SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does your city have a World size building in 2006, tallest, largest, etc..

1. Here in Philadelphia we have city hall at 548 feet it's the worlds tallest masonry building without steel beams.

This means it stands on solid concrete and not supported by steel which reduces the weight on the outter walls.

2. U.S. mint Philadelphia worlds largest mint facility.

What's your great cities 2006 Worlds tallest or biggest structure, park, skyscraper, building etc?

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
I would think that Sears Tower has the world's biggest office space volume.

However, I am not sure if the John Hancock Center is still the world's tallest residential buildings or some other residential building in Asia has taken over?
:)

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
mid-town said:
World's tallest in 2009-Freedom Tower

There are pictures and info of the Freedom Tower on this website.
www.projectrebirth.com
I think that it isn't a fact yet! Gotta watch out for cities like Dubai, Chicago, HK and Shanghai in 2009! :)

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
mid-town said:
World's tallest in 2009-Freedom Tower

There are pictures and info of the Freedom Tower on this website.
www.projectrebirth.com
I believe Burj Dubai is to be completed by 2008, so it would take a back seat to that. Didn't the completion date get pushed back to 2012 though? If that's the case, it would come up short in NA assuming Fordham Spire in Chicago keeps going strong.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
weill said:
Roanoke - Worlds largest man made star (you can see a picture of it in my avatar)
Cool, that is one huge man made star, where is it? I didn't notice it last time I visited Roanoke! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Rochester... the highest waterfall within a city limits in the world (this is just north of Downtown). Creativly named "High Falls"

·
Registered
754 Posts
New Orleans lays claim to the world's longest bridge. The Lake Ponchatrain Causeway is over 24 miles long.

DFW Int'l Airport might have a claim to the airport with the most active runways. The airport has 7 runways.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
the pentagon is bigger than the sears tower.

@ RP1, what's the story about that Chicago Temple Building? the ulm cathederal (530') in germany is the tallest church in the world. is that building in chicago mixed use?

@ rocguy, arnt niagara falls in the city limits of their respective cities?

901' williams tower (houston); tallest building outside of CBD:

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Oh, Chicago has world's largest freight rail network and also the only city in the world with all six rail classes! :)

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
jmancuso said:
@ RP1, what's the story about that Chicago Temple Building? the ulm cathederal (530') in germany is the tallest church in the world. is that building in chicago mixed use?
Yeah it is a mixed use building. Floors 5-21 are offices, the building contains 3 sanctuaries, there's a 2-story main sanctuary on the ground floor seating 1,200; the Dixon Chapel on the 2nd floor; and the "Sky Chapel" below the steeple, 400 feet high. The Sky Chapel is too small for most masses, but is commonly used for special events like baptisms, weddings, and funerals. But yeah you're right, the ulm is the tallest actual church.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
^yeah, I'm pretty sure you can get into all three. It seems the first floor sanctuary is the only one that still holds mass, but the sky chapel attracts thousands a year so you can get yourself up there too.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
jmancuso said:
@ rocguy, arnt niagara falls in the city limits of their respective cities?

Nope. At least not entirely. That's the real statistic, that High Falls is the highest waterfall entirely within a city limits in the world. But I don't think either of the Niagara falls are in their respective city limits.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I thought Niagara Falls was within the City of Niagara Falls.

I think The Statue of Liberty is the biggest statue with an observation deck.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts