SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Advance Kingstonia!
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching for news of our fair city on the Interwebs always brings up stories related to our various international namesakes. Often including some startling parallels and coincidences.

But what do we know about them? Has anybody ever visited another Hull? Does anybody have any trivia or historical information about them? I know of those in North America- in Massachussetts, Illinois and Ontario - as far as I can tell they were all small coastal towns now eaten up respectively by the metropolitan sprawls of Boston, Chicago and Ottowa.

I spotted this from the Boston.com site to get us started:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...on_east_coast_to_reap_benefits_of_wind_power/

Hull harvests rewards of wind power
Hull Wind 1 is the first commercial-scale wind turbine built on the East Coast.
Wind turbine projects have faced harsh criticism in many places, but not so in Hull, which has been reaping the benefits of wind power for a long time. This seaside community is home to two modern wind turbines that generate electricity for the town, and has been hailed as a wind power success story.

The very tip of the Hull peninsula is called Windmill Point — a name that dates back to the 1820s, when a windmill here was used to help make salt. In the production process, the windmill was used to pump seawater into vats where the salt could be harvested.

In the 1980s the town installed a modern-day windmill on Windmill Point, next to Hull High School. From 1985 until 1996, this 40-kilowatt wind turbine helped reduce the school’s electricity bills by about $70,000.

After the turbine was damaged in a windstorm in 1997, a group of residents and teachers rallied to replace it. The town’s electric utility agreed to own and maintain a new turbine.

In 2001, the Hull Municipal Light Plant put the project out to bid, and ultimately settled on a model by Vestas Wind Systems, a company based in Denmark. Construction started that November and on Dec. 27 the new 660-kilowatt turbine — known as Hull Wind 1 — went online. Standing 164 feet tall with 75-foot-long blades, it was the first commercial-scale wind turbine of its kind to operate on the East Coast. During its first year of operation, it produced enough electricity to power 250 homes for the year.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Searching for news of our fair city on the Interwebs always brings up stories related to our various international namesakes. Often including some startling parallels and coincidences.

But what do we know about them? Has anybody ever visited another Hull? Does anybody have any trivia or historical information about them? I know of those in North America- in Massachussetts, Illinois and Ontario - as far as I can tell they were all small coastal towns now eaten up respectively by the metropolitan sprawls of Boston, Chicago and Ottowa.

I spotted this from the Boston.com site to get us started:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...on_east_coast_to_reap_benefits_of_wind_power/
...and how about Hull is open to monorail-style transit plan!

Steve
Dinostar - The Dinosaur Experience

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Maybe change this thread's title to World's other Hull's and Twin Cities?

Anyway, not another Hull, but a twin city:

Hull's offer of help to Japanese sister city Niigata, hit by devastating quake

BROUGHT TO ITS KNEES: People walk through the devastation in northern Japan yesterday. (AP Photo/The Yomiuri Shimbun, Tsuyoshi Matsumoto)
HULL'S council leader has sent a message of support to sister city Niigata hit by the devastating Japanese earthquake.

The city, which lies 186 miles north-west of Tokyo, was hit by a 6.7 magnitude tremor on Saturday morning after Friday's magnitude 9 quake.

The second earthquake, which is thought to be the largest in the area in 1,200 years, was triggered by the massive tsunami that hit the country's north-east coast.

Councillor Carl Minns, leader of Hull City Council, told the Mail he had written to the city's ambassador to offer assistance.

He said: "Many people in Hull have contacted us about Niigata and so I have written to the ambassador to see what help can be given.

"The contacts Hull has made around the world really came good for us during the floods four years ago and a lot of people will remember that.

"The scale of this disaster can't be compared, but we want to know if there are any practical measures we can take to be of assistance to people in Niigata.

"We want them to know there's a lot of people in Hull thinking of them who want to help."

http://www.thisishullandeastriding....p-Niigata/article-3328932-detail/article.html

Soo many idiotic comments from people scared this means they may lose out on something locally and spend the whole time using it as an outlet to again whinge at Minns - this is why Labour will get in - too many sheep who'll only be voting against Minns because it's the 'cool thing to be seen doing'. At no point in the article does Minns state, 'we will look to provide financial aid'.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
It is admirable what Carl Minns is saying about Hulls' twin city in Japan, but please Dazzar, rise above the politics of it.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Rise above the politics of it? How is it politics? ...you're saying Minns has only announced this to win votes!?? Look at the comments! as I mentioned, more people are using this as an outlet to slag him off, yet again - so hardly a vote winning scheme.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
No not at all, why would I use the phrase 'admirable' if I was suggesting its just more electioneering?

You are as bad as the posters on the HDM site if you yourself are using this as an arena to vent your own political bias, which you seem to have done on that post instead of focussing on the actual content of the article.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
It was more a bit of both:

Maybe I should have grouped them together better, like;

"Soo many idiotic comments from people scared this means they may lose out on something locally and spend the whole time using it as an outlet to again whinge at Minns. At no point in the article does Minns state, 'we will look to provide financial aid'.
-----------------------
Then the political bit of:

"this is why Labour will get in - too many sheep who'll only be voting against Minns because it's the 'cool thing to be seen doing'".

I'm not really showing a 'political bias' - as I live outside the city boundary, I won't make any impact via voting. I'm just stating my opinion - I'd stick up for Labour if I believed they'd be doing the right things too - but as KUH's post on the other thread states; so far Labour are looking like a bunch of dinosaurs with out-dated methods, but are getting a lot of support because they're saying 'We'll make sure all the current council freebies remain!'

As I've mentioned before, in the past when I've tried contacting councillors and MP's, the Lib-Dem's are the only ones who have ever given me the time of day... surely that is what an MP is supposed to do? listen to the people who their actions will effect? ...If they aren't even willing to do that, then they're not very good at their jobs are they!??

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
"this is why Labour will get in - too many sheep who'll only be voting against Minns because it's the 'cool thing to be seen doing'".
That is a completely unfair assumption, alot of intelligent people do not like Minns too or do you find that hard to believe?

As for the rest, that is your experience, but such is the way of politics other people have differing experiences and wants/needs for which the Lib Dems perhaps do not stand up for, but my point is that the article should not be a stage for any political bias (whether you can vote or not) either way, and you suggesting that people are using the article to vent their spleens about Minns, are just as bad by using the terms as 'sheep voting agains Minns', that is clear political bias.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Do you know WHY you don't like Minns and want him out of power though? That is what I am getting at.

It's not political bias when you can't vote - it is favouritism. I'd favour Minns running the city over Brady any day.

Reasons why I've already stated - dinosaurs. I'd much prefer to see a youthful council with new, fresh ideas wanting to take the city forwards, not 'keep it in it's place'.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Reasons why I've already stated - dinosaurs. I'd much prefer to see a youthful council with new, fresh ideas wanting to take the city forwards, not 'keep it in it's place'.
Yes as do I, but I dont believe any of the current runners fit that description.

Do you know WHY you don't like Minns and want him out of power though?
Yes, because he has annoyed a number of people he should really not be annoying. He does an awful lot of electioneering. Decisions to axe certain traditional events over others of his own parties constructions (which should be privately funded), the list could go on.

Not once have I said Im a Labour supporter, and for the record Im not, but nor do I see the Lib Dems taking this city forward either.

By the way, favoritism=bias.

·
Hullensian...
1,023 Posts
Without wanting to start a full political debate I would imagine Pugs none love of Mr Minns would have a fair bit to do with his blindness in avaioding the south bank in the Humber LEP shambles.

Not once have I said Im a Labour supporter, and for the record Im not, but nor do I see the Lib Dems taking this city forward either.
Totally agree.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Yes as do I, but I dont believe any of the current runners fit that description.
The current head of the planning commitee is in his 20's! How old will the Labour one be? Abi Bell, the deputy head of the council is in her late 20's I think too.

·
Advance Kingstonia!
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Without wanting to start a full political debate I would imagine Pugs none love of Mr Minns would have a fair bit to do with his blindness in avaioding the south bank in the Humber LEP shambles.
And he's right to raise questions about it, I fully agree.

To put it in massively overblown and highly inappropriate terms the LEP is definitely Minns' 'Iraq'. It could turn out to be the one decision that overshadows a relatively successful and impressive term in office. :lol:

There is no debate to be had about whether the city is in a better state overall than when the Lib-dems came in IMO. No matter how many negative chumps stick their oar in on the HDM meffboard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts