SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a list of the average credit score for citizens in metro areas across the United States.

How does your city rate?

Big-city credit scores
Metro area Score Metro area Score
Minneapolis 705 Detroit 675
Boston 704 Denver 674
Washington, D.C. 691 Tampa 672
Cleveland 689 Miami 671
Seattle 688 Orlando 671
New York 686 Los Angeles 668
Philadelphia 686 Atlanta 667
San Francisco 685 Phoenix 657
Chicago 679 Houston 652
Sacramento 676 Dallas 650

·
Suspended
733 Posts
Why don't you explain the significance of the numerical score for those who don't know TransUnion from a transvestite.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I just saw this too on MSN. There's a really cool skyline on their front page. :)

I hate to be the guy to toot my home cities horn too much, but it seems like Minneapolis just can't lose lately in any of the recent city lists.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
OMG!! I just noticed that the pic on the MSN site is old as hell.

It's missing 225 south sixth, one of the three tallest!!!!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Interesting. Those are pretty decent scores, really. You'd easily be able to get a mortgage from a conforming lender with those scores. I'd like to see these numbers for more cities.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, Minneapolis I am not suprised with having an overall high credit score. Boston I am suprised with all those booms and busts. Pittsburgh also once I read is in the top 5 as far as credit ratings go.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quick theory on Pittsburgh. As we know many young professionals are leaving Pittsburgh for cities with better economies, making Pittsburgh's average age older than the national average. A high credit score could be directly correlated to the older, wiser pittsburgh population.

·
Atlien
305 Posts
Credit scores are given to us by three main credit reporting agencies (Equifax, TransUnion, and Experion) to establish our risk to lenders of not paying back our debts. All the major lenders (AmEx, Visa, Mastercard, mortgage bankers, etc), and even doctors offices and other places from which you are billed can report credit information on you to the credit rating companies. If you miss a payment, or fail to pay back your debt, then you are seen as a higher risk and hence your credit score is lower. If you have a low score, then you will have trouble buying a house, obtaining a car loan, or even getting a credit card with a decent interest rate. There are many factors that go into your score besides your payment habbits, like debt to credit ratio, and lengh of credit history, etc. Most negatives on your score will stay there for about 7 or so years (unless you can fight to have them removed), and their affect on your score becomes less and less over time. A bad credit score can also hurt you in getting a job, as many companies check your score to see how responsible you are with your own finances. Generally, a score over 700 is considered good, and I believe 300 is the worst you can have. I think I read that cities in the south tend to have lower scores on average, while cities up north have higher scores, which is reflected in the list above. I'm sure there are many logical reasons for this, like older populations, etc. I wonder if Minneapolis' high ranking has anything to do with it being the home of AmEx, and hence there are alot of people in the credit card and finance industries there. Hope I made some sense here for the people who don't know anything about credit scores!

Thankfully, my own score is much higher than all of the major cities listed above! :)

Oh, and goooo Dallas (looks like people have been spending too much time at Niemans)! :carrot: :jk:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts