Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
9,529 Posts
Interesting. The location is a bit weird.. Unless reading station and the other storage silos also become museums then it makes sense I guess.
It will also cost a little more than 'millions'.
IMO it should be in JLM museums quarter
So far gehry has not been lucky here his two previous projects were built in other's design.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
How boring.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Not a fan of this architecture design at all.

And I don't see how it relates to the subject of the museum.

Location choice is good though, and to add a museum will continue to improve the area, although they need to improve the parking lot there that is always full.

As for the subject of the museum - I would prefer if they build a Science Museum here. (I'm not sure a 'Jewish Museum' can have wide appeal or attract so many tourists, although there is a good one in Moscow).

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I really hope this grandiose project won't ever get built in TLV !

It is just a pompous design alienated to the city's environment like a gigantic spacecraft landed in the middle of what is supposed to be the extension of the Yarkon park and the posh North Star neighborhood.

I also don't give a hoot whether Frank Gehry is one of the world’s most lauded architects since his design proves he lacks any sense of place, let alone its landscape. The project seems to be pretty much foreign to architectural language of Tel Aviv and its fine collection of International and Bauhaus style buildings. Tel Aviv doesn't need an iconic building in the stye of the opera house in Sydney or the like, it has its own vibe and anything else will be just distracting.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Yes, Tel Aviv should have an iconic building but in the CBD zone!

Ron Huilda should be fired! He is a bad mayor that doesnt give a f about the beauty of Tel Aviv and let developers to build many ugly identical towers with ugly designs and etc at ridiculous locations

WE DEMAND A NEW MAYOR to fix Tel Aviv and build a huge CBD zone with many beautiful skyscrapers along main roads where People walk around and stop building skyscrapers next to the beach

·
9,947 Posts
Well, this one is just too weird.
I wouldn't mind SOME sort of iconic building in Tel Aviv, but this one just doesn't fit.
Regarding the locaiton, I think the best place to put something like that is obviously the seafront.
That would look much nicer say next to David Promenade towers (just like Opera house in Sidney looks good among skyscrapers on Sydney's seafront.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I agree with you all, away with Gehry-esque architecture. The idea of a Jewish Museum is nice but the architecture sucks!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with you all, away with Gehry-esque architecture. The idea of a Jewish Museum is nice but the architecture sucks!

It's not Gehry-esque, it's Gehry! I think this will be a lovely addition to Tel Aviv.

There are many Jewish museums, but most focus on the holocaust and the struggle of the Jewish people. A museum celebrating the accomplishments of the Jewish people sounds amazing.

Jews have arguably contributed more to humanity than any other group - and we make up less than 0.02% of the population! We have shaped modern society. Google, Facebook, Snapchat, Salesforce, Oracle, Dell, Cisco, and many other tech companies - started by Jews. There are many notable Jews in Hollywood (actors, directors, and musicians). Einstein and many other scientists were Jews. The first lasers, the defibrillator, GMOs, stainless steel, even capitalism has Jewish roots. The idea of a moral conscience (right vs. wrong) was initially a Jewish concept. Jews are incredibly over represented as Nobel Prize winners.

If this turns out like any of Ghery's (also a Jew) other buildings, it'll be a stunner!

Furthermore, this project is being led by the people who funded the Canadian Museum of Human Rights in Winnipeg, which was hailed as a great success and an architectural icon.

I think the location near the ocean, Port of Tel Aviv, and Yarkon Park will attract many people and be visible from afar.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The park actually needs a museum (many families go to the park for the afternoon, and a museum visit would be a good addition make it a worthwhile visit - currently just the park alone is not really enough). So I think it's a perfect location for a museum.

The carpark up there needs to be improved a lot though (it's one of the worst to park in ).

I would prefer a more classical/traditional building. Especially so near to the sea, it could be a kind of villa style.*

As for the theme of the museum. Jewish history museums can be quite interesting (the best one is in Moscow), but I think I'd prefer to visit a science museum in this location (something better than Madatech).

---

*I'd like a traditional building inspired by this style (photo of a Bosphorus villa) - that has a more warm/museum feeling to it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I really hope this grandiose project won't ever get built in TLV !

It is just a pompous design alienated to the city's environment like a gigantic spacecraft landed in the middle of what is supposed to be the extension of the Yarkon park and the posh North Star neighborhood.

I also don't give a hoot whether Frank Gehry is one of the world’s most lauded architects since his design proves he lacks any sense of place, let alone its landscape. The project seems to be pretty much foreign to architectural language of Tel Aviv and its fine collection of International and Bauhaus style buildings. Tel Aviv doesn't need an iconic building in the stye of the opera house in Sydney or the like, it has its own vibe and anything else will be just distracting.
Starchitecture to the max. It's ugly as.

BTW, Gehry buildings are known for being plagued with issues.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Lol'd so hard on this comment I nearly cried
Seriously a roman neoclassic villa for a museum on Judaism? What do you propose for a museum on hinduism, a british castle? :lol:
Well how is less inappropriate than a crazy modern building?

Though I was thinking more that we should have a Science Museum in this location, which would be more popular than a Judaism museum. If you see the Science Museum in London, it has a neoclassical style. It gives it a more old/museum atmosphere on the outside.

But inside it's quite modern feeling:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Often when trying to construct a new building in a historic styles it ends up looking cheesy.

Furthermore, I think Tel Aviv is an extremely appropriate place for a World Jewish Museum. It is the new Jewish metropolis and the heart of the Startup Nation.

This museum will contain scientific discoveries, but also cultural, business and artistic contributions.

A science museum could be anywhere, and Israel already has a pretty good one. As for a Jewish museum about our contribution to humanity, only a few places (especially Tel Aviv) are appropriate.

I think a striking and unique modern design (designed by a Jew, and one of the most famous architects in the world) will show that Jews have influenced the past and will continue to influence the future. Trying to copy an old European design doesn't seem very appropriate for this type of museum. It needs to make a statement, just as the Jews have on humankind.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
We need a good science museum in Tel Aviv though. And nothing in Israel is like the science museum in London.

If you have a special interest in Jewish subjects - we already have Beit Hatfutsot in Tel Aviv (it's true that the Jewish museum in Moscow is ten times better though), not to mention the Israel Museum in Jerusalem.

So I agree it's a great place for a museum, but I would go with a science museum. It'll probably best if they held some kind of national vote for what kind of museum though - also this would be a great way to build enthusiasm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts