Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yiwu, a county level city in east China (population 700thousand) has (stats from the auto liscensing department of Yiwu):

Maybach) 2
Ferrari) 56
Maserati) 18
Aston Martin) 2
Spyker) 2
Lamborghini) 5
Lotus) 18
BMW) 3814
Benz) 2302
Audi) 6518
Lexus) 7132
Porsche)363
Hummer) 136
Rolls Royce) 18
Bentley) 52
Cadillac) 284

the most expensive car in this county is about 2 million US$

ps: many people from Yiwu liscense their cars in surrounding big cities such as Hangzhou, thus many were not being counted in this list

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
^^

So? Anything to be proud of?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
unless you personally drive one of those cars then it is something YOU can be proud of..(provided you earn the money legally), but I dont think this is something the whole nation can take pride in.
I rather wait for the day when GDP Per Capita reaches US 10,000.

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
unless you personally drive one of those cars then it is something YOU can be proud of..(provided you earn the money legally), but I dont think this is something the whole nation can take pride in.
I rather wait for the day when GDP Per Capita reaches US 10,000.

Even if you drive one, it would still look silly to brag about it.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
it would be interesting to see the overall number of cars there, and hoch much % of the population can afford a car ( even if its just a cheap used one)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it would be interesting to see the overall number of cars there, and hoch much % of the population can afford a car ( even if its just a cheap used one)
total luxury cars/total pop = abt 2%
if ur talkin abt % of families who can afford a car, then i would say for most families (& so is china overall) cuz the cheapest compact cars in china is prob less than 20,000 RMB

many chinese families don buy cars bc chinese cities are crowded, & smaller (by % pop/land, eg. a 4 million pop city's build-up area would prob b as big as a 1 m north american city)
ps: shoppin in china is much more convinient bc chinese don liv the american style life, thus for most of the time, no car's needed

btw, if chinese liv lik the americans & buy as many cars (by %), all of the steel on this planet would not be enough

·
Registered
696 Posts
What a shame.
When the majority are still relying on bycicles, how on earth could someone feel pround or anything when they are driving in these posh cars?

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
total luxury cars/total pop = abt 2%
if ur talkin abt % of families who can afford a car, then i would say for most families (& so is china overall) cuz the cheapest compact cars in china is prob less than 20,000 RMB

many chinese families don buy cars bc chinese cities are crowded, & smaller (by % pop/land, eg. a 4 million pop city's build-up area would prob b as big as a 1 m north american city)
ps: shoppin in china is much more convinient bc chinese don liv the american style life, thus for most of the time, no car's needed

btw, if chinese liv lik the americans & buy as many cars (by %), all of the steel on this planet would not be enough

I read somehwere, that an indian car maker wants to produce new cars for 2000$. With the GPD/capita of China, that would mean that indeed most of the population should be able to afford such a car. Especially when its used.

Are cars like that also built in China--especially for the domestic market?

The 2000 $ from india is a 4 door sedan, as far as I know....
(btw: The whole car is cheaper than the navigation system in a maybach :nuts: )

·
Airborne Sniper
291 Posts
Chinese are not going to buy that 2000$ cars, not those Chinese that I know about.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts

I like this one...are you sure chinese roads are ready for cars like that?

And if the are good enough, are the not congested with traffic?

Well, never mind, if the guy who owns it is lucky with it....

@ JiJi what is the car, that the "long term average" chinese dreams to be able to afford?

something around $5000 ? What do new cars around that look like?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
the ideal family car is along the lines of Peugeot 307, Skoda Octavia, VW Bora/Jetta/Golf, Ford Focus cars like these...independent business owners or slightly richer people might go for Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, VW Passat, Buick Regal, or cars like these..anything above that is considered luxury (Audi A4/A6, BMW, Toyota Crown, Lexus etc etc)
entry level cars are things like VW Polo, Nissan Tiida, etc etc, absolute entry level is Chery QQ and its imitators/competitors.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
$5000 will buy you a Chery QQ, probably reasonably equipped (CVT+Air con+2 airbags?)
sorry I can't be sure, and too lazy to check up the details.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
keep in mind buying a car is a huge investment, it's not only the car, plate, tax, gas, maintenance etc all cost money, chinese either dont buy something or would like to buy something nice. so if they want to buy a car they would rather save up and buy the car they want, Chery QQ is really popular among young people though, it does have some of the appeal and reputation as a "cute" and somewhat "trendy" car, that's why it can still sell despite being a entry level model. but most often than not Chinese prefer bigger cars.

·
Airborne Sniper
291 Posts
@ JiJi what is the car, that the "long term average" chinese dreams to be able to afford?

something around $5000 ? What do new cars around that look like?
I would say an ideal family vehicle for a young couple without child
Renault Megane, Volkswagen Golf, Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Chery A5, Peugeot 307

Cars for middle aged people
Volkswagen Passat, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Renault Lagune, Peugeot 407.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts