SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

The main square in Sarajevo is located in Bascarsija, or "Old Marketplace". It is called Trg Golub (Pigeon Square) and is actually quite a distance from downtown Sarajevo, and especially from modern areas of the city and squares of a more traditional, European sense.

Trg Golub is, without any doubt, the heart of Sarajevo. It is where people congregate during the early mornings, afternoons, and late evenings to drink coffee, eat traditional Bosnia treats, and listen to live music. Most every street in Bascarsija, the center of the old town, empties into Trg Golub.

In the center of Trg Golub is the Sebilj fountain. Legend says that, as a visitor, if you drink the sweet water from this fountain, you will return to Sarajevo.

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Skëndërbeu Square in Tirana

At night

Skëndërbeu Square is Tirana's main Square and is the heart of the city.
It was called Skëndërbeu Square after the Statue of our National Hero was put there in 1968 exactly 500 years to Skëndërbeu's death.

The Square however existed much earlier.
I believe it was formed in the 1920's when city masterplan came to work.At the time it had a round shaped water-fountain which was later replaced by the existing one they have now.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Hehe, well Kyiv's main square is INDEPENDENCE SQUARE. Which is also the country's main place for celebrations, demonstrations, contests, festivals and other major activities.

I'm not going to bore you with history of the square. But this is where Kyivans gathered in 1991 with Ukrainian flags celebrating proclamation of our Independence from Soviet Union. This is also the place where Orange Revolution took place at the end of 2004.

There's also a huge underground mall in several levels. It connects with another square with underground shopping streets.

All of this is on one square:

I'll add a few more

·
У Борщин
1,204 Posts
I have a couple of pics saved on my comp of Independence Square... I'll post some too... I'll make sure not to post doubles of pics that Stas already posted ;)

During Construction:

Other pics:

It almost looks tropical in this pic... the pics kinda small though :( :

In my opinion the Square looks soooooo much more beautiful at night. Someday I'll be there enjoying the atmosphere :D

·
У Борщин
1,204 Posts
I have a couple of pics saved on my comp of Independence Square (also known as Maidan Nezalezhnosti - Майдан Незалежностi) ... I'll post some too... I'll make sure not to post doubles of pics that Stas already posted ;) If I spelt that wrong please correct me as I am going from memory and am not very good at spelling in Ukrainian quite yet...

During Construction:

Other pics:

It almost looks tropical in this pic... the pics kinda small though :( :

In my opinion the Square looks soooooo much more beautiful at night. Someday I'll be there enjoying the atmosphere :D

·
У Борщин
1,204 Posts
By the way this topic is coming up in the best of ee series at the beginning of june ;)

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
I would say that in Warsaw the main square is 'Defilad' square - this huge area in the Warsaw city center is waiting for redevelopment :

another very important square is 'Pilsudskiego' square :

there are plans to rebuild the missing palaces:

And two most important historic squares:

'Zamkowy' square (castle sqaure):

Old Town square:

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
KRAKOW - market square (the biggest medieval market square in Europe)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^ Really beautiful, all of them!

I had no idea the National Theatre in Belgrade was on Republic Square.

Aristotle: Isn't Kyiv's square amazing? I'm immune now but I can still remember how it felt to see what semi-circle of similar buildings for the first time. :D

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Few more from INDEPENDENCE SQUARE

1 - 20 of 46 Posts