SkyscraperCity banner

What's Your Favorite Skyscraper in the U.S.?

• Sears Tower, Chicago

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Empire State Building, NYC

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Bank of America Plaza, Atlanta

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Chrysler Building, NYC

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • Library Tower, LA

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • John Hancock Center, Chicago

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • Bank of America Centre, Seattle

• Two Prudential Plaza, Chicago

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • One Liberty Place, Philly

• Key Tower, Cleveland

Votes: 2 2.5%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Ditto on Chrysler Building. My first runner-up isn't on your list... The Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I've always been fond of the Hancock.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
i realy like that new Apple's store in NYC in street 57 and street 58 it's name Apple fifth avenue ,it's completly great i wish to see it front my eyes

i know it's not tower or even one floor but i amazed when i see it in pic's ,new idea

·
Live and Let Live
1,606 Posts
The Chrysler Building is my absolute favorite skyscraper.....elegant and beautiful. Its a piece of art.

I also like the John Hancock Center and The Library Tower.

I dont really like the Transamerica Pyramid that much, but its probably one of the 5 most easily recognizable skyscrapers on the planet. :runaway:

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I'd like Transamerica a lot more if it didn't have those two handles coming out near the top. I think those really hurt the design.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
xzmattzx said:
how is the key tower on this list but not the transamerica pyramid?

i voted for one liberty place. to me, it has perfect proportions.
I forgot the Transamerica Pyramid by accident. I was just in Cleveland a few days ago and I went to the Key Tower and it's one of the tallest buildings in the country so I just thought of it and put it on. It is a pretty nice building though and it's tall.

Key Tower

·
Registered
106 Posts
RP1 said:
I'd like Transamerica a lot more if it didn't have those two handles coming out near the top. I think those really hurt the design.

The architect didn't really have much of a choice. Due to the drastic decrease in floor area/ increase in height, those 'handles' serve as function
as well as form: the left 'handle' or wing serves as an elevator shaft, the
right one as a stairwell. They had to begin at the 29th floor all the way
up to the 48th just for the sake of having any usable office space.

Ingenious...and looks good, too, IYAM.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Citicorp Building in Manhattan. I think it's pretty cool how it stands on pillars. The first few floors is like a shopping mall.

Look how small the taxi all the way on the right is next to the pillar all the way on the right

This picture was taken from Queens

·
Texas-NoVA
2,265 Posts
chicagogeorge said:
I've always been fond of the Hancock.

Am I wrong for thinking that is the best building in Chicago? Or at least better than the Sears Tower? :runaway:

I always have liked Williams Tower in Houston alot and that is my favorite tower in the entire south. But Hancock

1 - 20 of 48 Posts