Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Futurist
38,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We already have 30, so I think it's safe to assume that London will have yet more skyscrapers proposed over the next few years.

But what would your ideal location for the next major proposal be, how tall would it be, what sort of design and other features
would it have, what uses and functions would the tower serve, etc.? In other words, describe your "dream" proposal. :)

(and it needn't be restricted by the CAA, sight lines, height limits or other planning laws...)

·
1,173 Posts
X-City 4000 for the Isle of Dogs!

No, that would be too tall and unbuildable. I love the design for Takenaka's Sky City 1000. Thats awesome and 1 km tall. It looks 'right' and I believe it will be the first arcology to be built, probably in Shanghai I imagine.

·
Registered
18,396 Posts
What is an arcology? I'm sure I've heard of it in some sci-fi novels but don't remember what it is. :?

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
I would like to see a large, run down area competely flattened about 1-2 miles awy from the city cluster, and then the worlds tallest building built in it's place!

Well, atleast somewhere not protected by 2 dozen sightlines or breaching flight paths... Is there ANYWHERE in London at all where there are no CAA restrictions? Seriously just talking 50 sqm here. Anywhere?

·
Registered
491 Posts
A race for the tallest building in europe site

i think london should have a spot which it can race other citys in europe for the tallest skyscraper in europe title.

that would be cool. :)

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
I think this dream is realistic! A corridor of integrated, self perperuating, renewable resourced linear settlements on the brown field sites along the EastThames corridor, with an uninterupted woodland, heath and marsh plantation running along side and linear road, bus and train line. Any well designed towers would be allowed with no height restrictions. Developers would be allowed to build private developments and experiment architecually as long as they add to the green lands or social housing or social provision.

Developers from around the world would be allowed to enter competitions to design for New London!

City airport would be moved east and built in a natural or man made gorge.

·
Registered
491 Posts
mulattokid said:
I think this dream is realistic! A corridor of integrated, self perperuating, renewable resourced linear settlements on the brown field sites along the EastThames corridor, with an uninterupted woodland, heath and marsh plantation running along side and linear road, bus and train line. Any well designed towers would be allowed with no height restrictions. Developers would be allowed to build private developments and experiment architecually as long as they add to the green lands or social housing or social provision.

Developers from around the world would be allowed to enter competitions to design for New London!

City airport would be moved east and built in a natural or man made gorge.

i really whish this would happen!
but build them somwhere like in the east end of london not in the countryside
hey mabye next to where the 2012 games are going to be :)

PS: LONDON WILL HAVE IN THE NEXT 5 YEARS ANOTHER 89! 100m+ BUILDINGS BUIT!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Red - the river side
What i hope to be achieved is a skyscraper anywhere in the red region reaching at least 150-200m. Hense streching out the skyline out, combining the City and CW. Hopefully this would draw further midrises in that region.

Its always nice to have a skyline on the edge of a river, lake, sea, ocean, that goes on for at least 2miles.

I think that, if CW really wanted to go for it and take-over the City, it should expand into the red region, further reaching the square mile. Because, right now, i like the CW's skyline better than the City's, even if all the City's projects were complete today.

Blue - The City
There are already a number of projects proposed for the City that would work to further expand the City's financial influence elsewhere. I hope that, in 20years time, the City skyline will progress in the direction of the Red region and canary wharf, thus uniting the two foes (City & CW) into one massive super developer!

Yellow - South of the Thames
I hope a number of mid-rises ranging from 90-125m would start to develop anyware in the yellow region, hense creating a skyscraper valley when sailing through the thames.

Of course, if it was to go my way, it will all be achieved in at most, 3-4 decades! :(
But as you can see, it wouldnt take ALOT of buildings to create that 1 massive skyline!

·
Registered
491 Posts
nice idea :) :thumbsup:
but i would have made the red zone wider to the west
and teh tip of the yellow zone also a 100+metre area
and i would have the red zone as a 200+metre area :)

·
Futurist
38,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dream for the City would be a soaring, elegant skyscraper combining futurism with a traditional/classic look. It would be around 400m tall and would stand to the left of the Bishopsgate Tower when seen from Waterloo Bridge. It would have an incredibly detailed, intricate crown that would put even the best of New York's skyscrapers to shame. The main body of the tower would start off fairly wide at the bottom and then become slightly more angular and tapered nearer the top. At night, the tower would have the world's best and most elaborate lighting scheme.

I'd also like some 500-footers around Heron, Leadenhall and SwissRe, etc. to plug the other gaps and give a bit more height variation.

My dream for Canary Wharf would be a 100-storey skyscraper to the north of the cluster, with several 50-storey towers around it. Some sort of observation tower nearby would be great as well.

I'm pretty happy with what's happening in the rest of London, and I don't think we've got much to complain about, though a couple of new hotel/residential towers in the West End would be cool (provided they were near Centrepoint).

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
I think the city would need a tall and normal box skyscraper. All scrapers planned for the city have some kind of sneaky design (which is great) but variety is needed.

This is an example...i think this tower is stunning.

·
Registered
24,340 Posts
I'd like the two supertall proposals for the City resurrected - Millennium Tower and Citygate Ecotower:

The Millennium tower was a fantastic 'British' design and I loved the curves on the roof. I would stick this in the centre of the cluster, maybe to the east of the Swiss Re, with the Citygate Ecotower somewhere on Cammomile Street to pull Minerva into the main City cluster.

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
yes I always loved the milennium tower....I wonder what would happen if it had been propsed today and the site was still vacant? It would probably get permission with a height reduction.

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
Yes, It would look amazing with the two of them, Would really be one of the best skylines in the world...

Oh and if they were to do that they should add 30m-40m to the Millenium tower to make it 400m! And 15 to the eco tower to make it 500m!

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
mulattokid said:
yes I always loved the milennium tower....I wonder what would happen if it had been propsed today and the site was still vacant? It would probably get permission with a height reduction.
Is the only airport that actually causes the trouble city airport?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I REALLY wish that swiss Re was like 70m taller, and i would of loved to have seen T42 at 700feet and The bishopsgate tower getting reduced from 325m to 288 is a crime in my opinion, all those things and like will said a 400m+ mega tower in the middle would be my ultimate dream....*sigh*

1 - 20 of 201 Posts