Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
El Psy Congroo
322 Posts
^^ So many in China! :nuts: I guess it was expected.
Interesting to see both Rotterdam and Antwerp on there.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I wonder why the Pearl River Delta area handles much less than the other port regions in China? I thought Guangdong province was where most of the manufacturing/export etc is?

·
El Psy Congroo
322 Posts
^^ Do not forget that Hong Kong and Shenzhen also appear on the list, bringing the total to 964.8 million tons; therefore the Pearl River Delta sees more than any other single port on the list. But I do understand what you mean.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
I wonder why the Pearl River Delta area handles much less than the other port regions in China? I thought Guangdong province was where most of the manufacturing/export etc is?
manufacturing has slowly moved from Pearl River Delta to Yangtze River Delta and inland. See the comparison of areas:

• Pearl River Delta: Guangzhou+Hong Kong+Shenzhen=964.7
  • Yangtze River Dealta: Shanghai+Ningbo+Zhoushan=1585.8
  • Bohai Bay (north China): Tianjin+Tangshan+Rizhao+Yingkou+Dalian+Qingdao+Qinhuangdao=2717

·
Agur eta ohore
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Port Hedland must be the port growing the most on percentage terms from that list. It will easily surpass 300 million tones this year.

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,536 Posts
I'm not an expert in the maritime industry, but I can imagine that the export of chinese goods is concentrated on a few of their 130 ports which are open to foreign ships, while the import to Europe is distributed on much more smaller ports.

·
Roadgeek from NL
3,835 Posts
I was going to ask...

Only 2 european ports.:eek:hno:
Most Chinese ports also count inland shipping, which most European ports don't do. And Singapore counts in 'freight tonnes' and not 'metric tonnes', which gives them an advantages number-wise.

Rotterdam only counts overseas shipping and not inland shipping. When it comes to overseas shipping Rotterdam is still #1.
(list compiled by the Port Authority of Antwerp(en))
Rotterdam, The Netherlands (442),
Singapore, Singapore (403),
Shanghai, China (356),
Ningbo Zhoushan, China (344),
Qingda, China (285),
Port Hedland, Australia (247),
Tianjin, China (241),
Rizhao, China (199),
Hanjing, China (192)
Antwerpen, Belgium (184).
Via: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=113200259&postcount=2162 (Dutch only)
(In million tonnes of course. Comparing the data, seen above is 2012 data and not 2013)

It's still only 2 European ports, but it does size China down a lot.
(and The Netherlands is first in this list
:D)

·
Registered
3 Posts
World Port Ranking 2013

I have two key indicators on Port Performance on 2013 : TON & TEU....
Does anybody has the other KPI for the same ports ?
I mean SALES & PROFITS....

I collected figures for Port Traffics of 2012. In that year, for example
Ningbo-Zhoushan : US$ 549 Millions Profit after taxes
Shanghai : US$ 773 Millions etc...
Singapore : US$ 1,016 Millions
Rotterdam : US$ 217 Millions

I am looking to update this ranking PROFITS, the only true KPI
If anybody has this info, please post it here....

thanks..

Humbert

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,536 Posts
The Port of Hamburg has all their statistics available in English.

Quick facts 2013:
- 139 million tons (seaborne cargo only)
- 9.258 million TEU (20ft standard containers)
- Hamburg is 2nd largest container port in Europe and 15th largest in the world.

The private companies on the port area pay rent and taxes, but I am not sure if the Hamburg Port Authority also pays taxes. It is a public law institution, wholly owned by the city of Hamburg. So one would have to dig deep into the public sector finance data to filter out the port's contribution in $ to the city's budget. So, one would have to:
- analyze the finances of all 200 companies operating in the port (however by German law, only stock companies are bound to publish their results to the public. All the others just report to the tax office.)
- get the numbers of the Port authorities' income generated by rent and port handling fees.
- deduct the cost of maintaining the infrastructure. Infrastructure maintenance and expansion is paid by the city, and if deemed of national economic importance, co-financed from the federal level. And if the infrastructure projects are considered to be of international relevance, the European Union might also co-fund them.

All-in-all measuring the profits of the Port of Hamburg is difficult, because private and public sector both constitute the port.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear Digger-D21

Hamburg, Antwerp and any other EU Port - except Rotterdam - are 2nd line port on the global scenario...In the top ten port 2013 ranking , regarding TON , TEUS & PROFITS; 8 ports are from CHINA........the other two are Rotterdam and SINGAPORE, and the financial figures of EU Ports compared with Chinese ports... are simply a joke . Today, China itself represents 51% of worldwide maritime traffic...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Regarding Hamburg Port Property, it is not longer owned by the Hamburg City Council....in 2008 or about, it was reversed to Hamburg Lander.....due to financial size of the Port compared ith the City. Same game for Rotterdam Port, moved from Municipality to National Government,... Ports are too big compared with the City

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,536 Posts
The thread title states "World top ports in 2013" and not "World top 10 ports in 2013". It doesn't draw a line where the "top" ends. And the op just posted a list of the top 20 ports. Nowhere is written that we can't talk about major ports which didn't make it into the top 20 (or top 10 in your case).

The Hamburg Port Authority is a public law institution, owns most of the port premises and reports to the city of Hamburg. City and Land Hamburg are the same entity. Hamburg is a city-state.
The largest port logistics company on-site, HHLA, is still owned by 68% by the city of Hamburg.

So, I guess that the generated income is accounted in the books of the city according to the city's share of ownership of each company in the port. The profit is being taxed according to state and federal tax laws. The state tax portion should be added to the profit side from every company in which the city is the major shareholder.

The federal government can subsidy projects of national importance. However the HPA as the port operator is of course obliged to obey federal law.

In order to find out the profits of the port, one has to first define which kind of income counts and which public law institutions and companies have to be regarded as contributors to that profit.

·
Gincan
954 Posts
Many of the Chinese ports are really not one single port but rather several spread out over huge areas. Ningbo Zhoushan extends over dossens of km over a huge area, it is almost as if one would say Bremen and Hamburg is the same port :nuts: And Shanghai count the new Yangshan Port as part of Shanghai Port which extends deep into Yangtze river, like a 150 km from one end to the other :crazy:

·
125,535 Posts
Pearl River Delta
Guangzhou + Hong Kong + Shenzhen = 965

Yangtze River Delta
Ningbo & Zhoushan + Shanghai = 1586

Both regions are major manufacturing areas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts