SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although no American airport made it into the top 10. 6 of the top 10 were in Asia, the highest ranked airport in the US was Minneapolis/St Paul International, ranked 20th overall.

"The poll ranked more than 150 of the world's biggest airports according to 31 factors, including cleanliness, security and check-in procedures, and entertainment options like gyms and gamerooms. Some 5.5 million people from more than 90 countries participated."

"Only 3 of the top 10 were in Europe, and none were in the United States. The best-performing American airport was Minneapolis, ranked No. 20 overall"

http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/12/pf/goodlife/airports/index.htm?cnn=yes

·
Registered
15 Posts
Neat article. I've been to the airport in Copenhagen...it's very modern, stylish, and spotless. Not surprised it made the top ten.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Good for Minnepolis. I never went to that airport, so I don't know how Minneapolis's airport feels like but glad its in the top 20.

Btw, i couldnt see the complete list. I could see the top 10.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
In the US--Minneapolis is a nice airport--I would have to say that Detroit's new terminal could make the list, but while Northworst is still using the army barracks, this would have to qualify Detroit as one of the worst. The last time I was there, there were people sitting on the floor waiting to leave for at least ten different regional flights through a single gate. Those waiting were uncomfortable and RUDE; I really felt for the two gate agents trying to handle that logistical nightmare.

The new San Francisco international terminal is also very nice, and internationally, I would have to agree with the list the Incheon-Seoul and Kansai-Osaka are outstanding airports. Easy to use, with great restaurants inspiring architecture. Vancouver is also nice, if hard to navigate.

The new Chubu-Nagoya airport is supposed to be very nice--built along the same lines as Kansai-Osaka, but with an outdoor hot springs where you can soak after a long flight and watch planes take off and land. Can you image a spa at a utilitarian US airport??

·
Living for the city
348 Posts
ManageMich said:
Very surprised that Detroit Metro isn't on this list.
It's not too surprising with the Smith Terminal still being used. It easy navigate and not too crowed, but it is old and a little dirty. I am going to miss it in a way my grandfather helped build it when DDOT went on strike in the late 50's so I always found a little cool go through that building.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Yeah, once they replace the Smith and Berry Terminals with the new Terminal, Detroit will probably shoot up in the rankings. Just look at what the McNamara Terminal did when it opened.

·
Hi
1,396 Posts
Minneapolis is very nice except for the bathrooms. They have the smelliest, worst bathrooms I've ever used, but no airports are good in this respect...

Still, I love Detroit's NorthWest terminal. It's clean and very nice... I'm surprised thats not on there.

·
tä-gE
171 Posts
it used to be the same case here but a new terminal was built that handles most non-northwest flights and it is quite nice, nicer than parts of the main terminal in some respects, but it is already too small to comfortably handle the volume of traffic it receives at peak hours. They already want to expand it and move more carriers there so the main terminal would only be for northwest and its affiliates.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was speaking specifically about the McNamara Terminal. You're right, once the other terminals are complete, Detroit Metro will be first on my list overall even though I usually only fly Northwest and consider the McNamara to be the best terminal I've ever been through. My least favorite is a tie between Dulles and O'Hare.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts