Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts. My own impression will follow this post.

Nigeria: We'll Beat Asian Tigers, Says Yar'Adua

This Day (Lagos)

10 June 2007
Posted to the web 10 June 2007

President Umaru Yar'Adua has said that the economic growth that his administration envisaged to record within the next few years would be "phenomenal".

Addressing the Nigerian community in Berlin, Germany, as part of his engagements after the G8 summit, Yar'Adua said he believed what the country would witness in the economy would go even beyond what was witnessed during the emerging years of the Asian Tigers.

The president said, however, that achieving such growth would not be easy.

He said Nigerians at home and in the Diaspora who believe they have contributions to make would be given the opportunity to do so.

"We just have to choose to build a great nation. In Nigeria, what we are and what we become in future is what we choose to become today," Yar'Adua said.

The president added that Nigerians must choose to adopt the right attitude that promotes growth and not one that promotes destruction.

"I am going to provide the leadership to do this," he said, adding that under his administration the era of the ruling elite in Nigeria is over and the era of a servant leadership had begun.

He said the last eight years under former President Olusegun Obasanjo had laid the foundation that would lead the country to join the industrialised nations by the year 2020.
Relevant Links
West Africa
Nigeria
Economy, Business and Finance

He said his administration was determined to build on the achievements recorded during the period.

The president reiterated his determination to end the lingering crisis in the Niger Delta within the next one and a half years and to also improve security generally in the country.

While assuring that he would lead by example and compel those working with him to also do so, the president said his administration would build on the emerging attitude of good governance and zero tolerance for corruption.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I strongly believe it is possible. From the little that has leaked from Yar'Adua's economic strategy, this government is covering all the issues I have raised:

(1) Nigeria needs a transformation, not just a "reform"

(2) Electric power and energy is fundamental to industrialization. And Yar'Adua intends on declaring a state of emergency on electric power so that the electric power industry will grow the same way GSM service recorded phenomenal growths in Nigeria

(3) Capital for businesses:
(a) A Land Ammendment act which puts lands in the hand of private individuals (even those previously owned by government) and allows private individuals to loan money with land as collateral
(b) Zero interest Micro-financing for businesses.

(4) A state of emergency on Education to aggressively improve the Human Capital.

The above is the little that has leaked to far, but I am very impressed and I believe this CAN grow our economy at phenomenal rates.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Nigeria: In With the New - Country's 'Science' President

SciDev.Net (London)

29 May 2007
Posted to the web 31 May 2007

Semiu Babalola

Nigerian scientists are hoping that the new president's science background will prioritise science for development. Semiu Babalola reports.

On 23 April 2007, Umar Musa Yar'Adua was announced as the winner of Nigeria's presidential elections. Today (29 May), he will become the third executive president in Nigeria's 47-year history.
Africa 2007

The 56-year-old former chemistry lecturer is the first graduate to become Nigeria's president. These credentials lead many in the scientific community to hope his appointment will herald a new golden era of Nigerian science, building on the foundations laid by his predecessor, Olusegun Obasanjo.

Scientists agree that in Obasanjo's eight-year term, remarkable steps have been made in Nigerian science.

"Obasanjo made significant contributions towards achieving the country's technological growth," says Waris Alli of the Lagos-based Nigerian Institute of International Affairs (NIIA).

Alli -- like other scientists -- expects Yar'Adua to consolidate and surpass Obasanjo's initiatives.

From lecturer to leader

Born in 1951 in the northern city of Katsina, Yar'Adua's interest in the sciences began as a boy.

He studied a joint bachelor's degree in education and chemistry and a master's degree in analytical chemistry at Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, between 1972 and 1980.

While studying for his master's, Yar'Adua began a career as a science teacher. He lectured at the Katsina College of Arts, Science and Technology and Katsina Polytechnic, for seven years until 1983, when he left to work in the private sector.

It was also during this time that Yar'Adua became actively involved in governance, serving as a member of the governing council for the Katsina College of Arts, Science and Technology and Katsina Polytechnic.

In the late 1970s, Yar'Adua joined the leftist People's Redemption Party and entered into politics. By 1999 he was elected governor of Katsina State and was re-elected for another four years in 2003.

In this role he led recruitment drives for teachers for secondary schools, upgraded laboratory facilities and awarded scholarships to medical students. He also established the first university in Katsina State.

Kehinde Osinfade, head of the clinical services at the Federal Medical Centre in Abeokuta, south west Nigeria, says that during Yar'Adua's tenure as governor his achievements â-- increased student enrolments, health care delivery, roads, water supply and agriculture â-- made Katsina a model state. It is hoped that Yar'Adua will bring this success to a national scale.

In the new government, Yar'Adua will be supported by a man with a past similar to his.

Incoming vice-president Jonathan Goodluck is, like Yar'Adua, a science graduate and a former governor (of Nigeria's Bayelsa State). He holds a master's degree in hydro and fisheries biology and a doctorate in zoology. Goodluck was also a science lecturer, in the biology department of the Rivers State College of Education in Port Harcourt for ten years, before which he served as the Rivers State science inspector of education.

With such strong scientific backgrounds, many in Nigeria's science community believe Yar'Adua's government will have a significant impact on the development of Nigerian science, technology, engineering and innovation.

Scientists' wishlist

There remains a firm belief that excellence in science can help the nation address problems in public health, energy and food security.

President of the Nigerian Academy of Science (NAS), David Okali, believes that science and technology should be at the centre of Nigeria's development and hopes that Yar'Adua will continue to support the field as his predecessor did.

"We must develop our indigenous science capacity. It is not enough depending on people from outside, capacity must be grown internally," Okali told SciDev.Net.

Okali has called for the setup of a science advisory council to provide evidence-based advice to the incoming government. He also highlighted the importance of strengthening science institutions like NAS.

He told SciDev.Net that he hopes the Yar'Adua administration will support the Academy and appreciate its place in technological development.

·
Banned
503 Posts
First graduate to become president wow........so nigeria been run by illitrate people as president. Hope his vision will help Nigeria turn the page and become a 1st class country.....its gonna be a while.

·
I'm The King
6,724 Posts
First graduate to become president wow........so nigeria been run by illitrate people as president. Hope his vision will help Nigeria turn the page and become a 1st class country.....its gonna be a while.
Illiterate and Violent People as President

·
Banned
503 Posts
There should be a prerequisite to become president....that means having a college education......they got ignorant people as president...of course the country will be run down.

·
Registered
40,884 Posts
I strongly believe it is possible. From the little that has leaked from Yar'Adua's economic strategy, this government is covering all the issues I have raised:

(1) Nigeria needs a transformation, not just a "reform"

(2) Electric power and energy is fundamental to industrialization. And Yar'Adua intends on declaring a state of emergency on electric power so that the electric power industry will grow the same way GSM service recorded phenomenal growths in Nigeria

(3) Capital for businesses:
(a) A Land Ammendment act which puts lands in the hand of private individuals (even those previously owned by government) and allows private individuals to loan money with land as collateral
(b) Zero interest Micro-financing for businesses.

(4) A state of emergency on Education to aggressively improve the Human Capital.

The above is the little that has leaked to far, but I am very impressed and I believe this CAN grow our economy at phenomenal rates.
Very well said!:cheers:

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
" A wise man is a man with a serious and promising look "

That's the best way to describe Yar'adua. I've seen the life broadcast of his becoming the President and from just the way he looks I believe 100% that this guy will make magic for Nigeria.

As what discussed in another thread, it's the leadership style which shapes Africa and its economy-- none other than that-- in my opinion. Africa is full of progressive and forward-thinking people.

And of course Nigeria can beat those Asian Tigers , everything is way too obvious-- English-speaking and multi-lingual populations ( whereas the majority of East and Southeast Asians are only monolingual ) , strong, progressive and global-looking workforce , very favourable multi-ethnic society, plus great climate--- Nigeria is up there . :)

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I agree with you,Skyprince.You have foresight and appreciate people like you.How are you?

However,Nigeria should focus also on self-substainance not just through diversifying of the economy but reaching out to those in the rural area cos there's going to be a great rural-urban drift.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
NANS Tasks Yar’Adua On Space Technology

June 11th, 2007

By Christopher Adedeji

Correspondent, Abuja

President Umar Musa Yar’Adua has been charged to sustain the tempo of development in the administration of the space science and technology as set by the former President Olusegun Obasanjo’ government.

As a way of making a success of the National Space Policy initiated by the Obasanjo’s administration, the National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA) led by Robert Ajayi Boroffice came up with a Road Map for Nigerian Space Mission in 2005.

The road map was aimed at ensuring that Nigeria attains continental leadership in science and technology through the development of competence and capacity in selected areas of science and technology.

During a visit to NARSDA over the weekend, the National Executive Council of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) urged the government of President Yar’Adua to work out modalities for sustaining the gains so far attained by the country in space technology.

National President of NANS, Yinka Dada, who led the students on the visit expressed happiness with the new administration and urged it to pay attention to space science and technology as a way of giving it a pride of place.

Head of Media and Corporate Affairs of NASRDAA, Felix Ale, in a statement in Abuja said, "the students were received by the Agency’s Director General, Prof Robert Boroffice, whom the students praised for placing Nigerian on a strategic position of development through the application of space science and technology".

NANS expressed its delights with the enviable achievements of the agency within its short period of establishment.

The students’ association said such achievements were unprecedented in the history of science and technology in the African continent.

It described the launch of the Nigerian communication satellite as successful and a monumental achievement in Nigeria and the entire Africa .

Boroffice, in his response described NANS’ comments as challenging even as he noted that the training of some young Nigerian engineers recently abroad on the operations of NigeriaSat 1 and the NigComSat-1 were testimonies of the fact that if exposed to the right opportunities, Nigerian students were capable of excelling in several areas of endeavour.

NASRDA helmsman posited that space is a platform where most problems confronting the people on land or in the surface can easily be remedied.

He added that "apart from buying satellites, Nigeria was also anxious to be part of the technology. Hence the aggressive capacity building of the agency in all its programmes.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
what is asian tigers?

group 1:S.korea,taiwan,hongkong and singapore

group 2:Tailand,Malysia,Indonesia .....etc

I don't think any afircan country has chance to catch up with group 1 in forseeable future.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Okay to make that statement you have to know where the Asian Tigers came from.

In the 1970s, Nigeria's economy was far better than that of Malaysia, and if it took Malaysia 20 years to leave Nigeria in the dust, then Nigeria a country with far more resources can achieve such a feat, provided there is instability.

Angola could also realize such a feat. Angola has leaders that envision as well as Resources and Stability, in 10 years Angola will be a redefined place for sure.

Note that Indonesia has 40% of it's population living under two dollars a day, and Nigeria and Indonesia are roughly similar economically. A more industrialized Nigeria that has alleviated poverty, wouldn't be indifferent to what Indonesia is today. The same goes for Thailand.:)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Okay to make that statement you have to know where the Asian Tigers came from.

In the 1970s, Nigeria's economy was far better than that of Malaysia, and if it took Malaysia 20 years to leave Nigeria in the dust, then Nigeria a country with far more resources can achieve such a feat, provided there is instability.

Angola could also realize such a feat. Angola has leaders that envision as well as Resources and Stability, in 10 years Angola will be a redefined place for sure.

Note that Indonesia has 40% of it's population living under two dollars a day, and Nigeria and Indonesia are roughly similar economically. A more industrialized Nigeria that has alleviated poverty, wouldn't be indifferent to what Indonesia is today. The same goes for Thailand.:)
I dont think you can compare Nigeria with indonesia in the industrial sector.
In indonesia,they are even producing planes (cn-235),the compagny which do that employs 6000
people.

But i hope nigeria will do better.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I dont think you can compare Nigeria with indonesia in the industrial sector.
In indonesia,they are even producing planes (cn-235),the compagny which do that employs 6000
people.

But i hope nigeria will do better.
but we ve got these: Aeronautical Industrial Engineering and Project Management Company Ltd - Nigeria

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
I agree with you,Skyprince.You have foresight and appreciate people like you.How are you?

However,Nigeria should focus also on self-substainance not just through diversifying of the economy but reaching out to those in the rural area cos there's going to be a great rural-urban drift.
From his blueprint it's very clear that he's stressing a lot on Infrastructure .

A country can never be developed if their first emphasis is other than infrastructure. A good infrastructure breeds good talent, because education is only possible under conducive environment.

Setting up target is also important. Why not making the target like reaching per-capita GDP of $ 5000 in the next 10 years and $ 10,000 in the following decade, at least everyone gets the clear picture and have more motivation in national build-up :)

Nigeria can do better given its resources -- not just natural resources but its dynamic human resources :banana:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts