Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone has varying opinions of where your city is headed as far as development goes. Where is yours headed? Do you see more density? More urban sprawl? Where is it all going? Is it healthy? Or do you even care??

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
In Greensboro, NC, I see continued sprawl as the city grows eastward towards Burlington but I also see more dense developments coming to the center-city area. Certainly other projects such as FedEx Hub, Honda Jet and others will affect the direction of Greensboro. Overall I think it is a very positive direction.

103 Posts
It seems Savannah is experiencing sprawl. Most of downtown is experiencing a hotel/condo boom and the Victorian District is experiencing revitalization as well as the MLK Blvd corridor.

I think overall, Savannah will sprawl to every direction but east, which is already built out. This includes Jasper County, SC and the Hilton Head/Beaufort Micropolitan Area, which SHOULD be part of the Savannah MSA, but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I see a little of everything for Raleigh. As long as there is still land to develop, urban sprawl will continue, although in our case not all of it is the worst kind. Lately, there seems to be a little bias towards new urbanist and pseudo-urban communities, as opposed to traditional communities, but the quality of life should remain good. There are some efforts to avoid the mistakes of the past, but we have yet to see a real urban community developed.

According to our city's Planning Dept director, we now have 25% of the development taking place in downtown, up from 5% five years ago. This shows the continuous interest in urban living, which is the trend for the entire country, as we can witness here. I anticipate high-rise living to attract many young professionals and active retirees who want to live, play and possibly work in a walkable, more urban environment. I anticipate this to continue in the nearest future, although sprawling communities will also appear. Our area's biggest employment center is Research Triangle Park (RTP), which is situated between Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. This explains why developers have finally taken steps towards creating communities even closer to RTP, which may sound like sprawl, but in reality they build infill communities that will bring the Triangle's major centers "closer" to each other.

Let's say that there is something for everyone in our area.

·
Deep South Pillsbury
560 Posts
Sprawl sprawl sprawl. Most people like to live around Augusta but no one wants to live in the core county because of the incompetence and corruption of the city.

Augusta's sprawl goes straight northwest toward Columbia County and the Clarks Hill Lake and northeast toward Aiken County. Hispanic immigrants seem to enjoy living in southern Columbia County, straight west of the city. No one wants to live south.

Sorry I'm a little bitter as just as I'm moving away, Augusta get's a PF Changs. :bash:

·
Skyscraper Guru
835 Posts
nashville right now is going through a condo boom. although it may not be as huge as other cities have eperienced, it is huge for nashville and a city of this size. we have seen a resurgance in downtown, adding condos and population all the time now it seems. this is the trend we are seeing. nashville will only grow larger and more and more people are opting for urban living.

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nashville right now is going through a condo boom. although it may not be as huge as other cities have eperienced, it is huge for nashville and a city of this size. we have seen a resurgance in downtown, adding condos and population all the time now it seems. this is the trend we are seeing. nashville will only grow larger and more and more people are opting for urban living.
I definitely see that downtown condo trend nationwide. Even the smaller metro's are looking for that appeal to the younger crowd.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Where is yours headed? Do you see more density? More urban sprawl? Where is it all going? Is it healthy? Or do you even care??
Generally, Tuscaloosa has a nice natural environment, but a very poor built environment. There are plans intended to improve the built environment, but unfortunately the natural environment is being sacrificed in the process, threatening to leave the city mediocre-at-best in both respects.
There are some "sprawl factors" in every direction - the lake and river to the north, the interstate and the community college to the south, Birmingham and Mercedes to the east, and the airport industrial park and Northport western bypass to the west.
However, sprawl is really more of a major issue in larger cities.
I mean, no matter how "sprawly" a town this size is, you can still drive between nearly any two points in town in 15 minutes, and no matter how "dense" larger cities in the region claim to be, a whole lot of their area residents are going to deal with 30+ minute daily commutes.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sprawl for Greenville. We do have a 600 million dollar project that has multiple 8 to 12 story highrises fixin to get built. It will be dense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Macon Pop.100,000 & MSA over 379,000 is experiencing a lot of huge Commerical & residential developments to it's Downtown, North and South side of town gaining spawls from the over flow of Atlanta.

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Macon Pop.100,000 & MSA over 379,000 is experiencing a lot of huge Commerical & residential developments to it's Downtown, North and South side of town gaining spawls from the over flow of Atlanta.
This is not a stab or anything, but I haven't been to Macon since seeing an aunt in prison there about 25 years ago. So I don't have any idea what's going on there. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
We are undergoing so many post-Katrina transformations in New Orleans...one of the biggest changes is demographics of the city, but, personally, I think that this is going to be one of the biggest transformations.... http://www.neworiverfront.com/

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Savor the Flavor
540 Posts
Austin- An increasingly denser downtown made obvious with all of the construction and proposals in and around downtown. Exciting stuff if you ask me. However, the price of living in this denser area is rather expensive.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Downtown Mobile is getting a lot of condo/lofts also.
Any idea on designs or how tall they'll be? If I were to live in Mobile again, I'd love to live on the 20+ floor, with a view of the bay :)

·
no whammies...
73 Posts

Well, one of the things coming to Jackson, MS (well, ridgeland) is harbor walk. It looks really cool.

Some people down here think it's a bit much for jackson. There is supposed to be a Valencia hotes ajacent to the development. I, personally wouldn't want to live in that part of the resevior.

There's also another development (smaller) coming in ridgeland. It's a new lifestyle shopping center (I hate those) called Renaissance. Somewhat high-end (I guess for Mississippi a pretty taco stand would be), but really not.

There's also a new Hyatt Place coming next to the development. I read where there was also an Embassy Suites (the first & only in MS) to be built close by the new mall too.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts