SkyscraperCity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 866 Posts
Well, one has to include the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele in Milan. Some may call this an Arcade, but it is essentually a shopping mall in all respects due to it's size. Finished in 1878 and still going strong.

Yes, shopping malls can be beautiful, and no need to fake them like the Las Vegas one.

Eek! Having recently visited Venice, I can say that the Las Vegas mall looks nothing like the real thing. It just looks trashy. Sorry, but it really is a lame attampt to recreate history. There are many beautiful "real" historical buildings in the US, but this attempt to emulate history just doesn't work.

Justme said:
Eek! Having recently visited Venice, I can say that the Las Vegas mall looks nothing like the real thing. It just looks trashy. Sorry, but it really is a lame attampt to recreate history. There are many beautiful "real" historical buildings in the US, but this attempt to emulate history just doesn't work.
Of course its not an attempt to be exactly like the real thing. Its supposed to be a clean facsimile. That's what Vegas is, a sort of fantasyland. Luxor is not like the real pyramids, NYNY is not like the real NY, and on and on in Vegas.

:banana2: :banana2: Agree... comparing Venice with Vegas is like comparing ***** with ***** ....... I am new bie here and I am going to Vegas next week. Venice is next destination.... :banana2:

Well, here in Guadalajara, Mexico, we have wonderfulls malls, "Galerias Guadalajara" it's for me one of the most beautiful in all Mexico and maybe in LatinAmerican.
The city is famous for the number of malls per cápita.

Galerías Guadalajara

^^Simple but nice.

Yeah, the Vittorio Emanuele Gallery is in another league.There is a similar one in Brussels I guess, but I don't know the name.

The Galerías Guadalajara while impressive, clean, and modern... Doesnt fit into this category IMO.

Because it looks just like every other new 'mall' built these days (Obviously a bit more than average).. But nothign compared to the other ones posted so far

rotten777 said:
I'm not of malls either, they are practically all the same anyway.

But...Deira City Centre in Dubai and the Mall of America in Minnesota are the best malls I've ever been to. The malls in Connecticut suck ass.
Malls are different in each country.In young western countries like America,Canada,Australia and New Zealand the malls all look the same.

In Japan they take a different look.Europe different again.

I was impressed with the one in Milan

I have to say my favourite malls are Namba parks,Osaka and Roppongi Hills in Tokyo

Nick said:
Malls are different in each country.In young western countries like America,Canada,Australia and New Zealand the malls all look the same.

In Japan they take a different look.Europe different again.

I was impressed with the one in Milan

I have to say my favourite malls are Namba parks,Osaka and Roppongi Hills in Tokyo
I've never been to a Mall in Europe or Japan to judge...

But, Malls here look the same, as you said. They might have different designs, but they all have the same stores.

21 - 40 of 866 Posts