SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to create this thread to discuss all things Ybor; it's past, it's present and its future. Everytime I'm go to Ybor I'm fascinated by its rich history and not only that but I'm also overwhelmed with the potential it possesses. Ybor is long past it's hey days but there's so many blank pages yet to be written. It's future is bright and I believe it is poised to be on a brink of major boom if things work out the way the way they are suppose to. With that being said there is much that could be discussed.

Topics could be about anything, its history such as major events, historic architecture, it's highs and it's lows etc. Conversation could also involve discussing ideas, goals and plans on how to make it a better place. What we like and dislike about it. Places you like to go to when in Ybor. Really just whatever floats your boat and falls outside of specific developments being discussed in the development thread. This is also a place where you could post pictures of its buildings, or other things that catch your eye and otherwise wouldn't want to bother cluttering up the Tampa photos thread with.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I occasionally here people say Ybor's houses are rundown and well that may be somewhat true I present to you some good examples of some well maintained homes that also have beautiful landscaping. Paired together they create a picturesque setting. It's totally possible that one day we could see all the homes in the neighborhood resemble these homes, imagine how stunning the combined result would be. What's also fascinating is that even though these homes have such little to no land to work with, they still find a way to frame their homes with some great landscaping.

I wonder if there is some sort incentive to help match funding to beautiful houses within the Ybor district. Maybe a small portion of the CRA money could be made available for projects like landscaping for eligible candidates.

Screenshot_2015-07-07-14-33-48 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

Screenshot_2015-07-07-13-43-41 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

Screenshot_2015-07-06-21-47-53 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

This house looks like its floating on a garden

Screenshot_2015-07-06-21-48-40 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

Screenshot_2015-07-06-21-49-37 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

Screenshot_2015-07-06-21-56-34 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

Screenshot_2015-07-06-22-07-17 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

Screenshot_2015-07-06-22-07-17 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

Screenshot_2015-07-06-22-04-41 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

Screenshot_2015-07-07-15-04-53 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

Screenshot_2015-07-06-22-29-08 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

NICE TREE

Screenshot_2015-07-06-22-35-57 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

No Grass isn't stopping these people from decorating these homes on the block

Screenshot_2015-07-06-21-37-03 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

Screenshot_2015-07-06-21-51-24 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

Love how these homes go one step forward and decorate the outermost part of the sidewalk closest to the road, very nice..

Screenshot_2015-07-06-21-38-21 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

Screenshot_2015-07-07-15-31-49 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

Screenshot_2015-07-07-15-32-12 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

WHOA

Screenshot_2015-07-07-14-09-06 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

LOVE THIS PLACE. They're bordering the sidewalk with landscaping. This creates a barrier and provides pedestrians with a sense of separation from the traffic

Screenshot_2015-07-07-14-13-42 by andrewspics2012, on Flickr

·
Registered
728 Posts
I wonder if there is some sort incentive to help match funding to beautiful houses within the Ybor district. Maybe a small portion of the CRA money could be made available for projects like landscaping for eligible candidates.
Yeah, there needs to be a fund for landscaping. It doesn't have to be large; just something that can match $100 or $200.

Ybor also needs some more park space.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Improving landscaping increases property values and can encourage similar behavior from neighboring property owners, which means more revenue for the city and more potential investment.

And it looks nice.

·
Palma Ceia
754 Posts
^^ the fact that you don't get my post is the reason the US has 18trillion in debt. Gov't should pay for lazy ass peeps landscaping. :nuts:

The houses posted below show pride. PRIDE.

·
Registered
728 Posts
So your solution to improving the neighborhood is to call everyone that neglects or minimally maintains their yards lazy ass peeps. Surely that will motivate them!

What good is pride by itself? You invest tens of thousands of dollars in your house and property while your neighbors have derelict homes, abandoned cars strewn about the yard, and all that good stuff. Guess what? You've just flushed a bunch of money down the toilet. So next time the economy tanks, your property value plummets, and you're underwater on your house, well, at least you have pride. Maybe some bank accepts denominations of pride as mortgage payments?

The point of the exercise is to enhance the neighborhood, and providing a matching fund grant program has the ability to do just that. A small annual outlay from the CRA as densitymatters suggested can bring a rapid return on investment and accelerate the area's rebirth.

·
Palma Ceia
754 Posts
Well, ok, wow, you need to understand free....If someone keeps up their lawn or not.. it is none of your f'in business. Cars on blocks etc is against any code. So that point is, well gone...

SIMPLE> ASSHOLES exist and won't clean their lawn. Sometimes the complainers need to look in a mirror.

A fund to landscape... oh my

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ the fact that you don't get my post is the reason the US has 18trillion in debt.

Koop made a solid point and you follow up with this?

I don't know if your aware but there are matching grants for privately owned businesses in the downtown/Ybor area to help improve their facades. There is a slight difference with but still the same idea.

And the CRA fund is a portion of taxes that come from that community that must be spent back into the community so what's the problem. Koop already explained why the grant/fund would be a valuable investment. Also I don't know if you caught it but I said matching funds so the owner would have to come to the table with some money and be willing to invest themselves.

Most if not all of these house are built right up to the side walk so it's improvments would be improving the public right of way too.

You should be more mad and bothered by all the palm trees that we pay for to go up along side the interstate in the middle of nowhere and the millions we give to cooperate welfare like bass pro shops.

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,122 Posts
Well, ok, wow, you need to understand free....If someone keeps up their lawn or not.. it is none of your f'in business. Cars on blocks etc is against any code. So that point is, well gone...

SIMPLE> ASSHOLES exist and won't clean their lawn. Sometimes the complainers need to look in a mirror.

A fund to landscape... oh my
My community already does what he's talking about. It's called a homeowner's association.

What the Ybor neighborhood association dedicating some funds to neighborhood landscaping has to do with the federal debt is not getting through to readers.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
IF anything, there should be some assistance to renovate these properties, not necessarily landscaping but instead the roofs and structure elements that could be costly.

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,122 Posts
^Right, structural integrity.

Either St Pete or Pinellas does that or used to do that for seniors. I knew an old couple who lived in the Tyrone area, who have since passed, who had a real bad roof, the city came to like cite them for it because they put a tarp up, and then from that they got signed up for some program, and it was fixed not too long after that, and they either didn't pay anything, or only paid a fraction of the price. This was like 2005 or so. I don't remember details, I just know the city came like they were in trouble, but instead they got a new roof and they didn't have to come up with thousands to do it.

·
Palma Ceia
754 Posts
And where did you come up with assholes and complainers?

Ok, everything can be broken down so it is simple. ASSHOLES are the people who do NOT take pride/keep up their property, some can't we get that, that is why there are many giving church/charities. Complainers are the people who do NOT let anything go..ie: trash can left on street, too many cars in drive way. You know, the ones bitching about the length of your grass.. Actually they are assholes too. If you own your property and you do NOT adversely harm your neighbor..

PROPERTY RIGHTS. I didn't know dead or crappy grass was illegal in Ybor.

Really? Lets Raise taxes to fix something and we end up with 18 trillion.. it has never worked.

·
Palma Ceia
754 Posts
My community already does what he's talking about. It's called a homeowner's association.

What the Ybor neighborhood association dedicating some funds to neighborhood landscaping has to do with the federal debt is not getting through to readers.
Really, many years on here and you think I am against the YNA giving help to people to improve their property? absolutely not. TAX is the problem. New gob't dept is the problem.

I was in your situation when I was in New Tampa (I sold)...You signed a contract TO UPHOLD THE LAWN, PAINT, ETC. when you bought your house. You know there is no correlation to these properties. They can NOT add rights or restrictions to property. Nothing to do with Ybor NA...

My comment was because of the Fund/TAX and match homeowner funds for homeowners who don't give a hoot anyhow. If you care you will do something. There are plenty of poor that need help and plenty that will help them.

Volunteer KOOP and Density!!! Do the work. Make TAMPA BETTER.:banana:

ok, so amirite?

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,122 Posts
Actually, that's not the kind of place I live in.

Volunteering though, yes absolutely.

You do realize though, a neighborhood can indeed tax itself and put the money into beautification for lack of a better word. And it still has absolutely nothing to do with debt of any kind, especially federal debt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts