Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
11,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PricewaterhouseCoopers has ranked the most attractive global cities in the world. London came in at number one, followed by New York City (told you all) and Toronto. Sydney made an appearance for the first time, at number nine. My favourite part of this article is the comments... oh did Sydney cop it, seems many don't think it's worthy of even being on the list :lol:

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-essentials/travel-news/london-tops-survey-for-most-attractive-global-city-20140521-38nar.html

The top ten:

1. London
2. New York City
3. Singapore
4. Toronto
5. San Francisco
6. Paris
7. Stockholm
8. Hong Kong
9. Sydney
10. Chicago

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
sweetie, this list is to do with economics and culture and is obviously bias. Doesn't mean London is the most attractive city in the world physically, that would be just plain wrong.

Paris is the most beautiful big city in the world and shits on every other on that list. It is also the most cultured/cultural. To put it in sixth place shows obvious bias by an English speaking company...ridiculous. NYC is big, bold, exciting but it ain't pretty sugar!

this comment sums it up

London is one of the most depressing cities I have ever roamed. I felt suicidal there on a prolonged working holiday. Paris is an endless delight which had me transfixed. Comparison surveys like this are senseless exercises by marketing boffins.

CommenterRichardoLocationSydneyDate and timeMay 21, 2014, 11:06AM
Just another BS survey...lol

·
I need to find myself
5,584 Posts
Pattaya is the most attractive city in the world. I evaluate their attractiveness by baht and hour.

Reactions: mw123

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Paris is the most beautiful big city in the world and shits on every other on that list. It is also the most cultured/cultural. To put it in sixth place shows obvious bias by an English speaking company...ridiculous. NYC is big, bold, exciting but it ain't pretty sugar!

this comment sums it up

Just another BS survey...lol
Speak for yourself. I'd rank Sydney as by far the worlds most beautiful big city and NYC as the worlds most exciting and architecturally interesting city.
Paris is nice but I find the city to be over designed and the build form to be repetitive.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Speak for yourself. I'd rank Sydney as by far the worlds most beautiful big city and NYC as the worlds most exciting and architecturally interesting city.
Paris is nice but I find the city to be over designed and the build form to be repetitive.
Sydney is beautiful physically because of its setting like Rio and Istanbul. You could build a favela on Sydney harbour and it would still be beautiful, but as far as built environment goes Paris out-classes all other cities in the world. Istanbul is by far, being such an ancient city with many layers, the world's most diverse and interesting city architecturally.

Maybe you haven't been to Paris? Also, Sydney beyond the innercity/harbourside suburbs is arguably pretty mediocre whereas Paris has 20+ radial arrodisements (districts) of palatial curtained, tree-lined streetscapes before it turns into ugly Le Corbusier inspired highrise suburbia. Do you think as a Sydneysider you may be a tad bias?

This is a BS article and survey.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
The survey has abosulutely nothing to do with how beautiful a city is. The survey itself is called Cities of Opportunity. And it isn't worth getting too excited about Sydney coming in the top 10 of a survey with only 30 contenders in it.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Sydney is beautiful physically because of its setting like Rio and Istanbul.
No, as on top of natural beauty Sydney also offers just as much quality in architectural beauty. And this is what truly makes the city work. Sydney has a great mix of beautiful build form and beautiful nature.
Perhaps a better comparison than Rio or Istanbul would be Hong Kong, given the beautiful harbour and mountains it sits on, together with impressive modern architecture.

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
...yeah, but where did you get those shoes..and that hat ? where have you been ? Sale at Penny's...? Not that there is anything wrong with that...It's a big building with shops but that's not important right now...do you like Gladiator movies ? Hanging out at the Gym...? have you ever seen a grown man naked ? ( If you didn't see 'Flying High' disregard this post... )

1 - 20 of 53 Posts