SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
53,091 Posts
Where is this bridge exactly? Because Yeosu is noted in that wiki article, which seems to be another place mentioned in that KBS article (Geoju - Masan, just west of Busan).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have also seen an article in Bridge Design and Engineering which states it is in Yeosu and that Daelim are building the bridge. For such a large bridge I'm amazed there is so little coverage.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Well I have also seen an article in Bridge Design and Engineering which states it is in Yeosu and that Daelim are building the bridge. For such a large bridge I'm amazed there is so little coverage.
http://news.naver.com/main/vod/vod.nhn?oid=215&aid=0000017621
http://news.naver.com/main/vod/vod.nhn?oid=214&aid=0000156338

These are korean news clips about the completion of Yi Sun-Sin Bridge's main tower.

Where is this bridge exactly? Because Yeosu is noted in that wiki article, which seems to be another place mentioned in that KBS article (Geoju - Masan, just west of Busan).
Both local governments, Yeosu-Gwangyang and Geoje-Masan named the bridges Yi Sun-Sin, causing some disputes over it. I tried to search related news about how it's settled but there is no official source, expect that the bridge between Yeosu and Gwangyang might be named Yi Sun-Sin because it will be completed earlier.

·
Registered
760 Posts

This clip is about bridges being built on south coast of korea. There's short video about Yi Sun-Sin Bridge in the middle of news.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ruready1000! I struggled to find much info at all, there is very little official info which suprises me. It's tabled to be finished for the Expo, which starts in April 2012. With the towers only having just been completed (I believe this is the case anyway) is this a realistic target?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Thanks ruready1000! I struggled to find much info at all, there is very little official info which suprises me. It's tabled to be finished for the Expo, which starts in April 2012. With the towers only having just been completed (I believe this is the case anyway) is this a realistic target?
The construction is scheduled to be completed one or two month before the Yeosu Expo. I think it might be possible as central and local governments are planning to show the bridge as one of the landmarks of Yeosu Expo.

·
Banned
4,823 Posts
source
http://eng.daelim.co.kr/daelim/pr/NewsView.do?idx=7724

The construction of the Yi Sun-Sin Grand Bridge connecting Myodo-dong of Yeosu-si and Geumho-dong of Gwanyang-si, Jollanam-do, is 63 percent completed on April 28, the birthday of Yi Sun-Shin. This bridge, scheduled to be completed in December 2012 by Daelim’s unique technologies, is now under the installation of cables connecting main towers which is the core process of a suspension bridge. Upon the completion of the Yi Sun-Sin Grand Bridge, Korea will emerge as the world 6th country boasting self-sufficient technologies for the suspension bridge.

The four-lane Yi Sun-Sin Grand Bridge has a total length of 2.26 km including two 357.5 m-long end segments of main towers. In particular, the length of main span between two main towers reaches 1.545 km, which is Korea’s largest and world’s fourth largest suspension bridge after Japan’s Akashi Kaikyo Bridge with a length of 1.99 km, China’s Shawman Bridge with a length of 1.65 km and Denmark’s Great Belt Bridge with a length of 1.62 km. The main span length of 1.545 km means the year 1545 when the general Yi Sun-Sin had been born. Yeosu-si is a meaningful place where the headquarters of left naval forces of Jolla-do the general had started for his new post had been located. The coast of Gwangyang also has a historical meaning as the last battle field of the general named as Noryang Naval Battle.

·
53,091 Posts
Is this one of two bridges? Because Myodo-dong is a small island with only a small fishing village. I suppose they don't build a bridge like this for a fishing village. On the other hand, there seems to be some kind of reclaiming project on the east side of this island. Maybe they'll develop another port area, I know the Gwangyang port is suppose to relieve the port of Busan which accessibility is relatively bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts