SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings chaps after my long(ish) absense.

I was just wondering whether anyone had had the chance to yet to see the new musuem that has just opened in William Brown Street and wished to offer comment on it?

I toddled down yesterday and thought it was a bit of a mixed bag myself.
The world cultures gallery had some good stuff, but the aquarium was small, the transport gallery has been lost and there was far too much empty space that seemed to be crying out to be filled with displays.
I found it a bit dry compared to some musuems that offer much more emersive audio-visual experiences.

I also think the name change is a mistake. NMGM to National Musuems Liverpool was a good move, but "World" seems a pointless name to add to the main building. Isnt it taken as read that a city's main musuem will be about the world?

Nice roof-top cafe though :)

·
Just something
8,905 Posts
Transport section missing?

So what`s happened to the `Overhead railway` carriges and the other `Chuff chuffs` etc and `horse drawn carriages` and `coal powered engines`?

Sounds like shades of when the `Large Object Store` was moved from "Riverside Station" at the Princes Dock - supposedly heading for Birkenhead?

Do we have our own Bermuda Triangle?

:bash:

I have no problem with them being on display in Birkenhead - but were are they - what are the plans and intentions?

·
Registered
454 Posts
My brother lives in Bermuda i've never got lost when vistiting sorry just thought i'd throw that in it can't be that bad if the kids like it but i'm not so sure.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Accura_Preston said:
Truly world class.
Accy, I can forgive many things, but not that. Please restrain yourself. Only regeneration-hacks-who-couldn't-make-it-in-business-nor-really-in-the-public-sector-so-work-for-RDAs use that fucking phrase.

Welcome back PJ, where have you been?

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Someway to go.........

pjmulholland said:
Greetings chaps after my long(ish) absense.

I was just wondering whether anyone had had the chance to yet to see the new musuem that has just opened in William Brown Street and wished to offer comment on it?

I toddled down yesterday and thought it was a bit of a mixed bag myself.
The world cultures gallery had some good stuff, but the aquarium was small, the transport gallery has been lost and there was far too much empty space that seemed to be crying out to be filled with displays.
I found it a bit dry compared to some musuems that offer much more emersive audio-visual experiences.

Nice roof-top cafe though :)
I visited a few weeks back and was impressed by the building but not the content, I think it will neeed a couple of years to bed in and mature. The Maritime Museum was a slow starter, but now it is with out doubt one of the finest museums in the country.
And yes the roof top cafe was excellent :)

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Harsh but fair.............

liverpolitan said:
Accy, I can forgive many things, but not that. Please restrain yourself. Only regeneration-hacks-who-couldn't-make-it-in-business-nor-really-in-the-public-sector-so-work-for-RDAs use that fucking phrase.

Welcome back PJ, where have you been?
Bit harsh, I think he mean`t to say..............

STATE OF THE ART :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
It is state of the art and world class. Glad it is in the cultural quarter. We are the 'new' Barcelona and the 'new' Buenos Airies of the northern hemisphere.

Sorry, just winding you up with a bit of councilesque nobby spin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts