1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transport timetables on your mobile phone
By ANNA VLACH
22may06
IN A world-first, commuters will soon have instant mobile phone access to every Adelaide Metro bus, train or tram timetable.

The software system, called Nomad OnBoard, will be available to Java-equipped mobiles from June 1, public transport division executive director Heather Webster said.

"It has been extensively trialled," she said.

"We have been running it with trains for about eight months to make sure it works well."

Nomad OnBoard is downloaded like a game or ring tone for a similar cost. Phone service providers are also charging for updates and additional timetables, but accessing stored information will be free, Ms Webster said.

"Once timetables are stored in your phone you can check them as many times as you like," she said.

Ms Webster said the program which had been sourced through private company Laborotech "at virtually no cost to the government" was "enormously clever".

"It really delivers to people," she said. "For example, if you were in the city with a friend and they were taking a different bus home to you, you could tell them when the next one was coming providing you knew the bus number."

Visual arts student Rachelle Lech, 23, of Modbury, said she would consider updating her "very basic" mobile phone to make use of Nomad OnBoard.

"I wouldn't do it straight away, but maybe in the future because I don't drive - I take buses everywhere," she said.

"It sounds like a very good idea."

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said Nomad OnBoard would provide "another dimension to (Adelaide Metro's) already timely delivery of information".

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
I just use the notes feature on my mobile and manually copy out the times. :D

Doesn't work when I'm travelling on the routes I don't usually travel on, but I can just call the information hotline (or find a computer) anyway.

Connex has a system where you SMS the time you want to travel, a source and destination station and they give you the train times in response.

·
26,713 Posts
This is great and should become more popular across australia. 3 has had timetables available on their phones for about 4 months now.

I prefer just to give Transinfo (Brisbane's transport information hotline), a call and they'll give you all the info you need in quick time!

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
Any phone with internet access should be able to get timetables anyway - it's just a matter of whether the respective operators decide to reformat pages for a WAP browser.

·
PTnut
588 Posts
andrewM said:
how could it work in Sydney - does it assume the trains are running on time? lol :bash:
:| Cheap shot.

Trains aren't doing too badly these days. April 2006 got 90.6% of trains running ontime.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I always get a laugh out of Adelaide's train network.
I'm in the car, the lights start flashing ahead and the boom gates close, traffic cue's up impatiently, wait......wait........here it comes ! A piddly little 2 carriage single level rattler with 5 people inside trundles past !!!!! GOLD.

·
Registered
652 Posts
christarrant said:
I always get a laugh out of Adelaide's train network.
I'm in the car, the lights start flashing ahead and the boom gates close, traffic cue's up impatiently, wait......wait........here it comes ! A piddly little 2 carriage single level rattler with 5 people inside trundles past !!!!! GOLD.
Maybe it was a tram that you saw? Sounds like it to me....

As for the mobile SMS service, that sounds great. I really get the impression that unlike in Victoria, the Government of South Australia is making a genuine attempt to improve the public transport, which is just excellent. When I was there in Adelaide last year, the PT was excellent.

·
moonage daydream
626 Posts
invincible said:
Any phone with internet access should be able to get timetables anyway - it's just a matter of whether the respective operators decide to reformat pages for a WAP browser.
Genius :shocked:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
There aren't any rattlers left on the rail network. They were all retired back in 1996. The carriages left on the network are all about 23-24m long, while the old H Class are about 16m long each. The capacity of each carriage is about 90 seated, while H Class can have about 60 seated.

·
6,582 Posts
I think he's talking about the 2000s and 3000s which is a fair cop, especially if you're used to Sydney's trains. The 3000s are alright, but the 2000s are loud, gutless, ugly and leave a huge plume of smoke wherever they go. If my morning train is on time, its always a 3000, and if it's late, its 10 minutes late and a 2000.

·
Registered
541 Posts
At least the 2000's have some character. If the service you catch is always late when it's run by a Jumbo, chances are the jumbo is scheduled to arrive a few minutes after a failed 3000 is otherwise due to leave and rather than cancel the service outright they turn around the Jumbo faster than usual and get it out as soon as they can. It's late but at least it runs.

The 3000's and 3100's look like something that they copied from a Melbourne design, without the extra doors and with a diesel motor stuck underneath and an exhaust pipe on the roof instead of a pantograph. Oh, wait, they are!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3000_class_railcar
http://members.tripod.com/BenBWAIN/rail/TA/3000.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comeng
http://www.steane.com/photos/au/belgrave_1.jpg

I'm having difficulty finding photos of the interior of a pre-refurb Melbourne Comeng train. You can tell they are the same design from the side-on profile but once you see the interior of a pre-refurb comeng and compare it to a 3000, all doubt is removed.

·
Transport Advocate
501 Posts
My 3 phone has a my transport option that integrates TTs from all major city transport timetables.... so I don't know why TransAdelaide would want to make another system...

·
6,582 Posts
MrPC said:
At least the 2000's have some character. If the service you catch is always late when it's run by a Jumbo, chances are the jumbo is scheduled to arrive a few minutes after a failed 3000 is otherwise due to leave and rather than cancel the service outright they turn around the Jumbo faster than usual and get it out as soon as they can. It's late but at least it runs.
Of course you can tell from Melbourne. The regular morning service I catch is the 8.11 Adelaide train from Salisbury, and it's always late as a 2000. They wouldn't have the 2000 overtake the 3000 because the 8.11 is express while the 8.19 is all stops to Dry Creek. I've had no issues with inter-peak services - 2000's are only used in peak most of the time these days because of their sluggishness and lower capacity.

H class trams have character. Jumbos, well, yeah.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts