SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you go onto the excellent and very comprehensive skyscrapernews.com, you can see the number of proposed/completed/under condtruction buildings in Yorkshire's cities.

The league table of highrise buildings according to skyscrapernews, is as follows: ( over 35 metres)

Leeds 160
Sheffield 85
Hull 28
Bradford 13
Doncaster 7

There's probably some missing in other Yorkshire towns, but it does give a good idea of those cities who are reaching for the sky!

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
skyfitsboy said:
Lots of proposals for Leeds but very few approvals if the site accurate?
aye - Mayfair, Clarence House, Plaza, BWP, and Globe Road approved - that 28, 20, 26, 30 and 31 storeys. Plaza and BWP u/c

Whitehall Road, West Central, Monksbridge works, Criterion Place and Kite Tower are all visions still.

One could say all mouth and no trousers - but hopefully not for long. If all these get realised then we'll be flying high.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I didn't realise Doncasters population was almost the same has Bradfords.

Leed's metro population of 1,698,841, what areas does this cover?

Is it correct that the actual city of Leeds population is about 421,000? I was just reading a breif history of Leeds on Leedsnet.com and that's what it stated.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skyfitsboy said:
I didn't realise Doncasters population was almost the same has Bradfords.

Leed's metro population of 1,698,841, what areas does this cover?

Is it correct that the actual city of Leeds population is about 421,000? I was just reading a breif history of Leeds on Leedsnet.com and that's what it stated.

The old City of Leeds area is around 420,000 people. But since 1974, Leeds has strtched its boundaries to cover a Metropolitan area which is now covered by Leeds City Council, and this figure is around 720,000.This is the official Leeds population.

Leeds metro population you have stated, include the official "travel to work" areas defined by economists, and this is 1.6 million.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Skychaser 2005 said:
The old City of Leeds area is around 420,000 people. But since 1974, Leeds has strtched its boundaries to cover a Metropolitan area which is now covered by Leeds City Council, and this figure is around 720,000.This is the official Leeds population.

Leeds metro population you have stated, include the official "travel to work" areas defined by economists, and this is 1.6 million.
I've still no idea what area the Leeds metro covers it is very confusing and deceiving :?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think the Leeds metro is calculated by combining the cities of Leeds (700,000 with extended boundires) Bradford (400,000) and Wakefield (300,000) That roughly adds upto 1.4 million, with an extra 200,000 for the other towns nearby, seems like a sensible estimate, considering Bradford and Wakefield merge into Leeds at certain points and large amounts of people commute into the 3 cities from each other.

Metro populations are pretty irrelevent realy though.

·
6,885 Posts
Accura_Preston said:
Wow, didnt realise Hull had that many.
Hull's are almost entirely council housing blocks which the council thare are unfortunately (or fortunately depending on one's viewpoint) actively demolishing many of them, particularly on the notorious Orchard Park Estate.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
indeed, I did a piece of school work way back in 1990 about how they were redeveloping the Corn Exchange and White Cloth Hall. Its reads abysmally (I was only 12 at the time) and has some truely rubbish photos with have the subject matter cut out by bad positioning. As Fred2 says, crikey, how we've come on.

·
Registered
12,620 Posts
jimbo said:
Its reads abysmally (I was only 12 at the time) and has some truely rubbish photos with have the subject matter cut out by bad positioning.
All part of a successful learning curve. ;)

One more image of the old Criterion Place site for good measure.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Skopie said:
I think the Leeds metro is calculated by combining the cities of Leeds (700,000 with extended boundires) Bradford (400,000) and Wakefield (300,000) That roughly adds upto 1.4 million, with an extra 200,000 for the other towns nearby, seems like a sensible estimate, considering Bradford and Wakefield merge into Leeds at certain points and large amounts of people commute into the 3 cities from each other.

It shouldn't include Bradford, because that has a seperate entry. I've told gothic that I thought 1.7 million was too high. These aren't supposed to be metro figures. Just 'City' areas, but not cities as in council boroughs. This 1.7 million makes it just 0.2 million behind Manchester and 0.3 million behind Brum according to our figures on SNUK. Not right IMO.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Skopie said:

The Leeds Metropolitan Borough (i.e. all of whose households pay council tax only to Leeds City Council) has a population of 715,000. The old (prior to 1974) built up area of Leeds had a population of c. 500,000. West Yorkshire Metropolitan County, comprises Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield, Kirklees and Calderdale and has a population of 2,079,211 (2001 census figures)

·
Registered
30,466 Posts
West Yorkshire is what is described as the Leeds Metro. That includes Bradford. It might be more correct, when reffering to metro areas and populations, to refer to the county- Greater London, West Midlands, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, Tyne and Wear, Glasgow & Clyde Valley or Greater Glasgow.

·
6,885 Posts
Yes, but Leeds isn't really at the heart of West Yorkshire, more borders on West and North Yorkshire so is as much the heart of areas like York and Harrogate as it is Wakefield and Bradford.

Also consider that the new official 'Leeds City Region' does indeed include all these areas, and also I believe Hull.

·
Registered
30,466 Posts
Yes but its at the economical heart for the region. It drives the region. I don't know abotu Hull but I know Harrogate, York, Selby, WY and the tip of SY are all in the Leeds city region. Is Doncaster in it?

·
6,885 Posts
Leeds No.1 said:
Yes but its at the economical heart for the region. It drives the region. I don't know abotu Hull but I know Harrogate, York, Selby, WY and the tip of SY are all in the Leeds city region. Is Doncaster in it?
Sheffield has its own city region (one of the eight) and I think Doncaster is in Sheffield's, but strangely I think Barnsley is in Leeds.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts