SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister and husband made the leap about 2 years ago and love.
After the first 35 years in greater London Ontario and then Vancouver for 14 years decided to blow caution to the wind and moved back to rural Ontario.
They bought a farm and am turning it into an organic farm. They are in a little place named Wardsville. It only has about 800 people and are on HWY#2 exactly between Chatham and London about 50 km from both.
Yes not exactly the total boonies but certainly outside the London commuter shadow. Yjey still go to London about twice a month and do most of their major shopping in Chatham due to London's traffic.
They were certainly urbanites and loved the amenities bit at the same time got 60 acres, two barns, and fixer upper of a house but it was only $180,000.
They also wanted to leave BC because they never really liked the place. They actually know their neighbours and are active in the community, The place is as white as snow except the Korean couple who run the only variety store in the town.
They certainly aren't church goers and are liberal in their views on social issues so they certainly didn't move for the conservative small town attitudes. His sister has also bought a house there and hopes to move there in the next 5 years even though she is certainly a liberal and has a good job in Toronto. Neither she nor my sister has no kids so it's not because of their kids they simply wanted to get out of the rat race.
After visiting her I can see why she loves it with her beautiful farm. Even though I'm gay I would certainly consider such a move.
If you could live in a village or rural area if you could get a job that would approximatly provide a wage that allows you to have the standard of living?
I'm not talking 4 minutes out of the city but a real rural are.
Is it something you would consider?

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
I could live in one of the little leftist enclaves hugging the shore if I had the money but other than that, I think I'll stay in town.

·
~ Mysterious Entity ~
4,860 Posts
We're talking totally outside of a commuter catchment area?

Hmm...

If if were close enough that I could go into town (preferably by commuter train, perhaps after driving 5-10 min) then that would be even better than suburbia. But to go to town no more than 1-2 times per month? I'll have to go with no. And I say that with experience having lived in a rural area for 2.5 years growing up.

A charming small town could possibly be ok though. Or perhaps if I had a small apartment (even just a room) in town that would allow me to split my time. That way even if the commute was too long for everyday, I could work in town 10-12 hr shifts 3-4 days/week and come home on my days off.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I could live in one of the little leftist enclaves hugging the shore if I had the money but other than that, I think I'll stay in town.
Better hope for your hydro bills though that you don't revert to candle light and a wood stove fire. 46% in 5 yrs. :eek:hno:

(I wouldn't mind it)

Dalton McGuinty ---->:bash:<------Ontarioians.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Better hope for your hydro bills though that you don't revert to candle light and a wood stove fire. 46% in 5 yrs. :eek:hno:

(I wouldn't mind it)

Dalton McGuinty ---->:bash:<------Ontarioians.
Those communities typically generate their own power with solar and wind so it doesn't affect them.

Energy prices are going up because demand is going up while supply goes down.

·
Administrator
79,194 Posts
Never. Had enough of it when I was younger and get bored stiff out in the country. Too isolated for my tastes; I enjoy throngs of people and lots of action!
I am definitely not one who loves to "get out of the city". I am generally more excited about "getting back into it"! :D

·
Terminator
8,920 Posts
You are such a city boy TB(me too:)),by the way why would you want to move away from White Rock?its such a nice place to live (well a bit boring I suppose).

·
Grof
407 Posts
Depends what one considers country. There's a few small Ontario towns in which I wouldn't mind living if I had a job. But out on a farm with neighbours all a car trip away? Couldn't do it.

·
Administrator
79,194 Posts
You are such a city boy TB(me too:)),by the way why would you want to move away from White Rock?its such a nice place to live (well a bit boring I suppose).
I remember White Rock as being a retirement destination! I'm not ready for that yet!! Not while I still have a pulse, anyway.....

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The town of White Rock is still geriatric 101 but South Surrey is not and is growing very fast with mostly young families. The population down here is now 80,000.
As for Ontario, I'd rather live there than here.
Anyway back on topic..........

I lived on Salt Spring Island for 5 years and loved it although it's not to removed and is growing like wildfire and is very expensive. It's still a lefty island but is becoming more like Whistler all the time.
If in BC I would certainly consider Nelson but it, like the rest of the province, is expensive.

There is a lot to be said for a small town. When growing up in a small town the first thing you want to do is leave it. Whether for school, to see the big city, or just to get away from the attitudes and everyone knowing your business.
It is different when you are done your post-secondary and you move to an area where you know few if any and therefore everyone knowing your business is because, to an extent, you told them.
I just turned 46 two days ago and it's hard for me to contemplate that not only have big city people's attitudes have changed but so have small town attitudes. When I think of my growing up in Strathroy with the small red neck attitudes and gossip it is hard for me to acknowledge that their attitudes will have greatly changed in last 30 years.
Perhaps it's my narrow mindedness about them that is the real problem and not the other way around.
Maybe it's me that is the prejudicial one and not them.
Could it be that I am the one with the closed mind and not them? Have I become what I hated most........the one who judges others yet never have met them?
Makes one wonder if I have become the bigot.

·
....kay?
550 Posts
Lived in Black Creek on Vancouver Island. It's pretty rural. It's in between Courtenay/Comox/Cumberland and Campbell River. It's really beautiful there and I love it a lot. My parents still live there.

I'd love to live there again actually. Or a small town. Where I'd like to live is Revelstoke or Golden.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
I would never live in the country, but I can totally see myself living somewhere like Eagle Harbour, West Vancouver. Somewhere that feels remote but is only 10 minutes from high-street retail in Ambleside and less than 20 minutes from downtown Vancouver, (closer to downtown than when I lived in Richmond). In the below pic, that mass of land jutting into the background is UBC.

·
Less is More
3,044 Posts
God NO!

Ottawa is bad enough...
Lol, I get deer in my backyard there all the time, and I'm in the centre of Kanata. Ottawa is basically this big city surrounded by kilometres of absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Those communities typically generate their own power with solar and wind so it doesn't affect them.

Energy prices are going up because demand is going up while supply goes down.
We're you get that from? They're going up because of Dalton's stupid idea of converting to solar and wind and ditching coal. (He should've invested in a way to make coal cleaner).

1 - 20 of 85 Posts