Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
3 World Trade Center 1979-81: The Vista International Hotel

Looking down at the unfinished Vista International Hotel

1979 work on the Vista International is up to the 5th floor

World Trade Center - 1979 by Kümmerle, on Flickr

SOM schematic 1979

The hotel had 22 stories above grade and 6 stories below grade (labeled B1 through B6.) The roof parapet line was approximately 242 feet above West Street. The first level below grade provided loading docks, building services, and other functions for the hotel. The other levels below grade were part of the overall WTC complex and provided parking space. The ground level housed the hotel lobby and ballroom. The two stories above the ground level lobby were occupied by restaurants and conference facilities. The next 18 stories accommodated the approximately 825 guest suites. A health club and mechanical services were located on the top floor of the building. The building was designed in 1978/1979 by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM), architects.

Late 1979

World Trade Centre View by David in London2007, on Flickr

Framing of hotel early 1980, from the WTC plaza

Cladding racing up the sides 1980

The Sphere, World Trade Center 1984 by Snow Cruiser, on Flickr

Construction well along in this undated photograph

NYC WTC1 by ShellyS, on Flickr

Hotel barely discernable in this shot from around 1980

NYC CircleLine4 by ShellyS, on Flickr

Nearing completion

1981 look at the corner of the completed Vista Hotel adjoining 2WTC

World Trade Center with Marriott Hotel--1981 by el weevo, on Flickr

January 1981

lower manhattan looking east from hudson river january 1981 by eralsoto, on Flickr

3WTC from the waterfront

World Trade Center with Vista Hotel--1981 by el weevo, on Flickr

World Trade Center with Vista Hotel--1981 by el weevo, on Flickr

World Trade Center and Lower Manhattan from Staten Island Ferry - 1981 by BlueVoter, on Flickr

World Trade Center by Ralph Hockens, on Flickr

The finished product in this 1981 photo also showing progress at Gateway Plaza in Battery Park City

Twin Towers 1980 by Stuart McKenna, on Flickr

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks for the pictures! When was the antenna on top of 1 WTC constructed and are there any photos of the construction?

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Thanks for the pictures! When was the antenna on top of 1 WTC constructed and are there any photos of the construction?
The 360 ft. antenna mast was built in 1978 and rebuilt in 1999 by Dielectric Inc. to accommodate DTV. I'll see if I can find images of its construction. ;)

WTC Antenna Farm April 2001 by ajmexico, on Flickr

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had no idea the Antenna was rebuilt or worked on in 1990. I've seen so many pics of the Twin Towers, but never have I seen work on it that year. But I do know they worked on it in the early 2000s.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I had no idea the Antenna was rebuilt or worked on in 1990. I've seen so many pics of the Twin Towers, but never have I seen work on it that year. But I do know they worked on it in the early 2000s.
You're right! I misread some copy. It was redone in 1999. I'll change that post! ;)

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
The 1999 renovation wasn't that major. They really just installed some new antenna arrays in the existing mast. It wouldn't have been more than a few days of exterior work to install them. Most of the work would have been internal.

41 - 60 of 146 Posts