Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Images of cityscapes
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Photos suspended railway Wuppertal

The 1901 schwebebahn is an electric monorail in the German city Wuppertal that 'rides' a 13 kilometer suspended track in 30 minutes. Part of the tracks are above the small river Wupper, another part is above streets. The suspended railway also 'crosses' a large Bayer chemicals industrial site. Sometimes the 'Kaiserwagen' carriage from 1900 has special tours (see photo #10).

All photos taken 11 October 2008.

·
Resident Planner
3,792 Posts
It was built in 1901 so I doubt it was constructed as largely a tourist attraction.

I have one question..... why?

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,423 Posts
I love this system, and it is so old...
:eek::eek:
Is there an international airport in Wuppertal or near? I would like to go there and check this suspended railway.
:yes:
Thanks!
:wink2:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Nice photos!

Is there an international airport in Wuppertal or near? I would like to go there and check this suspended railway.
:yes:
Thanks!
You can fly to Duesseldorf airport (which also has a suspended monorail), Wuppertal is only a few S-Bahn stations from there. It's also easy to make a round-trip through the Rhine-Ruhr area public transport from there.

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,423 Posts
^^Danke schön!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
i saw it in some movie before thought it was weird but neat

I wonder if they were to build a new/modren version if they could make the structure less obtrusive - it looks kinda bad with som much structure everywhere for it to function

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
lol. This system is so goofy I love it! It's definitely recognizable, great pictures.

Am I the only one who likes that old industrial style?
YANA: you are not alone (ok, lame Doctow Who reference). No, I love the steel, one of the great things I love about the Chicago "L". Concrete seems colder and uglier to me.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts