SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
COYS
1,707 Posts
Had some free time this week so I got to work designing a new office block to replace the Housing Executive monolith behind city hall. (lol very sad, yes)

The new block is called 'THE SQUARE SOUTH' and adopts the same basic dimensions of the existing building. The top floor has been replaced by a glazed crown and the internal court yard has been glazed over to create a dramatic six-storey atrium. The main facade has been fixed with gold-coloured bespoke metal cladding and floor-to-ceiling glass. Five retail/restaurant units have been incorporated into the ground floor, with active frontages onto all streets. The Alfred Street facade has also been designed purposely to appear as if it is two separate structures, to help break up massing and create a more varied streetscape.

Untitled by Conor2k9, on Flickr

I'll maybe post some more screen grabs below.

·
saulalvarez
127 Posts
I really do admire your design skills, very impressive, although I'm not a fan of the design itself if I'm honest. It looks like honeycomb and would just look completely out of place due to the colour? It isn't too forgiving on the listed building opposite. Perhaps a darker tone would work?

Constructive criticism and all that. I'm off to get practicing on Sketchup and Photoshop anyway, I have a lot of catching up to do :lol:

·
COYS
1,707 Posts
^^ It would definitely be a controversial design! The colour hasn't really come across as intended unless I spent hours pumping out some proper renders but instead of the yellow it should be more of a dull metallic gold in real life, not that that might be selling it any more to you. :lol::lol:

Also working on a deco inspired BBC redevelopment atm.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Sailortown Quays concept

Includes:
147 metre mixed use tower (with observation deck and hotel)
Netflix European HQ
BBC Regional HQ
3,000 riverside apartments
New signature bridge across to Titanic Quarter

^^
Couldn't be arsed finishing all the blocks or doing landscaping, pure fantasy and excuse the crappy 5 min renders.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Agreed, I like it. If we ever got a game changer, like EU special status for example, the amount of undeveloped or underdeveloped land around Belfast city centre is staggering.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
We could be like Dublin - just with more height :). Imagine all the London companies wanting the best of both worlds here in Belfast.
The variation in height is the important part- Dublin suffers from every building along the waterfront being the same height. The cluster puts me slightly in mind of the Circle Square development in Manchester.

The land around Titanic Belfast could then be developed as a park, allowing a great view of the new waterfront on the opposite side, and maintaining lines of sight to the museum and Nomadic.

On a different theme, here is my proposal for Shaftsbury Square. Sadly i have no computer package- or ability to use one anyway- so a half arsed sketch will have to do.

Shaftsbury
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

Essentially the current mess would be turned into a three lane roundabout, surrounded by classical styled buildings. In the middle would be a public space with water feature in the centre. The water feature would comprise glass columns replicating part of the Giants Causeway, with a fountain in the centre and water cascading over the columns. The columns would be illuminated at night. The buildings surrounding the new space would have a consistent style the whole way round, in a similar manner to the Circus in Bath.

It would provide an impressive gateway into the city centre from the south... and anyone saying 'pastiche' or 'why didn't you use contemporary aluminium rainscreen cladding' would get a slap in the face.

·
22,105 Posts
^^

Why no powder coated aluminium cladding panels?! :lol:

I think your sketching skills are excellent, I’m shite at drawing. I love the idea of a circus for Shaftesbury. I may not agree necessarily, but could be convinced, with the classical style for here but the idea itself could be very impressive. Love the fountain design concept as well, I’d add trees as well

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Man that is brilliant - you don't need a computer when you can sketch like that. Not too keen on the 3 lane carriageway around it. Why not pedestrianise the square and put the car junction underground? Then you could have bars and restaurants with loads of outdoor seating. In the summer concerts like Belsonic could be held in it. Can imagine it becoming a real centre of activity for students. It's brilliant.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Not too keen on the 3 lane carriageway around it. Why not pedestrianise the square and put the car junction underground?
There's so many roads coming into the junction would it be possible to safely do an underground junction? Perhaps it could be reduced to a two lane roundabout, and for events you could bar traffic flows around certain portions of it to allow safe pedestrian access.

I may not agree necessarily, but could be convinced, with the classical style for here but the idea itself could be very impressive. Love the fountain design concept as well, I’d add trees as well
Yeah, it doesn't have to be a classical design, but something better than the norm that would make it a place to visit, with a consistent design the whole way round, would be a must. And a design that will still look good in 30.. 50.. etc years time. Brick and stone only, no cladding!

Trees and all would be a must, and some of the central area could be grass as well.

Every time i walk through Shaftsbury Square, i can't help but visualise a circus type design and think 'this is the right thing to have here'.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
The variation in height is the important part- Dublin suffers from every building along the waterfront being the same height. The cluster puts me slightly in mind of the Circle Square development in Manchester.

The land around Titanic Belfast could then be developed as a park, allowing a great view of the new waterfront on the opposite side, and maintaining lines of sight to the museum and Nomadic.

On a different theme, here is my proposal for Shaftsbury Square. Sadly i have no computer package- or ability to use one anyway- so a half arsed sketch will have to do.

Shaftsbury

Essentially the current mess would be turned into a three lane roundabout, surrounded by classical styled buildings. In the middle would be a public space with water feature in the centre. The water feature would comprise glass columns replicating part of the Giants Causeway, with a fountain in the centre and water cascading over the columns. The columns would be illuminated at night. The buildings surrounding the new space would have a consistent style the whole way round, in a similar manner to the Circus in Bath.

It would provide an impressive gateway into the city centre from the south... and anyone saying 'pastiche' or 'why didn't you use contemporary aluminium rainscreen cladding' would get a slap in the face.
That looks great! It reminds me of the Piaza della Repubblica in Rome a bit

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Titanic Exhibition Centre redevelopment - Phase 1

New Queens Rd roundabout
- including access road to exhibition centre and film studio
- 24 hour BRT lane
- SPECS average speed cameras

Phase 2 will involve building a £150 million exhibition centre and a permanent Game of Thrones attraction.

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
Would be good to have the street-scape smartened up there, as it still feels a bit industrial walking around. For some reason I want there to be palm trees, though.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
East Embankment

Phase 1: Albert Bridge to Ormeau Bridge

See map below. A large footway (black) and two lane cycle path (blue) connecting Albert Bridge to Ormeau Bridge. Will require:
- building of some land into the river behind the industrial units on the Lower Ravenhill Road (purple shaded area), creating a more sweeping curve;
- closure of Ormeau Embankment road, with a portion retained to serve the Leisure Centre (with realigned driveway), Ravenhill Reach and the Asia supermarket;
- two new foot/cycle bridges- the proposed Gasworks one and a one near AllState

East Embankment

Footpath will be as wide as this on along Valencia seafront

IMGP1352

Extremely rough indicative sketch: new railings and lamps along river - wide walkway -two lane cycle path with a row of trees on each side.

IMGP1404

If needed:

- a possible river tunnel for vehicles connecting the remaining part of Ormeau Embankment to the Gasworks.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #120 (Edited)
Dude that's amazing....

I was just thinking the other day about closing the Ormeau Embankment Road and letting the park flow down to the river (like it originally did in the early 1900s). I don't know if you've been down at the Gasworks/Lagan Towpath/Allstate at lunchtime, but it's runners and cyclist galore. If the bridge was built, all these could people easily access the park.

Basically making Ormeau Park a World Class City centre park....

101 - 120 of 154 Posts