th) largest in the world.

3) One of the few cities in the world to have two significant cathedrals.

4) First electrified over-head railway in the world- and the 3rd over-head railway in the world after New York and Chicago.

5) Most (2500?) listed buildings outside of London.

·
Banned
2,602 Posts
Whilst Runcorn is offically Cheshire territory I grew up there and have a scouse accent. The reason being that most people there were either born in/from, or have parents from Liverpool. Sociologically speaking it should be a suburb of Liverpool- therefore the Runcorn bridge (or Mersey crossing) should be counted as Liverpool. Besides, it wouldn't have been built in the firsy place had it not been for the Mersey/Liverpool bay area.

So yeah, another thing that makes Liverpool world class. I don't know about now, but when the Runcorn bridge was built it was one of the longest single span bridges in the world and one of the longest arch-span bridges in the world. Not sure where it stands now. It's the same design but longer and bigger than the Tyne bridge (-the icon of Newcastle.)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Click here - for a comprehensive archive of what makes Liverpool, its Buildings, Merseyside and Scousers World Famous. Includes Liverpool Firsts :)

2 Pages worth!

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Liverpool World Museum

Add to that list, Liverpool Museum, or as is to be known now "Liverpool World Museum. It was reviewed on the arts section of Newsnight last night after a 30 million re-vamp and extension . The consensus was that Liverpool now has a world class museum. A great addition to the city's cultural attractions.

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
the golden vision said:
Add to that list, Liverpool Museum, or as is to be known now "Liverpool World Museum. It was reviewed on the arts section of Newsnight last night after a 30 million re-vamp and extension . The consensus was that Liverpool now has a world class museum. A great addition to the city's cultural attractions.
Watched Newsnight Review also, and all the guests on the show, who all visited the Museum seemed impressed, and not a bad word spoken. :cheers:

They visited under the impression they were visiting Anfield and it's museum only, with the visit to the World Museum revealed to them. The word "World" isn't to imply best in the world or anything like that, it is to represent the collections from around the world, and they are only currently showing about 20% due to the vastness off the collection.

·
366 Posts
kev said:
Click here - for a comprehensive archive of what makes Liverpool, its Buildings, Merseyside and Scousers World Famous. Includes Liverpool Firsts :)

2 Pages worth!
Cheers Kev. Some interesting stuff on there.

It's like a mini encyclopaedia.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts