SkyscraperCity Forum banner

World's Most Beautiful Malls

751K views 865 replies 428 participants last post by  rikardo2000 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
World's Most Beautiful Malls

The Dubai Mall by Ahmed Alkuhaili, on Flickr

hmm..thought this thread would be interesting...post em' picx people :)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Good idea for a thread, but I fear it will turn out to be a "Let's show my city's biggest mall" rather than basing it on beauty.

I'll start this by showing the Vasco da Gama Mall in Lisbon. Not my own city, and not the biggest mall in Lisbon, but in my opinion one of the most beatiful I have seen. Unfortunately it can't be explained in photos very well. But as soon as you arrive by the great rail station, you enter the large main atrium where the glass roof is entirely covered by flowing water, with the sun shining through. Besides the usual assortment of shops, there is a massive rooftop terrace filled with large beer gardens, with views overlooking one of the world's best waterfront parks filled with modern architecture. You can get a good idea of the area here or http://www.pbase.com/jchambers/lisbon_nationals]here[/URL] (Truely an amazing place)

Arriving by train:

Then lets go shopping

#7 ·
We have about 3 or 4 large ones around Manchester. The Trafford Centre, The Lowry and Manchester Arndale. The Manchester Arndale is ment to be one of the Biggest in europe when its finished later this year but its still petty shit. I prefer the Old High Streets to the indoor Malls.

#21 ·
Well, one has to include the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele in Milan. Some may call this an Arcade, but it is essentually a shopping mall in all respects due to it's size. Finished in 1878 and still going strong.

Yes, shopping malls can be beautiful, and no need to fake them like the Las Vegas one.

#24 ·
Eek! Having recently visited Venice, I can say that the Las Vegas mall looks nothing like the real thing. It just looks trashy. Sorry, but it really is a lame attampt to recreate history. There are many beautiful "real" historical buildings in the US, but this attempt to emulate history just doesn't work.

#25 ·
Justme said:
Eek! Having recently visited Venice, I can say that the Las Vegas mall looks nothing like the real thing. It just looks trashy. Sorry, but it really is a lame attampt to recreate history. There are many beautiful "real" historical buildings in the US, but this attempt to emulate history just doesn't work.
Of course its not an attempt to be exactly like the real thing. Its supposed to be a clean facsimile. That's what Vegas is, a sort of fantasyland. Luxor is not like the real pyramids, NYNY is not like the real NY, and on and on in Vegas.