SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is your city the backdrop of a literary work? Is your city described directly by an author? Well, you are welcomed to talk about these works/authors in this thread.

I'll start:

Rupert Brooke was an englishman who participated in WWI and subsequently wrote brillant poems about his experiences during the war. He also had the opportunity to travel extensively in the U.S. and Canada and here's what he had to say about Quebec City in his journal:

"Is there any city in the world that stands so nobly as Quebec? The citadel crowns a headland, 300ft high, that juts boldly out into the St. Lawrence. Up to it, up the side of the hill, clambers the city, houses and steeples … It has the individuality and the pride of a city where great things have happened."

"Quebec is as refreshing, after the other cities of this continent, as an immortal among a crowd of stockbrokers. She has, indeed, the radiance and repose of an immortal; but she wears her immortality youthfully."

I hope we'll find many more examples!

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Vancouver, B.C., Canada – Oh Yeah!
though too many curl in doorways--

mountains, no matter
which way you turn, parks,
even down to the sea--

the sea, the sea

wind

smell of leaves lost from trees

and still--
at hundreds of thousands of people--
kindness to strangers

--Vaughan Chapman, Surrey, B.C.

you can find here: Your Canadian hometown poems

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts
A few I can think of off the top of my head: Margaret Atwood, Maureen Jennings, Shawn Micallef, Stephen Colwell, David Chariandy, Robertson Davies, etc..
What I love the most about Maureen Jennings is she describes in detail Toronto of the 1890's through the eyes of a detective.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
A few I can think of off the top of my head: Margaret Atwood, Maureen Jennings, Shawn Micallef, Stephen Colwell, David Chariandy, Robertson Davies, etc..
What I love the most about Maureen Jennings is she describes in detail Toronto of the 1890's through the eyes of a detective.

Murdoch :applause:

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Since 1974, the Toronto Book Awards have been awarded to books "evocative" of Toronto. Other significant authors who write about Toronto include:

Michael Ondaatje, Austin Clarke, Alice Munro, Richard B. Wright, Josef Skvorecky, Marian Engel, Timothy Findley, Camilla Gibb, Dionne Brand, Michael Redhill, and Anne Michaels.

·
Yes. No. Potato?
3,023 Posts
Robertson Davies should be one of the most important!

Fifth Business was very Toronto.
Just finished reading that. Amazing book.

·
Less is More
3,044 Posts
I'm a big fan of Douglas Coupland's work. Though he may not use the city as an intimate backdrop, I feel he frequently epitomizes Canadian 21st century culture, or the culture of the maturing youth. Not to mention his books are hilarious!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts