Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post your favorite museums and arts galleries in the U.S.; include photographs and links if possible.

·
Banned
4,572 Posts
the most beautiful one in the nation...without hometown bias.

I also like Chicago Science and Industry museum-check this place out if your ever in Chicago, its quite an experience. The Milwaukee Public Museum is very nice as well.

Havent been to that many..but Im sure the Guggenheim is amazing. I also want to check out the Whitney Museum in NYC.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Field and S&I in Chicago. The only other one I've been to outside Chicago is the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
LFL/Zach Fuller gallery
530 w 24th street ny
http://www.zachfeuer.com/

if you like art that constantly engages you lfl is definitley the place...my favorite gallery..right now...

I tell you whats crazy...a couple of months ago I had a job interview at the guggenheim..and I had to go to the level below the museum...wow...it was like the batcave....

my other favorites
the whitney (its good i'm cuny student..because I honestly couldn't afford it if I wasnt)
Bronx Museum of arts
the met

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I always thought that the Museum of Modern Art was overrated and overpriced. Now that they've done some changes and basically doubled the price, I'm pretty positive it's overpriced.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is awesome and you only need to make a "donation" to enter. It's too much to see in one day, though.

I have been to the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry many times as I grew up in Milwaukee. I loved it. Another great science museum that is not in the US is the one in Toronto.

Most of the Smithsonian museums are awesome, but the crowd favorite and mine is the Air and Space museum.

Another great aviation museum that is completely free is the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in metro Dayton, Ohio.

Milwaukee's Natural History Museum is very good for a city the size of Milwaukee and the Art Museum is pretty good. But, I haven't been since they redid it with it's "wings."

·
Registered
167 Posts
Of the ones Ive been to, MOCA in Chicago and the CCAC in Cincinnati are great modern art museums. CCAC is more of a Kunsthalle, but the shows are quite good. MOCA has a great collection.

Art Institute of Chicago is probably tops for "The Art of the Museums"...old masters, modern classics etc.

For technology musuems that work for adults as well as kids, the Youngstown Musuem of Labor & Industry and the Henry Ford Museum are great.

For local/state history the Indiana State Museum in Indy and the Heinz Regional History Center in Pittsburgh are excellent.

For smaller local history mueums would be the history museum complex in South Bend, which incorporates an excellent newer museum, an industrialists mansion, and a factory workers house. For a smaller city this is a great little complex.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Does anyone have a list of the best Museums of Photography? I know there are photographic exhibits in parts of some museums, but there must be a museum devoted solely to photography.

·
Proud Marylander
553 Posts
National Aquarium in Baltimore
Maryland Science Center
Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington
Baltimore Museum of Art
all the free entry Smithsonians in Washington :)

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
The National Aquarium in Baltimore is one of the best in the country and its currently adding a new building and a water park/plaza too.

The Hirshhorn in Washington is one of my favorites.

MoMA in NYC is good too.

·
Look closer...
1,137 Posts
I've been the Met in NYC, and still find the Art Institute of Chicago the best art musuem I've been to. I love that place.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts