SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Present your historic district of your city..

Here is some typical architecture for Montreal. ( built before 1800)

Does your city invest to keep old or they prefer the buildozzer way?!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Unfortunately, because of the 2008 Olympics and other developments, Beijing is rapidly demolishing the old districts of Beijing - the historic hutongs...it's very sad to see these little courtyard homes disappear so rapidly.

·
Registered Idiot
1,671 Posts
Much of Toronto's either burnt down or was destroyed. There are many buildings still remaining but they don't make up any "district". Just kind of strewn throughout core.

·
Neanderthal
956 Posts
That would be Pioneer Square in Seattle. Though Seattle is a very young city compared to the megas, it still has a fascinating history. A lot of the old buildings were damaged during the Nisqually Earthquake of '01.

Old historic buildings in the shadow of modern skyscrapers.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Detroit's earliest buildings burned in 1805, but they would have probably been torn down anyway. The oldest buildings in the city only date back to the 1820's.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Boston...

Beacon Hill Area:

Old State House, built in 1713:

Faneuil Hall, 1742:

Boston Common State House:

Green Dragon Tavern, Reproduction of the tavern frequented by Paul Revere and other American rebels in Revolutionary times:

Massachusetts state house, design in 1798:

Old South Meeting House. Built in 1729, a Puritan church that site of the a Samuel Adams speech that led to the Boston Tea Party:

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
here are some of the old theaters in Los Angeles

most of them are still standing today

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Lebanon
Grand Serail Beirut - 1853

Ottoman Towe clock, Beirut - 1897

Phoenician Ruins - around 4000 years in front of the Lebanese parliament

·
BANGED
772 Posts
Seoul doesn't have any historic district despite being inhabited for two millenia and having been the capital for over 600 years.

About half were demolished during the Japanese colonization, the other half during the Korean war. All Seoul's got is the remnants of palaces and temples. SAD!

·
WoyaoDaJb
941 Posts
rxpilot said:
Unfortunately, because of the 2008 Olympics and other developments, Beijing is rapidly demolishing the old districts of Beijing - the historic hutongs...it's very sad to see these little courtyard homes disappear so rapidly.
hey, actually the majority of beijing residense do prefer living in the highrises, the compatablity of hutongs with household infrastracture is bad, they werent build for electricty, sewage, and centralised supplied water and etc. Its just the foreigners who critise it without even knowing whats going on. And in any case,if preserving the old is so important, then why dont we just all go back to the stone age and never advance our technology, or more extremely(but fit the philosophy of preserving), why dont we just burn everything we built and kill ourself just for the sake of preserving the old earth. My point is, we can't just protect the heritage just for the sake of it. and theres such thing in the world called "PROGRESS", those old building are going to be destroyed SOONER OR LATER, but if they have practical or artistic values then its fine, but others are gonna get destroyed eventually. so whats the point of getting rid of them now than later.

·
Head Knockin' Forever
12,983 Posts
Although Ankara was originally established about 3000 years ago, it stayed as a small strategical military and trade crossroads city for a long time, until geographic discoveries, then lose importance until 1920's when it become the capital of the new Turkey Republic.

One of the oldest structures shall be the citadel, few thousand years old. But the buildings surrounding are not older than 100-150 generally, most of them were built in 1900's.

Ankara Citadel

Ankara Citadel, The old town and Ulus the historical district of Ankara

Historical Buildings in Ulus mainly built after Republic, in 1920's.

·
Banned
337 Posts
It was only a couple of years ago that I read in some book that most cities have experienced great fires -- I think it was in one of two books on Montreal's evolution where I learnt this -- I don't remember how come the city didn't come to expereince one -- this dread of conflagration was feared by some many urban dwellers around the world back in the day. I learnt from a book on Istanbul that it suffered from conflagrations virtually every year.

I love seeing the many old driveways when strolling in the neighbourhood adjacent to downtown's eastern side here. They're breezeways cut through the row housing that must have led to the stables in the hidden rear courtyards.

Cheers,
Chris

1 - 20 of 55 Posts