Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - it's as easy as it sounds... post a few pics of your city's mail boxes and a little information about them and the service...

I'll start with Copenhagen's

They are red and one box goes for all sorts, be that city, country or the rest of the world...

With in the mainland a 99%+ of the letters will be delivered the next day.. on Greenland and the Faroes it might take a day extra depending on when the letter is posted and from where..

The postal service ships 99% of mail to foreign countries the same day, but the resieving country will ofcause also have to process it so expect atleast 2 days ( 3+ if outside the EU depending on the nations rules and service time )

The Danish boxes are easy to use.. you simply drop the letter in them.. they are, depending on their location and usage, emptied a couple times a day and will normally have a dead-line at around 18:00-20:00 after that point the letter will first be picked up the day after...
There's an infomation board on all boxes with the times and information regarding that single unit on each box - so confision should be kept to a minimum..

Well that's pretty much it for my fair city - now it's your turn! :)

·
Nonhyphenated-American
3,371 Posts
Estonia doesnt have many mailboxes anymore...
We tend to use e-mails.
Many USAians place their outgoing mail into their regular road/streetside mailboxes for pickup. Just turn the little red flag up and it will go in the next dispatch. If their mailbox is on the house, they'll place it by the box so the carrier will see it.

That said, there are still plenty of those familiar blue boxes scattered around here, too.

Mike

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
Many USAians place their outgoing mail into their regular road/streetside mailboxes for pickup. Just turn the little red flag up and it will go in the next dispatch. If their mailbox is on the house, they'll place it by the box so the carrier will see it.

That said, there are still plenty of those familiar blue boxes scattered around here, too.

Mike
You know hes talking about the country of estonia not asian.

·
If I could be anyone...
2,551 Posts
^^ I think he meant Americans...

Anyway, for our area, we have generic blue USPS boxes. One design is for walk-up and another design for drive-thru style

·
Nonhyphenated-American
3,371 Posts
^^ I think he meant Americans...

Anyway, for our area, we have generic blue USPS boxes. One design is for walk-up and another design for drive-thru style
Yea, I often say 'USAian' to differentiate something in or of the USA from elsewhere in the Americas. When it comes down to it, the term 'American' is not quite accurate for that use.

Also, yea, there are lots of those familiar blue USPS boxes around here, too, but not as many as there were a couple of decades ago.

Mike

·
Gotta lite?
6,067 Posts
Sadly, unlike the UK which has preserved most of their georgous old red post boxes, here in Germany, the majority are more plain contemporary models.

These photos are not just Frankfurt, but around the country.

Firstly, some of the fine traditional models still to be found.

Also in the current colour of Yellow.

How the more modern models look.

·
LIBERTINED
45,349 Posts
I have the bigger one!!

This is the german mail box of Hannover :scouserd:

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've seen a horn or something like it in a lot of post boxes in central and Eastern Europe, why is that?
Without knowing I would guess that it's a leftover from the old days where the mail would be delived by horsemen who would use a horn to signal that it's mail time when they arrived at small cities and villages... not sure though.. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts