Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
...wolf in cheap clothing
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Small cities in the US don't get a lot of play here, but I'm still proud of these pics I've taken over the past couple of months so I thought I'd give it a try and show them off. Here is Asheville, North Carolina. Hope you like!

Like I mentioned, these were taken over the past two months, but if you put them together you can tell a little story, from morning to daytime, to lunch, to evening, to dusk.

·
If I could be anyone...
2,551 Posts
Lol, the cat looks like it got run over :)

Very nice city, albeit nothing unexpected.

·
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed.

Lol, the cat looks like it got run over :)

Very nice city, albeit nothing unexpected.
Nah... the first one and second ones were your average attention whores and the third one is just touchy. Give me time... I still might be able to surprise you.

·
Member since Sept. 2004
582 Posts
Well, i've been to the thread now. I'v enever heard of Ashville. But now I have. I'd love to see a bunch of downtown pics though... I find these shots a tad boring... but they're still nice. It looks like a nice, historic city. I'd love to see some downtown shots though really. Not that i'm expecting you to do that but yeah, that'd be cool to see some.

·
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most of these were taken downtown, actually, but I try to avoid taking pictures of people because when I do, they usually want to know why. That's why I focus on the details. That, and my camera is just your average cheapo Kodak Easyshare, so it can be pretty difficult to get a shot of something in motion or a good shot of an entire building. The few times I got pics of entire buildings on here, I really had to work at it. This included lying down on wet sidewalks for at least three of these pics -- people steer clear of strange people splayed out on wet sidewalks for some reason.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Smaller American cities are where it's at! The advantages are numerous...

Less expensive, less traffic, friendlier people, shorter commutes. (unless you are living in a smaller city and commuting to a bigger one)

The old disadvantages have mostly disappeared. Unless it is a REALLY small town, the gossip is not a problem. And most smaller metros now have the same chain stores/restaurants that most bigger cities have, again unless you go REALLY small.

I have found that metro areas of 150-250K are indeed the best. Depending on the area, housing is usually affordable, traffic not a problem, and people are friendly. Problem is, are the jobs there? If can you can put it all together, then you have paradise!

·
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good thread man, i like your city!

A question, your city is how many hours from Charlotte?
Thanks! We're about an hour to an hour and a half west of Charlotte.

pwalker said:
I have found that metro areas of 150-250K are indeed the best. Depending on the area, housing is usually affordable, traffic not a problem, and people are friendly. Problem is, are the jobs there? If can you can put it all together, then you have paradise!
Jobs are probably the area where Asheville suffers most. It's not that there's any sort of shortage, though. It's more that there are so many people clamoring to live here that if you won't work for low pay someone else will, which depresses wages overall. That, and tourism is one of the city's biggest industries, and tourism doesn't pay well at all.

helium said:
care to explain the Double decker Bus?
I really don't know the story of the bus. All I do know is that it's been there as long as I can remember and it's always been a coffee shop up until the owner, who ran the place more as a hobby than anything, got sick. Now it's closed and awaiting an enterprising new owner.

Bond James Bond said:
"Meow?" What is this "meow" of which you speak? We soda crackers know nothing of "meow."

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
The city looks very nice !

·
Banned
641 Posts
Cats and Art Deco buildings are beautiful.

·
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for looking, everyone. I appreciate your feedback and comments.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts