Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone has varying opinions of where your city is headed as far as development goes. Where is yours headed? Do you see more density? More urban sprawl? Where is it all going? Is it healthy? Or do you even care??

·
Downtown San Jose
1,446 Posts
As a San Jose-an-ite-can, I can tell you the trend here is high-rise housing downtown and infill in the rest of the city. The downtown area is becoming much denser and even though we can't built higher than about 280ft, that density will be a defining characteristic of our skyline.

·
sucks
2,261 Posts
I hope SJ resists the movement to pave over Coyote Valley. I don't cherish the place as some sort of untouched paradise like many do, but I want development to be focused upward, not outward. Thankfully, even if that does happen, south is the only direction they can go.

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a San Jose-an-ite-can, I can tell you the trend here is high-rise housing downtown and infill in the rest of the city. The downtown area is becoming much denser and even though we can't built higher than about 280ft, that density will be a defining characteristic of our skyline.
Why can't they build talller than 280 ft? Is there an airport nearby? I'm not too familiar with that area yet. I will be there in October for the half-marathon though.

·
Downtown San Jose
1,446 Posts
Why can't they build talller than 280 ft? Is there an airport nearby? I'm not too familiar with that area yet. I will be there in October for the half-marathon though.
Our airport situation is worse than even San Diegos! Whereas in SD the planeds can sorta skirt downtown in SJ the pretty much go right over it on landings. And ours is even closer to downtown than SDs. It sucks.

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our airport situation is worse than even San Diegos! Whereas in SD the planeds can sorta skirt downtown in SJ the pretty much go right over it on landings. And ours is even closer to downtown than SDs. It sucks.
Any chance of them rebuilding another outside of the downtown area? Or is it pretty new to begin with?

·
Downtown San Jose
1,446 Posts
Any chance of them rebuilding another outside of the downtown area? Or is it pretty new to begin with?
Our city leaders, in all their wonderful foresight, have thought it wise to spend $1.5b rebuilding it in its current location even though theres a military airfield not 10 miles to the north that could have potentially been the airport's new home.

·
sucks
2,261 Posts
Our city leaders, in all their wonderful foresight, have thought it wise to spend $1.5b rebuilding it in its current location even though theres a military airfield not 10 miles to the north that could have potentially been the airport's new home.
Sunnyvale NIMBYs...

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that military airfield currently in use? Or is it one of those that can be moved with not much hassle?

·
Downtown San Jose
1,446 Posts
Is that military airfield currently in use? Or is it one of those that can be moved with not much hassle?
I may be wrong but I think the airfield now belongs to NASA but is still the base for the Coast Guard and some reserve units. Every now and then I'll see planes and helicopters arrive but I'm not sure what branch they're from. The airfield (Mofett) could easily support an airport and its current flight load.

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I may be wrong but I think the airfield now belongs to NASA but is still the base for the Coast Guard and some reserve units. Every now and then I'll see planes and helicopters arrive but I'm not sure what branch they're from. The airfield (Mofett) could easily support an airport and its current flight load.
I see what you're saying. I think the city here should have really fought the issue with the government on taking over a part of MCAS Miramar and making it the other airport here.

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is it set up like a true downtown area? Or does that matter to you? I like the appeal of a traditional downtown area myself. I was in Virginia Beach last September and they are currently building a downtown area in the middle of town. I thought it would be reallly out of place. But it's turning out quite nice! I'll be there again this September. So I'll probably take a bunch of pictures.

·
sucks
2,261 Posts
Is it set up like a true downtown area? Or does that matter to you? I like the appeal of a traditional downtown area myself. I was in Virginia Beach last September and they are currently building a downtown area in the middle of town. I thought it would be reallly out of place. But it's turning out quite nice! I'll be there again this September. So I'll probably take a bunch of pictures.
Yeah, it's pretty much the heart. Main routes like Monterey Road/First Street, Santa Clara/Alum Rock/The Alamaeda, San Carlos (becomes Stevens Creek Blvd. near Santana Row), 87 and 280 all cut through downtown. San Jose State University is there. It's where the city started, pretty much, so that's where downtown belongs.

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, it's pretty much the heart. Main routes like Monterey Road/First Street, Santa Clara/Alum Rock/The Alamaeda, San Carlos (becomes Stevens Creek Blvd. near Santana Row), 87 and 280 all cut through downtown. San Jose State University is there. It's where the city started, pretty much, so that's where downtown belongs.
I can't wait to see it all in October!

·
Registered
554 Posts
In Salt Lake City I see tons of urban sprawl, as well as some infill in the city center.

The rapidly-expanding population of the suburbs and the influx of workers to the city center (Salt Lake City's daytime, aka worker, population has the highest percentage increase in the country from its permanent population) has fueled income in the city to be used on urban development. The two downtown malls and a few surrounding buildings are being torn down and will give way to the dense, mixed-use, outdoor-oriented City Creek Center by 2011, which will include 4 high-rise condo buildings, a high-rise office building, a two-story shopping center, and a man-made creek representing what City Creek could've looked like before it was rerouted below ground (hence the name).

This type of development has been booming here; the two-level, pedestrian, outdoor Gateway Mall, with surrounding condos and a couple of office buildings, was built in 2002 on the west edge of downtown. The long-range downtown plan includes more dense, mixed-use infill, as well as a dense corridor of high-rises.

However, urban sprawl is also ridiculous. The huge Jordan Landing shopping center opened up in 2003, I believe, in West Jordan. It's one of the biggest shopping centers in the West, supposedly. The Daybreak development in South Jordan began in 2004, and will soon fill up all of the undeveloped land in South Jordan. A new shopping center, The District, is opening up next to it to rival Jordan Landing. However, both will thrive due to the rapidly-expanding population of West Jordan, South Jordan, Riverton, Bluffdale, Herriman, and Draper.

Kennecott, which operates the copper mine in the Oquirrh Mountains and owns the ENTIRE west bench of the valley, has developed a land-use company called Kennecott Land, and they plan to develop all of the land they own that can feasibly be used for development. Pretty much, in 50 or so years, nearly the entire Salt Lake Valley is going to be filled with urban sprawl. Luckily we have light rail, and soon commuter rail, to alleviate things somewhat, but I don't know how much it will truly help, simply because there's so much development occurring so fast.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I can only hope that high-rise development will continue to move away from the airport until it hits an area that is less regulated (east down Santa Clara Street, around Santana Row/midtown).
dont forget North San Jose....i see no reason not to build 400 footers there....i wonder if nsj will eventually be called "uptown"???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts