Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth emmigrating to London? I have access to NYC here, but London life seems less frenetic and the scene less obstreperous than NY's dense melange, or am I dillusional? I'd be moving from Washington. I'm looking for a city where there are more interesting things going on, such as skyscrapers, and I like the fact that London is close to mainland europe for trips. I am scared of the high housing costs and the reputation for dreary weather.

·
Registered
30,577 Posts
Dreary weather is a stereotype that really isnt as true as people make out (I mean yes it does have some bad days but so does everywhere). I dont know about less frentic though. High living costs yes, and skyscrapers yes. And if youre looking for more interesting, you hit jackpot with London- one of the most diverse cities on Earth; in terms of architecture, people, geography, things to do- everything.

But you pay the price economically for it, and dont expect it to be "relaxed" because Londoners rush just as much as New Yorkers I would think (I havent been to NYC). Thats the downside, you gotta weigh it all up.

·
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK
1,994 Posts
@aquablue - if you want to move to the most exciting, diverse and vibrant city on the planet then London is for you.

It is also an ideal spot to visit some of the more relaxing cities in Europe via car, train or plane.

In terms of architecture London is at an interesting point because it is going through 'Skyscraper puberty'© at the moment whilst NY is already a 'Skyscraper pensioner' ©.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Depends on what your after and what your language skills are, but personally I prefer the Munich, Barcelona or Amsterdam, as interesting places to live. Better quality of life than London IMO.

That said, if your set on the UK, and you want something to compete with NYC then London is for you!

·
Trainee Apprentice MOD
7,884 Posts
Is it worth emmigrating to London? I have access to NYC here, but London life seems less frenetic and the scene less obstreperous than NY's dense melange, or am I dillusional? I'd be moving from Washington. I'm looking for a city where there are more interesting things going on, such as skyscrapers, and I like the fact that London is close to mainland europe for trips. I am scared of the high housing costs and the reputation for dreary weather.
I dont care what people say to this, but here let me quote Bill Bryson : 'I can never understand why Londoners fail to see they live in the most wonderful city in the world. It is far more beautiful and interesting than Paris, if you ask me, and more lively than anywhere but New York - and even New York can't touch it in lots of important ways.'

Get a flat with me if you like.

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^ thanks for the offer :) I'll consider that if decide to make the move.

Regarding Munich,Barcelona, etc... I've been to Barca, nice city, but don't speak spanish. I speak moderate French and a little italian, but not enough for working.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
I am Spanish and I live in London four months a year, every summer, actually. I live there in order to improve my English and practise it and stuff, but also to enjoy the city, which is my favourite one in the whole world! I would highly recommend it to you, you will never get bored in London!

·
Cute but Psycho...
6,023 Posts
Such a stereotype and not true, its hardly even rained in the last 5 years or so. its sunny quite alot, even in winter(maybe global warming idk). London gets some of the best sunshine and the most warm temperatures in the UK.

·
Registered
30,577 Posts
most warm=warmest ;)

and I dont think I would go as far to say it hasnt rained at all. It has. Alot. Just not as much as people make out.

·
Futurist
38,696 Posts
London might have less rain than other European capitals but its weather is still shit. Grey, dreary, overcast... pretty much all year round, except for maybe 2-3 weeks during the summer.

And it's horrendously overpriced. Don't bother coming here unless you can earn £30K+ (about $60K USD). Even a box room in the outer suburbs will set you back £100/week and you'll probably have to share with about 8 other people.

·
Cute but Psycho...
6,023 Posts
London might have less rain than other European capitals but its weather is still shit. Grey, dreary, overcast... pretty much all year round, except for maybe 2-3 weeks during the summer.
well i dont know where u've been in the last couple of years, its not true.

And it's horrendously overpriced. Don't bother coming here unless you can earn £30K+ (about $60K USD). Even a box room in the outer suburbs will set you back £100/week and you'll probably have to share with about 8 other people.
No arguements there.

·
Better To Do Nothing
10,500 Posts
We must be living in 2 different cities then - i think London has a very generous amount of Sunny days.

The whole month of April was practically sun (the following month was'nt so good, but that was out of the ordinary - and the cloud usually cleared in the afternoon), and we had weeks of crisp clear sun in the Winter.

For the past 5 or so years the weather has been noticeably different - more sunny, far less rain and warmer. I remember about 2 years ago, i counted 6 weeks without seeing any rain (thats not to say it didn't rain in London...it might have, i just didn't see any).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.