SkyscraperCity banner

5481 - 5500 of 5544 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
17,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,481 (Edited)
April 3

Legislative Hall, on Legislative Avenue in Dover. The building serves as the state capitol of Delaware. It was built in 1932, and is the only Colonial Revival state house in the country. The tiered tower was based on the Old State House in Boston, Massachusetts; and the balcony over the entrance and round-topped dormers were based on the Old Colony House in Newport, Rhode Island. Both of those buildings served as colonial capitols for a time. The interior of Legislative Hall was done by the American Car & Foundry Company of Wilmington.

 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
17,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,482
April 4

Barratt's Chapel, on Delaware Route 1 in South Murderkill Hundred, near Frederica. The church was built in 1780. Barratt's Chapel wass where the Methodist Church in the United States was founded, by Thomas Coke and Francis Asbury. Doors flanking the center door were added in 1860, replacing windows. Due to the conservatism in Methodism, the church has seen only slight changes over the centuries, and ir remarkably preserved from its early days.

 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
17,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,483
April 5

The Corbit-Sharp House, on Main Street in Odessa. The house was built in 1774 by William Corbit, a tanner by trade. The house faced a defunct road that led to the Appoquinimink River, and long loomed over the sleepy town. H. Rodney Sharp bought the house in 1938, when it was threatened to be subdivided into apartments. Sharp restored the house to its original condition, and then donated the house in 1958 to the Winterthur Museum in Montchanin.

 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
17,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,484
April 6

The Fisher-Martin House, on King's Highway in Lewes. The original portion of the house, on the right, is believed to have been built in 1728, making it one of the oldest houses in Sussex County. The house originally stood at Cool Spring, about 6 miles southwest of Lewes.

 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
17,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,485
April 7

The Hale-Byrnes House, on Stanton-Christiana Road in Stanton. The house was built in 1750, with an addition on the left added in 1772. The house is most notable for being the place where General George Washington convened a council of war with the Marquis de Lafayette and others in September 1777, with the British marching from Elkton, Maryland, to Philadelphia.

 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
17,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,486
April 8

Wednesday night marks the beginning of Passover. Wilmington's most-prominent synagogue is Congregation Beth Shalom, at Baynard Boulevard & 18th Street. The congregation was founded in 1922, and the synagogue was built in 1953.

 
5481 - 5500 of 5544 Posts
Top