Skyscraper City Forum banner

What is your favorite Chicago Summer Weather?

• Bring it on! The hotter the better! (90 degrees +)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Fairly hot is fairly good! (80 degrees to 89 degrees)

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • I like the nice breezy 70s! (70 degrees to 79 degrees)

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • I don't even own shorts! (69 degrees and below)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Actually, I don't care!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm a 90 degree guy. Maybe it's because I lived most of my life in the south, but I'm in a better mood when it's super hot and my fellow female classmates look better when it's hotter.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Call me weird, but a perfect summer day in Chicago starts out relatively cool, (60 degrees or so, becomes a little hazy and humid by noon (80 degrees), then peaks around 88,then a nice hour long thunderstorm sometime in the afternoon with plenty of thunder, then a cool down to about 70 around dinnertime, and a comfortable evening back in the 60's. To me, this is what Chicago summers are all about! And you can arrange your BBQ around all this quite easily if you know the pattern!

·
Registered
115 Posts
For me, I love the mid to upper 80s. Starting cool in the early morning in the upper 50s lower 60s. (Makes good sleeping weather :) Then in the afternoon it reaches its high point of what I said previously. Then a loud thunderstorm with lots of rain and thunder. Sounds like my day is much like pwalker's.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
I'll scare the crap out of all of you: I'll take a Chicago winter's weather over much of the summer. If it were up to me, 72° would be tops. If I lived in Miami, Phoenix, New Orleans, Houston, or Vegas for a year, I'd be dead before the year was out. I'm not even sure I'd be able to survive St. Louis. Obviously San Francisco would not be an issue.

I absolutely love cool (not cold!), invigorating air.

·
muted
7,080 Posts
I went with: "I like the nice breezy 70s! (70 degrees to 79 degrees)." I can't stand hot, humid weather. It feels like an illness after a while. The 70s (and even low-to-mid eighties, if dry) are perfect. I'll take weather like that all year round.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
I'll scare the crap out of all of you: I'll take a Chicago winter's weather over much of the summer. If it were up to me, 72° would be tops. If I lived in Miami, Phoenix, New Orleans, Houston, or Vegas for a year, I'd be dead before the year was out. I'm not even sure I'd be able to survive St. Louis. Obviously San Francisco would not be an issue.

I absolutely love cool (not cold!), invigorating air.
preach it, borther.

i despise hot & humid weather. now, i can certainly enjoy a nice 80 degree day with LOW humidty and a good breeze, but i would much rather live through a month of winter weather than go through 1 day of that awful 90 degree/90%+ humidity bullshit.

"why did god create humidity?" that question is actually one of the central ideas that caused me to lose my religion. sitting around one sweltering, suicide-inducing, summer hell-scape afternoon many years ago, i asked myself this question. i realized that no benevolent creator who had any decency in his heart would ever curse his own creation with something as awful, wicked, & putrid as the summertime plague known as humidity. acknowledging that humidty did in fact exist, i concluded that god simply doesn't exist, or that he's a sadisitic asshole.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
preach it, borther.
you know you could put your money where your mouth is and send some of that cool lakefront summer around air around Marina City westward ten or fifteen miles for those of us suffering in the "interior". You realize that days exist when you're swaggering around in the 70's while we're sweltering in the 90's. Have a heart, Dan!:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"why did god create humidity?" that question is actually one of the central ideas that caused me to lose my religion. sitting around one sweltering, suicide-inducing, summer hell-scape afternoon many years ago, i asked myself this question. i realized that no benevolent creator who had any decency in his heart would ever curse his own creation with something as awful, wicked, & putrid as the summertime plague known as humidity. acknowledging that humidty did in fact exist, i concluded that god simply doesn't exist, or that he's a sadisitic asshole.
whoa, sorry you feel that way. i cant explain why, but i kinda like humidity. and i lived in NC for 12 years, so I'm used to 110 degree ass-whooping humidity that Chicagoans rarely experience. i just manage to feel comfortable in it; not sure how. maybe its because the best of my kid memories all involve a lot of heat and humidity in the background.

And maybe God put bad things on earth to make it possible to differentiate and enjoy good things. If he were sadistic he'd give us humidity everyday and make impossible the notion of a cool breeze and air conditioning. just a thought.

·
Registered
59 Posts
preach it, borther.

i despise hot & humid weather. now, i can certainly enjoy a nice 80 degree day with LOW humidty and a good breeze, but i would much rather live through a month of winter weather than go through 1 day of that awful 90 degree/90%+ humidity bullshit.

LOL! My sentiments exactly. In fact, I very regularly state that "air conditioning is the greatest invention of all time." I despise really hot humid weather; it's an utter mystery to me how anyone can bear living in the likes of a NO or Miami. Of course, I'm also about as white as you can be without officially being an albino, so perhaps I'm not particularly genetically predisposed to heat tolerance.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
LOL! In fact, I very regularly state that "air conditioning is the greatest invention of all time."
i wonder if people realize how far the impact of A/C has gone far beyond our personal comfort. Prior to the easy availability of air condiitioning the South and other Sun Belt areas were literally off limits to millions of Americans who could not survive the heat. The transformation of America after WWII that drew people to the south and raidcally changed the power structure of the nation was built on air conditioning.

and without easy avaliability of the stuff, Atlantic City would be the #1 gaming capital of America today.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i wonder if people realize how far the impact of A/C has gone far beyond our personal comfort. Prior to the easy availability of air condiitioning the South and other Sun Belt areas were literally off limits to millions of Americans who could not survive the heat. The transformation of America after WWII that drew people to the south and raidcally changed the power structure of the nation was built on air conditioning.

and without easy avaliability of the stuff, Atlantic City would be the #1 gaming capital of America today.
Huh, interesting thought. I've always been amazed that people settled and actually farmed in the Southern states prior to air conditioning. I'd be one of the afore-mentioned people for whom the South would be off limits. I'll tell you this, when you hit that cold-dry air when coming in from outside on a hot, humid day, the feeling is utterly euphoric. Once I went to Great America and it ended up being 101 that day; we had to take lunch at the McDonalds across the street, and when I hit that air, I knew then and there that I'd never again take air conditioning for granted.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
you know you could put your money where your mouth is and send some of that cool lakefront summer around air around Marina City westward ten or fifteen miles for those of us suffering in the "interior". You realize that days exist when you're swaggering around in the 70's while we're sweltering in the 90's. Have a heart, Dan!:)
there's a reason i don't now, nor ever will, live in B-grove.

you've made your bed, edsg, now you have to sweat in it. ;)

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
there's a reason i don't now, nor ever will, live in B-grove.

you've made your bed, edsg, now you have to sweat in it. ;)
you're just jealous if I want a wooden plaque in the shape of a bone with my dog's name on it or real genunine fake Swiss cuk-coo clock, I can run over to Long Grove in ten minutes to get them....and you can't.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts