• 3 or less

Votes: 12 11.3%
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
T H E H A G U E
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Yangôn - Myanma Naingngandaw

Yangôn, formerly Rangoon, population 4,504,000 (2001), was the capital of Myanmar, Burma(untill the end of 2005). The city is located on the Yangôn River, near the Gulf of Martaban. Major exports include rice, teak, petroleum, cotton, and metal ores. There are rice mills, sawmills, oil refineries, and steel, iron, and copper mills.

The city was probably founded in the 6th century, but it was a small fishing village until King Alaungapaya made it his capital in 1753. It came under British rule in 1852. Rangoon was heavily damaged by an earthquake and tsunami in 1930, and again during World War II.

During World War II Japanese forces captured the city on March 8, 1942.

Rangoon University was founded in 1920 and reorganized in 1964, when it became the Arts and Science University.

Aung San Suu Kyi
The Hope of Myanmar...

http://www.dassk.org/

·
Vivat capitalismus
5,330 Posts
Lovely hotel!!!
i will rate 8.5/10,would be 9 for bigger pics :)

·
T H E H A G U E
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

...but she is arrested.......because she wants peace and a better Myanmar.....

·
T H E H A G U E
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks Wyfox for the information from Rangoon!

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Haaglanden said:
thanks Wyfox for the information from Rangoon!
but how do you edit my messages?
do you have hacked me?
or did you do that because you are one of the leading members!(just like jan Klerks)
I'm one of the Moderators for Rate Our Talls. :) It's my responsibility to edit/move/delete threads in this section. I thought it would be interesting to include some background information on Yangon.

·
Iron horse rider dlx
4,278 Posts
Interesting city, it looks grand with the colonial architecture and boulevards, and dotted with golden stupas. But it doesn't seem to have much of a skyline, and I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing here.

Will vote later, can't decide yet

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
http://www.myanmar.com/myanmartimes/MyanmarTimes12-233/025.htm

Experts call for new Yangon
By Maw Maw San

EXPERTS have told Myanmar Times that construction of a sister city should be considered in Yangon in an attempt to revamp Myanmar’s capital.

Delhi spawned New Delhi, and in Japan, developers in the old city of Kyoto left for pastures new and built one of the biggest cities on the planet – Tokyo. Now Yangon’s constructors, developers and architects think it is time to do the same in Myanmar’s capital.

Dr Khin Shwe, chairman of Myanmar Construction Entrepreneurs Association, is one of a growing number of developers who believe Yangon is in desperate need of a sister city.

“Not only our country, but also other countries have faced this problem. They have built new cities to cope with increasing populations because they did not want to damage old buildings and to maintain their cultural heritage,” he said, adding that he thought developing high-rise buildings downtown spoiled Yangon’s beauty.

“Yangon does not look like other cities – modern cities do not have anything special to maintain, but for us, we have so many things in Yangon to be proud of.

A spokesperson of a Myanmar government department said a sister city program has been considered.

“East Dagon will improve within a few years ahead of other satellite towns,” he said.

Both Dr Khin Shwe and the government official said that infrastructure in Yangon can accommodate only a few million people and that existing water and electricity supplies have yet to cope up with the increasing population of the capital.

In 2000, there were 4.6 million people in Yangon. This figure is expected to rise to 5.1 million by next year.

U San Oo, chairman of Design 2000 Company Limited, said: “We want to keep the culture and heritage of Yangon – demolishing old buildings to build new ones costs more than just building on previously unused land.

“Yangon used to be the most modern city in Southeast Asia and the sanitary system was even well-developed back in the 1940s. But we cannot update it. As the number of citizens increases, the old system cannot bear the strain anymore.”

The water supply system in the city was installed about sixty years ago and can provide water only up a four-storey building, he said.

“To supply water to high buildings, we need compressors, without them people on the sixth and seventh floor have difficulty getting water.

“We have to spend money on this and infrastructure can never be as good as new, so I think it would be beneficial to build a new Yangon city nearby. We could have the necessary infrastructure in such a new city,” U San Oo said.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
i like that it's preserved, but that's a crappy skyline.

-

·
T H E H A G U E
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yangon

build Yangon, Build!!!!
I hope that Yangon the 2nd Singapore is in 2020!

·
T H E H A G U E
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
One of the most beautiful monuments of the world!

YANGON,MYANMAR

Aung San Suu Kyi
The Hope of Myanmar...Fight for human rights...

1 - 20 of 141 Posts