SkyscraperCity banner

121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
^^
That's precisely what I had in mind! There's an old painting from back in the day of ormeau bridge where the park just sweeps straight down to the river. we need that back.

·
COYS
1,707 Posts
Back with another design. This time I've been messing around with Broadcasting house and drawn up my own interpretation of the BBC HQ revamp.

The basic design consolidates the exiting functions of both Broadcasting House and Blackstaff House into one building. The existing original building would be restored and scrubbed up, whilst everything else would be demolished and rebuilt. One major change would be the creation of a new pedestrianised public space, called 'Broadcasting Square' atop the existing pretty dire Linenhall St West. This space would be fronted by cafes or restaurants on both sides, as well as serving as the new main entrance to the BBC HQ. I've also contemplated the potential of a small local broadcasting and media museum fronting the square.

The architectural elements of the new building takes inspiration from the decorative elements of the existing Broadcasting House, using the same brick-type and an array of deco-motifs. The other main inspiration of the build is from the ex-industrial Victorian warehouses lining the streets in this part of the city. To match the surrounding area, the facade facing Linenhall St is clad in a red brick. Inside the building, a central glazed atrium serves as the hub of the HQ. The 50m tower element is topped off by a large, illuminated decorative crown. The smallish piece of leftover land at the intersection of Ormeau Av and Linenhall St would be sold off to an independent developer.

Untitled by Conor2k9, on Flickr

A more detailed rendering:

Apologies for all the pix. There a few more extra ones on my flickr.

·
saulalvarez
127 Posts
Very cool Plank, could argue it could go as far as Newtownabbey/Glengormley and even Lisburn, Carryduff, Cultra. Belfast is a compact city but the suburbs stretch out far enough. You could definitely justify a metro in terms of track distance imo.

All the designs on this thread are awesome, the fact you guys are doing a better job than the architects and designers is pretty telling also. Imagine if politicians here actually proposed these ideas...new airports, revolutionary public transport (sorry, but glider was a safe choice and a temporary solution), parks, sustainable housing.. over the absolute nonsense that is discussed.. just imagine..

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
Exactly. No vision from these politicians. Everything is just sticking plasters for the 4/5 year election cycle. Where's the 10/20/30/40 years visions. Why aren't we talking about building a Metro by 2040. A new airport terminal by 2030. High speed railway to L'Derry / Dublin / Cork / Galway by 2050.

Stop talking about building vanity bridges to Scotland when yous lot can't even build a new bridge over the Lagan. Or a flyover at York Street.

Rant.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
^^

I like it. The site though is going to be larger. I think it’ll also include the multi-storey car park and vacant plot on Queen Street, formerly LeisureWorld.
Didn't realise they had all of that site too. I'd drawn a box outline for the Leisureworld site... might add something in for the hell of it later!

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Something like that would be amazing but as always I have ZERO faith in our elected politicians to deliver such a transformative project, especially when they can't even decide on the pedestrian of a city centre street.

After the Bank Building fire they had an amazing opportunity to put together a masterplan to transform our city centre into an attractive traffic free space with trees, grassy areas, play parks, water but instead they took the EASY option and put the buses and cars back on it.

It's so frustrating because many parts of our city centre are looking extremely run down and it's not because we don't have the cash to improve them, instead it's because this city has zero political leadership in making change happen.

I'm losing the will because it's so frustrating seeing a city centre which has so much potential become so neglected due to the lack of political leadership. If we were poor I could understand, but we aren't.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm losing the will because it's so frustrating seeing a city centre which has so much potential become so neglected due to the lack of political leadership. If we were poor I could understand, but we aren't.
I don't disagree, but something like the above (awesome by the way our very own Cheonggyecheon - definitely had to Google that one.) would require not just politicians, but say civic and business groups pushing for it too.

Contrast with the park vision as proposed by the Line Quarter BID, equally -in my opinion - as transformative. Maybe we should pester the Belfast Centre BID to get it on their radar and leverage politicians.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
This is what you have to work with when it comes to the Farset

I thought maybe if you make it an incredibly shallow channel you could get enough water to have it at least a few metres wide, but then I thought of how that's man trying to change nature and there's bound to be a biblical parable about the futility of trying to stop a river.

121 - 140 of 154 Posts