SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should be quite an interesting thing to have a thread on

what Building, do you think has the worst of the worst of the worst architecture you have ever seen.
i mean SERIOUSLY bad architecture

so bad it makes Guys look nice?

my choice...

the tricorn centre portsmouth;
(Thank goodness its gone!)

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
I wouldnt wish the tricorn on any city but it did have some nice tactile shapes. For me i think its any of the buildings along the thames next to st pauls - really awfull for such a prominant site.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^yeah, the Typewriter building is one such example :eek:hno:

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
It's an acquired taste
(acquired slowly and painfully)
:)

I'm being unfair. Coventry's very much a product of the post-war years, and some of its architecture is good for that era. Belgrade Theatre, Broadgate House to name two. Trouble is, much of it is the same, bland style and a lot of it is just cheap and nasty - Cov Uni, for example.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. These 60's buildngs (to clump them all together) will one day be appreciated again. I'm not saying that monstrosoties like the Tricorn shouldn't be pulled down, but a time will come when this architecture (if properly maintained) will be desirable, even if only in the 'it adds to the architectural mix' sense.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
If its anywhere in the world then i really hate imitations like the eiffel tower in Las Vegas, the Pyramids in Las vegas.... ok most of Las Vegas but also the new housing schemes in China such as England town, or French chateauxs for wealthy millionairs - takes away from the country of origin and provides (generally) a poor reproduction

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, there are pictures of that England town somewhere, all the houses and stuff look...well...plastic

·
New Nottingham!
11,894 Posts
The town in Arizona that is trying to be like London. It's got London phone boxes and old looking pubs and hotels. They bought the old London Bridge and it's spanning there man made lake. There are also stories that someone made up of a ghost that comes from underneath the bridge every so often.
A group of stupid Americans thought they were getting Tower Bridge apparently. :lol:

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
20,298 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts