·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yonge Eglinton Centre | U/C | 5 and 7 Storey Extensions | Yonge and Eglinton

The project as I see it:

20 Eglinton West - 5 storey bump to 27 floors
2300 Yonge - 7 storey bump to 37 floors
Enclosing the smokers area space aka "the square" with a 3 storey enclosure.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
The model looks good.

The square is a failure in it's current state.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The model looks good.

The square is a failure in it's current state.
That's because there is no square there. It's just an empty corner. If they had wanted to make it an attractive place to be, they would have but I guess they wanted to keep it empty, so they could expand there. A restaurant or cafe with an outdoor patio, would have been nice there.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Developer: Riocan
Architect: Page + Steele/IBI

http://www.riocanyec.com/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STAFF REPORT – Rezoning Application – Final Report – February 16, 2010

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-27582.pdf

The application proposes to amend the Zoning By-law to permit the construction of the following:

1. A three storey at-grade addition, comprising 4,020m2 of new retail space above the existing
below grade shopping concourse. This addition would extend a new base building out from the
existing building towards Eglinton Avenue West into the existing open space on the southeast corner
of the site; and

2. Five and seven storey additions to the top of the two existing office towers 20 Eglinton Ave W
and 2300 Yonge Street. The additional floors represent an increase of 19,449m2 of office space on
the site and would be part of a construction program that would include the recladding of both office
towers and an update to the infrastructure of the buildings.

The additional floors of office space proposed above the existing office towers would add
26m to the height of the 20 Eglinton Avenue West tower and 33m to the height of the
2300 Yonge Street tower.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Automation Gallery on UT.

Posted on Feb 5, 2010 by gregv on UT.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hope its black instead of green, looks good, at least vs what it looks like now haha. I wonder if there are going to be more facade updates.

·
Moderatee
1,096 Posts
nice height increase (to 148.5m) but i would have preferred they added enuf floors to beat out even the 160m Quantum N.Tower (of the Minto Midtown complex) nearby.

btw, Pickle Barrel at the bottom s.e corner rules! hope they don't screw up the great views overlooking the intersection.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
I hope that the model has been built with the wrong colour plastic. That green looks awful with the blue. It looks like something designed in the 90's with those colours.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
aw jeez, really? they didn't keep the plaza? the civic thing to have done would have been to keep and upgrade it. idiots.

·
Moderatee
1,096 Posts
unlike downtown, this is one part of town where a new stealthy glass tower or two could help spice up the mix. Problem is they're supplanting the two ol'school stone-clad cynosures instead of complementing them.

·
38,910 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I always thought retrofitting concrete monstrosities like these old buildings was prohibitively expensive. I guess not - maybe the owners of the Bay-Queen centre and similarly atrocious concrete bunkers should take notice - especially if this turns out to net them some cash in the end.

Now if only the Canadian Tire building and that Brutalist apartment building to the northwest of Yonge-Eg centre could follow suit.

Oh, and the current public square is horrible, I don't mind if the new one is smaller, but it's got to be quality.

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts
I always thought retrofitting concrete monstrosities like these old buildings was prohibitively expensive. I guess not - maybe the owners of the Bay-Queen centre and similarly atrocious concrete bunkers should take notice - especially if this turns out to net them some cash in the end.

Now if only the Canadian Tire building and that Brutalist apartment building to the northwest of Yonge-Eg centre could follow suit.

Oh, and the current public square is horrible, I don't mind if the new one is smaller, but it's got to be quality.
They retrofitted the old concrete CIBC building at Yonge and Bloor years ago, and covered the bottom part in concrete coloured stone. Hardly can tell the difference.

·
Moderatee
1,096 Posts
don't forget about the Toronto Star building. It needs a huge paper bag -with two cut-outs for eyes.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
I don't know why but I actually like the Simpson Tower. I only wish they would light the top up again. It's the Thomson towers that can go, and yes the Toronto Star building but we all know that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts