SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
What about all the unbelievably poor suburban stuff eg: mock tudor detached housing, retail parks etc?

If you woke up at either tomorrow you could be anywhere in the UK as they show no identity and soul whatsover. Horrible horrible stuff. Wonder why the suburbs have to be such awful and dull places of architecture (and yes I live in the suburbs myself but hoping to move somewhere more urban in the future). Talking about the other pictures what is that white clad building with small square windows? Is it a telephone exchange?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Broadway Mayalan have a lot to answer for this....
(you either love it or really, really hate it - im def in the latter!)

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Its West Central on Wellington Street in Leeds. Its a reclad of the former Post Office Sorting Office and that incarnation was mentioned in Bill Brysons notes from a small island as one of the Buildings he would most wish to blow up. It became flats but sadly did not turn out as good an example of regenertion as promised. However hopefully next door there should be Lumiere a 170m tall skyscraper that should overshadow this beast of a tower.

This is what it used to look like:

And heres what the renders promised:

Sadly the truth turns out to be a bit of a disapointment! :eek:hno:

·
Registered
370 Posts
dinp said:
Thats awful, where is it?
The old Royal Mail Building Leeds

http://www.westpointleeds.com/

check out the gallery

Trust me this is an improvement over the old concrete hulk it used to be. The side the picture shows is not the best perspective of the scheme.

Building no 3 is definately worse, the 'architect' of this must be proud!

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
what a coincidence! Broadway Malyan are also responsible for my nomination, Baltic Quays in Gateshead:

:( i cant emphasise enough how bad these buildings are. they are far too close to the Baltic Mill art gallery, too bulky, too repetitive, the materials are TERRIBLE stick-on plastic crap, the sides and back are just blank brick walls, worst of all there is a multi-storey carpark fronting onto what should be a riverside boulevard. there's 350 apartments in this individual development and it's saturated the quayside market, impeding the development of empty plots on both sides of the river. this site shouldve accommodated say 150-200 properties but instead theyve raped the site for all its worth (and more) and delivered a shit, oppressive building.

these guys must be the worst architects/developers in the country.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
oh that's embarrrasing accy, seen it in the manchester forum. it's in no way different to the terrible 60s towers, although i bet the apartments in st georges are smaller than they were then.

·
Trainee Apprentice MOD
7,884 Posts

WHAT THE SHITTING BUGGERY BOLLOCKY BUM SHITTING FUCKITY SHITHOUSE FUCKITY **** **** IS THAT UGLY TONNE OF SHITTING FUCKING SHIT !

HAS ANYTHING CHANGED SINCE THE GOD AWFUL PERIOD OF ILLUSION THAT WAS THE 60'S !

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
dinp said:
They're a bit more colourful this time round :lol:

Tis about all....
st george's isn't! you can see how little they differentiate from 60s council blocks in this photo, St Georges is to the left of that converted chimney thing

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Broadway Malyan are responsible for this car crash of a development at Salford Quays. Agggghhhh, its so horrible!!

They really are responsible for some shocking buildings.

·
Disco and drugs trade
15,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Val Verde said:
Talking about the other pictures what is that white clad building with small square windows? Is it a telephone exchange?

It's a(n) Hotel!

Here have another picture, incidently on the far left of the picture is another hotel, which would you rather stay in?

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
In defence of West Point (a difficult task, i know) I'm not sure whether it can be called one of the 'worst new buildings in Britain' as it's a reclad of a 1970s sorting office, and the pictures you provide do not show the completed building.

1 - 20 of 314 Posts