SkyscraperCity banner

141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
I guess you have never been there to say that - the whole bridge crosses a 8+8 lane highway (Marginal Pinheiros) and a 4+4 lane Avenue (Berrini). It was built to give another option to cars to get to the main highway (Imigrantes) to the seashore of the state, as today access to this highway is extremely crowded by trucks.

I tend to agree with rafaelfri - Whilst the bridge is a beautiful engineering feat, was it neccessary? The alignment seems to be forced rather than required. This is where a fine line is drawn between form and function. Some structures around the world have function that take priority, form is then achieved by coincidence or just pure luck. This has neither, unless someone can expalin why the alignment is the way it us.:)

·
Registered
787 Posts
I tend to agree with rafaelfri - Whilst the bridge is a beautiful engineering feat, was it neccessary?
Believe us, it was necessary. The place where it is and the need to connect the 4-lane avenue with the 8-lane road makes the construction quite trick, because each side of the bridge ends right in the middle of either the avenue or the road, in a way that cars can take one or another without the need of waiting traffic lights, so it had to be curved.

I know it may seems strange, but take a look at GE and I´m sure you´ll notice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been in Sao Paulo this week, and driven past this beautiful bridge several times. I'll be back in a few weeks, and would like to bring my camera to take some decent photographs (my blackberry doesn't cut it!). Where are good, traffic-safe locations, with good views of the different aspects of this bridge?

·
Registered
19,521 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
mopc - thank you, that's very helpful. The path along the river in your first photograph looks promising. Generally, however, the area does not look to be very pedestrian friendly, and I'd want to be able to place a camera on a tripod.

Cheers, T

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
mopc - thank you, that's very helpful. The path along the river in your first photograph looks promising. Generally, however, the area does not look to be very pedestrian friendly, and I'd want to be able to place a camera on a tripod.

Cheers, T
No its not pedestrian friendly, as I said, but the spot on post 148 is quite accessible, you should take the metro CPTM line 9 and drop off at Berrini station, north of the bridge. Eventually you will find the best non-car spots to see the bridge.

141 - 156 of 156 Posts