Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tentative timeline for the WTC. Uncertain dates are given in ranges from earliest possible to latest possible occurance.

1960's: In parrallel with the Port Authority of New York, several business moguls propose the idea of building a World Trade Center to concentrate international trade companies under one roof. It eventually fails and the Merchandise Mart becomes home of the Chicago branch of the World Trade Center Organiztion.

*1980-1981 Stanley Raskow approaches SOM with a propsal to build a 5-6Msqft 1,700 foot tall tower in Chicago.

*1981 Architect Bruce Graham and structural engineer John Zils produce the 181 story bundled tube design. Structural Engineer Fazlur Khan is dissatisfied with using bundled tubes and searches for an alternative. By this time the tower has balloned in size to 10Msqft and 2,300 feet. 2,500 feet was the preffered height by Raskow, but Khan adamantly insisted for a reduction to at most 2,100. They eventually settled on the middle figure.

*1982 Khan invents the telescoping superframe and applies it to the WTC, resulting in a 168 story design. Raskow announces the tower to the world, but is absent from the unveiling. A representative for a group of financiers is does attend. Raskow insists the project is real and has several backup plans for financing should the main fall through.

*1983-1984 Stanley Raskow suspends work with SOM on the WTC. SOM's fee of $840,000 is unpaid. SOM seeks its debt through legal action. No assets of Stanely Raskow or his company, 300 N LaSalle Development, are found and the commission is never paid. The original financiers had pulled out some time earlier. The underwriter for the project at the time of SOM's termination is found to be a shell of a company that was forced into bankruptcy a year or so earlier after it was found to have committed accounting fraud.

*1984 Stanely Raskow, after being unable to secure his new site near Grant Park (even though the site had always been at 300 N LaSalle up this point), threatens to take his project to Texas. Reprtedly the tower has been brought up to the 2,500 foot figure Raskow wanted.

*1984-1986 Raskow commissions Wesse and Assc. for a new WTC design, based on a structural study Wesse had done earlier. This new design is based on an enhancement of the squared tube (eg. Aon, World Trade Center NY) and stands 2,500 feet tall as Raskow earlier intended. ARTICLE

No information after December 1986 is available on Stanely Raskow or his WTC plans.

Thanks again to Mark C. half the stuff in this thread was the result of his digging.

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Bruce Graham / John Zils Bundled Tube

Bruce Graham/ John Zils design. It was the first design for the WTC, but seems it was never intended to be released to the public.

Original Proposal Date: October 27, 1981
Projected Cost: 1 billion (circa 1981) dollars
Height of Rooftop: 2300 feet
Stories: 184
Height of Highest Occupied Floor: 2280 feet
Materials: High strength steel
Fascade Material: Gray and black aluminum
Main Architect: Bruce Grahm of SOM
Main Structural Engineer: John Zils of SOM

The Chicago World Trade Center would truly be an amazing building if built. Here are the facts I know about this building so far. The Chicago World Trade Center would stand 2300 feet high with 184 stories. That is more floors than Aesop had fables! It had a bundled tube design, like the sears tower. The Chicago World Trade Center's design is different, though, being a 5x9 tubed design. Each tube is a 45 foot square. Here is how the building is set up. The first three rows are the full 9 tubes wide and rise the complete 184 stories at 2300 feet. The fourth row is 7 tubes wide and rises up to 80 percent the full height, or to the 150th story at 1845 feet...Finally, the fifth and final row is five tubes wide after the first few stories and rises up to 78 percent the full height, or to the 147th story at 1800 feet...The total amount of rentable space within this building (13.5 million square feet) would have exceeded the amount of rentable space within Sears Tower and both of the original New York WTC twin towers combined!

The engineering of the Chicago World Trade Center project began in 1980 and took a little over a year to complete. Tentative plans for the project were formally announced on October 27, 1981. Groundbreaking took place in February 1982. Excavation on the Chicago World Trade Center's foundation was scheduled to begin in April 1982. Completion of the project was scheduled for late 1988. The building would have been open for buisness by 1990.

Here are a couple more fun facts:

The fourth row of the building, which is seven 45 foot tubes wide is a somewhat darker shade of grey than the rest of the building. The architects made the building's colors this way to help enhance it's splendor even more.

The topmost floor of the CWTC would have been a restaurant that would have enabled people to dine at an altitude of 2280 feet above Chicago!
_

·
Jack-Of-All-Trades
1,391 Posts
Wow! I had always thought these buildings were ugly - at least from the concept sketches.

The first rendered WTC design looks quite modern, and would look quite nice in our skyline, assuming the view from most angles showed the shorter annexing sections. I like the reflectivity you used on it - makes the facade seem kinda similar to Hyatt Center.

The Harry Weese design isn't quite as good, but it does look kinda cool. It looks like something that should be built in LA or something, though.

But the absolute coolest thing about all these is that they are in the Burj's territory...

·
Banned
757 Posts
Wow...STR....that thing just dwarfs the Sears.....and that as they say "is a bold statement"....I wonder what color it was going to be if black it would be the huge monolith in 2001: Space Odyssey

13.5mil sq ft of space......geezuz....that is probably more sq footage than several CBD's of respectable cities.....I wonder who would've rented it or if it wouldv'e been a vertical ghost town

tall, broad, and massive very chicago if you ask me.....is say build it what the hell.....lets get the Asian gov'ts many of whom are using CHicago as their distributioon capital to place facilities in it, as well as drawing some of the banks we have lost in the recent years.

maybe if soy-bean, corn-stuff can ever replace oil as a primary energy source some huge soy-corn-oil producer could move into it :)

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My favorie is the Fazlur Khan design. Not only is it better looking, but it was a revolutionary design, just like Sears and Hancock were. It also thins out towards the top more than the others, so it isn't as dominating.

forumly_chgoman said:
13.5mil sq ft of space......geezuz....that is probably more sq footage than several CBD's of respectable cities.....I wonder who would've rented it or if it wouldv'e been a vertical ghost town
I calculated 13,674,825 square feet.

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just thought I'd bump this one. I spent a lot of time gathering all this info, it would be a shame to loose it, if I hadn't been going through my bookmarks, it very well might have been.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I cant believe this was a serious proposal, it seems so unreal even by todays standards. Back then, it must have seemed even crazier. I do like the first design though.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I recall the WTC discussions in the 80's. The proposal mainly centered on the soon to be Quaker HQ proprty. Now 353 North Clark. It was right at the beginning of an Office tower mini boom that started with 3 First National and brought us Pru2, NBC, 181 Madsion, AT&T, and Mag Mile.

I don't think there is any demand now for that many large floor plates in the office market. Not until Chicago lands a banking HQ!

·
Jack-Of-All-Trades
1,391 Posts
Since this is 1988, that would make this the most recent of the WTC designs. I didn't know they had hired David Childs, though.

I'm also kinda pissed that, instead of the Hotel Nikko design shown here, we ended up with that thing.

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Was there a point to this 3+ year bump?
It was a "I don't have these images anymore and I want to save them now that I've refound them, but I'm not at home." kinda thing.

STR is back?! That's news.
Yeah, and thanks to Autodesk's new 3 year student licenses, I have a shiny new (FREE) copy of 3DS Max 2011. I'm still just messing around with it, mostly as a way of procrastinating important things (specifically my capstone paper). I've unfortunately lost some of my artwork, though none of the models themselves (I guess I forgot to back up a folder, oh well) nor any of the research material. I think I'll try the original SOM CWTC idea posted in #1. Until then, here's me messing around with my Chicago model and something I download from SciFi Meshes:

I still have to play with all the new rendering settings.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts