SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The NRL referees have made some shocking decisions this year.

My number one pick is the Jamal Idris no try for the Bulldogs against St George Illawarra back in May.

Feel free to discuss bad decisions from previous years.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
The 'forward pass' that denied Newcastle a win over the Tigers back in about round 6

·
#pantherpride
1,561 Posts
Penrith have had a few dusty decisions... my top pick would be the Lewis 'forward pass' against the Storm earlier this year - flat at best, and the winger had a clear run to the line... it could have been enough to sink them, instead we went down by 2. But none of the decisions against Penrith would make the top 10 in my opinion for this year. There has just been so many. That aside, I think the Puletua try against the Raiders would make the top 10... he was held up by Dugan, and I'm sure most Panthers fans would admit it too.

The Idris no try would definitely be the #1. It was clear as day that Soward milked that.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Where do you start? Jamie Lyon's 'torso' try which was grounded by his hip or the Harrison no-try in the 2nd origin when you could clearly see Tonga passing it backwards .

It is a shame though that the refereeing performances are sometimes overshadowing the actual games but it's got me buggered how they get it so wrong so often.

·
217 Posts
Where do you start? Jamie Lyon's 'torso' try which was grounded by his hip or the Harrison no-try in the 2nd origin when you could clearly see Tonga passing it backwards .

It is a shame though that the refereeing performances are sometimes overshadowing the actual games but it's got me buggered how they get it so wrong so often.
I notice u said Lyons torso try bu I bet u were happy with Qld's torso try werent u :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I notice u said Lyons torso try bu I bet u were happy with Qld's torso try werent u :eek:hno:
In the fair dinkum department they were both no tries and shouldn't have been tries but Lyon's was more ludicrous than Dallas Johnson's! At least Johnson's hit his torso.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I'm also going with the Bulldogs no try against St George earlier in the season. That one still makes me angry.

·
Banned
481 Posts
Brisbane v Melbourne in Brisbane earlier this year. knock-on by the Brisbane player which wasn't penalised and a try resulted. That was the worst decision because it was a black/white decision in an open area that everyone saw...except the ref. Considering that Melbourne lost the game by less than a try (I think from memory) means that would have to qualify as the biggest shocker this year.

In tems of the game with the most bad decisions...try the 2006 grand Final on for size...again...Melbourne v Brisbane...and again...Brisbane was the benficiary.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
i cant go past the bulldogs/dragons decision either. the worst in history. nothing has beaten it in my mind.

i can remember for a few weeks afterwards that we were still getting terrible decisions. the torso try was another. it was leaving everyone wondering what the hell was going wrong with the game. since then the refs have cleaned it up a fair bit.

oh, another bad one this year was the young ref who blew time in the souths/parra scrum and denied souths a chance of winning the game. that was another doozy!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Well they've done it again. Last night the video ref, Sean Hampstead gave Penrith a try when you could clearly see that the Penrith player knocked on. Neil Henry was blowing up a treat and it basically cost the Cowboys the game and called for Hampstead's head.

·
#pantherpride
1,561 Posts
^^ I agree... it looked like the ball propelled slightly forward off Cooper... no try.

The Gordon try had a question mark on it too... looked like a no try that was awarded to Hayne against the Cows earlier this year, but benefit of the doubt may have been given as it looked like he may have been pushing it up in the re-gather, not forward... but I would not have blown up if it was awarded no try either.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
^^ I agree... it looked like the ball propelled slightly forward off Cooper... no try.

The Gordon try had a question mark on it too... looked like a no try that was awarded to Hayne against the Cows earlier this year, but benefit of the doubt may have been given as it looked like he may have been pushing it up in the re-gather, not forward... but I would not have blown up if it was awarded no try either.
I can cop the Gordon try but the Cooper knock-on is bewildering.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
A new low last weekend with the Watmough try from the Farrar knock-on and regather. Can it get any worse, what was Bill Harrigan looking at? Cue Mapps to tell us it was a bona-fide try!

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bill Harrigan has been woeful as a video referee.

He was wrong in denying Jarrod Hayne a try in State of Origin I. His foot never went over the touch line and wrecked the momentum that NSW had at the early stage of that match. The outcome of that could have been alot more different if the try was allowed.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
^ His foot never went over the touch line but it did touch the touch line and was therefore out ;)

·
217 Posts
Bill Harrigan has been woeful as a video referee.

He was wrong in denying Jarrod Hayne a try in State of Origin I. His foot never went over the touch line and wrecked the momentum that NSW had at the early stage of that match. The outcome of that could have been alot more different if the try was allowed.
stop kidding yourself - the only reason nsw even came close to winning a game and then winning game 3 is due to bad refereeing decisions and Qld having to get on the gas.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^ His foot never went over the touch line but it did touch the touch line and was therefore out ;)
How could it touch the touch line yet his foot remain in the field of play. Doesnt make sense.

None the less, his foot was in the field of play as shown by the front angle. The sideline view created a false impression.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts