SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah, the power of Chicago's mighty skyline! Only the headline & photo of Chicago are legible in this image, but that is all you need to get the snafu:

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
stuff like this happens all the time, unfortuantely. i've seen a close-up image of seattle's skuyline used for NYC before as well. the problem is that most people aren't obsessed with this shit like we are, so they figure that any old image of a big city skyline is suitable enough to use as an image for NYC (or any other big city).

the specific problem with this case is that chicago and new york haver very different styles of skylines, when picturesd in their entirety (due in large part to their very different pinnacle skyscrapers, sears and ESB). maybe most folks in england wouldn't catch this mistake, but i have a feeling that most americans know that the sears tower (clearly seen in the picture used) ain't located in NYC.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My initial reaction is to think this person is an idiot. But then when I think about it, I realize he is probably from a different country and the skyline most like NYC's is probably Chicago.

This type of thing happens a lot in movies too. Take for example The In-Laws with Michael Douglas (2003). Towards the end, he was supposed to be inside the Hancock Building eating in the Signature Room. Instead, you can see the Hancock through the window out in the distance. It looks like they were actually in the Sears Tower, but it does seem like there were some authentic shots inside the Hancock mixed in with the scene.

It seems like there is a lot of misinformation out there when it comes to architecture and buildings. Maybe I just know or care more than most people, but I catch a lot of mistakes. It makes me wonder how many other errors there are but I just don't realize it, because I am not very knowledgeable in that subject category.

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
It's funny. I have this great pictorial book in the Urban Tapestry series (great series, btw) called New York: A State of Mind. I noticed about halfway in that there was a picture of a street scene but the taxis weren't yellow. Why not? Because they somehow slipped a shot of Michigan Avenue in it! I wonder if anyone else ever noticed.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Chi649 said:
This type of thing happens a lot in movies too. Take for example The In-Laws with Michael Douglas (2003).
Or like in the car-drop scene of the Blues Brothers, were several Milwaukee skyscrapersare clearly visible in the background.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
This is almost as funny as the scene in Spiderman II when Spidey and Doc OCk start off in NYC and end up on Chicago's elevated. The movie makers have an excuse, They are telling a fictional story. The Independent should be fact checking. In fact this blooper is pretty consistent with the Independent's overall attitude toward truth and fact checking. Generally if the facts fail to fit the Independent's left wing agenda, facts seem to be expendable. Then again maybe the editors just knew Chicago has a better skyline than New York and printed it to make a better looking story.

·
Registered
717 Posts
svs said:
Generally if the facts fail to fit the Independent's left wing agenda, facts seem to be expendable.
A solid observation applicable to all forms of public media regardless of their ideological bent. Speech confined to the "cave" of scientific nihilism knows no facts only interpretation.

·
Banned
757 Posts
Frumie said:
A solid observation applicable to all forms of public media regardless of their ideological bent. Speech confined to the "cave" of scientific nihilism knows no facts only interpretation.
Umm...Frumie...just what the hell is scientific nihilism......the term itself smacks of intellectual hogwash.

It is internally inconsistent, and a logical impossibilty......science by its very nature posits a knowable, and understandable reality......scio in latin means " to know"

meanwhile, nihilism posits the exact opposite....there is no underlying knowable substratum.......

perhaps you can educate me, but scientific nihilism seems like a totally off the cuff, overwrought, heavy handed, intellectual for the sake of being so, type of comment

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
forumly_chgoman said:
Umm...Frumie...just what the hell is scientific nihilism......the term itself smacks of intellectual hogwash.

It is internally inconsistent, and a logical impossibilty......science by its very nature posits a knowable, and understandable reality......scio in latin means " to know"

meanwhile, nihilism posits the exact opposite....there is no underlying knowable substratum.......

perhaps you can educate me, but scientific nihilism seems like a totally off the cuff, overwrought, heavy handed, intellectual for the sake of being so, type of comment
Not so fast there, Forumly. Frumie is referring to the conumdrum of Plato's Cave, from The Republic , and while I can't really expound well on philosophy, I do know that there is such a thing as Scientific Nihilism, eg Nietzsche, and that Plato's Cave is a good baseline for discussions of it. Google "plato cave science nihilism" to get a bit of an overview.

·
Registered
181 Posts
but i have a feeling that most americans know that the sears tower (clearly seen in the picture used) ain't located in NYC.
not so fast. I was driving into chicago with my girlfriend on I-290. We come over a rise and get our first look at the skyline (best in the world, btw). I say 'look, it's the sears tower' and point at it. My gf quickly pulls out her camera and snaps about five pictures of some random suburban office park mid-rise that had also just come into view :bash: She had no fucking clue whatl I was talking about when I said Sears Tower :lol:

·
Registered
717 Posts
forumly_chgoman said:

That's it exactly, the positing a "knowable reality," works only when reality is empty or nothing. In a posited world speech devolves into either silence of endless chatter, which is just another form of silence. But enough said, back to skyscraper chatter. :)

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
nath05 said:
not so fast. I was driving into chicago with my girlfriend on I-290. We come over a rise and get our first look at the skyline (best in the world, btw). I say 'look, it's the sears tower' and point at it. My gf quickly pulls out her camera and snaps about five pictures of some random suburban office park mid-rise that had also just come into view :bash: She had no fucking clue whatl I was talking about when I said Sears Tower :lol:
Is one of them... this?

What city is your girl friend from, St. Paul also?

·
2,000+
82 Posts
svs said:
In fact this blooper is pretty consistent with the Independent's overall attitude toward truth and fact checking. Generally if the facts fail to fit the Independent's left wing agenda, facts seem to be expendable.
Care to give an example? Your statement is pretty worthless without some solid examples.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts