Skyscraper City Forum banner
241 - 260 of 6093 Posts

·
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
June 24

For a taste of small-town Delaware, Frankford is a place to go. There are no traffic lights, and only 14 or 15 roads in the entire town. Frankford is a small center for local farmers, as evidenced by grain containers in the background.

Palm trees in Delaware? That's news to me.
There are a few beach towns in the area that have planted sub-tropical palm trees, which grow successfully. I've seen quite a few palm trees in Ocean City, MD. I think there are a couple in Fenwick Island here in Delaware. A few businesses have palm trees out front in Dewey Beach. Dewey Beach is the farthest north that I see palm trees growing, although a Subaru delaership in Newark used to have palm trees about 10 years ago.

·
It was aliens
4,808 Posts
There are a few beach towns in the area that have planted sub-tropical palm trees, which grow successfully. I've seen quite a few palm trees in Ocean City, MD. I think there are a couple in Fenwick Island here in Delaware. A few businesses have palm trees out front in Dewey Beach. Dewey Beach is the farthest north that I see palm trees growing, although a Subaru delaership in Newark used to have palm trees about 10 years ago.

Well, Delware has pretty mild winters doesn't it? I wonder if there are any palm trees in south jersey... that's kind of a weird thought.

·
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
June 25

The Nemours Building, now also known as the Residences at City Center, was built in 1936 as a second office building in the city of Wilmington for the DuPont company. The building is 164 ft tall (50 m), and is between Orange & Tatnall Streets and 10th & 11th Streets.

Thanks for all of the comments from yesterday, everyone.

·
Delaware Adoptee
218 Posts
Well, Delware has pretty mild winters doesn't it? I wonder if there are any palm trees in south jersey... that's kind of a weird thought.
Along tangetial lines, southern NJ was being described even 25 years ago as this very backwoodsy, Southern subculture and micro-environment. Regarding the ability of palm trees and banana trees to grow in unexpected locales, here in London one can find some quite nice banana tree specimens that do produce fruit in the summer, and there are loads of small palms or palmettos, as well as the unexpected yucca plants, flowering nicely in summer. I haven't seen any big palm trees here, but I'm sure they could grow, since the winters are typically milder in the home counties and south of England than in the Mid-Atlantic States. Point is, they've tried to introduce almost every plant in England, with some success, so with a little effort DE might have lots more palms, and bananas too!

·
I know, I know!
162 Posts
I love following this thread, but sometimes it makes me think I should have had my butt kicked for leaving Delaware to return to Indiana. Had I stayed, though, I might have turned into a slacker living on the beach - and happy about it!

·
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
June 28

There are a few places outside of the city of Wilmington that are just as urban as the city. One such place is Cleland Heights, an area near Wilmington along Route 4 (Maryland Avenue), just west of the Wilmington neighborhood of Browntown. In Cleland Heights, duplexes and rowhouses are prominent just like they are in the city.

I love following this thread, but sometimes it makes me think I should have had my butt kicked for leaving Delaware to return to Indiana. Had I stayed, though, I might have turned into a slacker living on the beach - and happy about it!
I can't tell you if Indiana was a good or bad decision, but I think you are right when you say you would've become a beach bum if you lived here.

·
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 · (Edited)
June 29

Wilmington's suburbs contain little pieces of nostalgia, like any other suburbs. The Charcoal Pit is a small restaurant chain based in northern new Castle County that serves classic American meals: hamburgers and ice cream sundaes. The biggest ice cream sundaes are named after high school football teams in Northern Delaware. Charcoal Pit locations tend to be meeting places for families or groups looking for some weektime memories. This particular Charcoal Pit, on Concord Pike in the Brandywine Hundred area north of Wilmington, is the original Charcoal Pit, built in 1952.

·
Delaware Adoptee
218 Posts
Great photo. The lillies in the front just look like common day lillies to me (the basic plain orange variety). Perhaps they somehow became naturalised in Northern DE? Or could they actually be native to that part of the world? I'll have to wait till we're actually living there to try to work it out. Only about 5 more weeks now until the move back across the pond!

·
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
July 2

The Fenwick Island Lighthouse was built in 1859 and is located in Fenwick Island. The lighthouse sits just 2 feet from the border with Maryland.

Great photo. The lillies in the front just look like common day lillies to me (the basic plain orange variety). Perhaps they somehow became naturalised in Northern DE? Or could they actually be native to that part of the world? I'll have to wait till we're actually living there to try to work it out. Only about 5 more weeks now until the move back across the pond!
I think they are just day lillies. Some seem to be domesticated, like the ones in the picture that appear to be planted along the fence. These lillies line several rural and back roads around here, though, and so I think they grow in the wild as well.

·
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
July 3

As the nation's birthday approaches, people get ready for the festivities. At the intersection of North Star and Little Baltimore Roads in the North Star area, Woodside Farm advertises that the Creamery will be open late for people leaving the fireworks show in nearby Hockessin to stop by for an All-American ice cream cone.

241 - 260 of 6093 Posts