SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To complement the thread about your favourite Liverpool building I thought it might be good to ask what is your favourite building from the rest of the globe? Doesn't have to be still standing... could be a bridge or dam...what ever. Some people have listed their top 10 Liverpool buildings... maybe do that on here too... or maybe best ancient, best modern etc?

Pyramid of the moon Mexico

The Chrysler bdg NYC

San Siro Milan

The newest tower in Hong Kong

more in the morning...g'night

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Old building (non English): St Mark's Basilica, Venice
Old building (English): Durham Cathedral
Modern building: Sydney Opera House
Skyscraper: Bank of China, Hong Kong
Art Deco: Chrysler Building, New York

....could become a long list, I may add to it later.

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
So many.

Chrysler Building definately in there, Blue Mosque in Istanbul, Petronas Towers if only for their symbolism, just about any of the grand Gothic cathedrals from Durham right down to Canterbury.

·
User Registered
4,830 Posts
Obv the ones in Dubai because of my 16th birthday being in the Burj al Arab, BUT for me the Petronas because the footprint is the shape of the jewish star, im not jewish but i think its well thoughr of to do something like that, and something i'd like to see done in Liverpool, although not Jewish:)

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice to see this thread reappear again.

As the Petronaas towers are the embodiment of Islamic prgogress as seen from that part of the world I cannot see them incorporating anything celebrating Jewery.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Empire State Building
Maybe not as good looking as the chrysler but certainly more powerful. I love its dominance and name.If you are visiting NYC soon make sure you go up the recently reopened rockerfeller centre viewing tower in the evening for the best view of this iconic building.

Sydney Opera House
I think i read that this had a lot of critics when it was being planned/built
but together with the harbour bridge this building placed Sydney onto the world stage.

CN Tower
Takes Toronto's average skyline into an instantly recognisable one.
viewed approaching the city by car it gives the city a wow factor and lets you know were you are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Angkor Wat in Cambodia.
First saw it in the middle of a downpour, the puddles on the causeway were warm and up to my calfs. The rain had driven all the tourists back to town and I had it almost all to myself for 2 hours. The thing that struck me most apart from its beauty, setting and size was the fact that you are able to climb and clamber all over it. The steps that lead to the top are steep as hell, eroded and scary.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nice to see this thread reappear again.

As the Petronaas towers are the embodiment of Islamic prgogress as seen from that part of the world I cannot see them incorporating anything celebrating Jewery.
you're right the floorplates are based on an 8 sided octaginal star, two regular squares superimposed at a 45 degree angle which is an islamic symbol. to increase the usable floor space 'bays' exist between the star points. islam uses elaborate paterns as thier motifs as they are not allowed to use animals or humans in their symbology.

my two, or you could say three favorite buildings that have since gone are the former world trade center. and the singer building both new york. the singer building imo was the one of the greatest looking buildings in history, an early 20c architectural master piece of red brick and white lime stone and to tear it down to replace it with the giant banal black box of 1 liberty plaza is shame in it's self...

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aye, some great choices there. I was always a fan of the simplicity of the WTC.... and the Singer Building was a stunning early skyscraper..... could someone google an image and put it on here?

·
Registered
909 Posts
The Anglican Cathedral, Liverpool UK

The Reichstag, Berlin

John Hancok Centre, Chicago

L'Unite D'habitation, Marseilles

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice one Percy St.

Funny thing was, except for this, before I hasd actually been to NYC I never liked the Beaux Arts style of early skyscrapers.... but the first time I hit downtown Manhattan and saw them in the flesh I was blown away by their incredible beauty.... and just as much by the names of many of them.. The Brooklyn penny depository and the Harlem banking and loans etc... showing exactly what dynamics lie behind what real cities do.

Great stuff.

Also note the street this is taken from, looks like Hackins Hey or one of the other weints that run off dale St.. if only we had some stuff like that to terminate and define some of the vistas from our back cracks, instead of just having back cracks defining planning here!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
As far as ancient architecture goes, I'd have to agree that Angkor Wat is pretty special. I also love Machu Picchu and all the Mayan and Aztec pyramids (don't know the names of any of them!)

I also love anything by Gaudi, particularly Sagrada Familia. His buildings are magical.

The Bank of China Tower in Hong Kong and the Chrysler Building are my favourite high-rises. The Bank of China Tower is such a striking building, particularly at night and the Chrysler Building is the most beautiful highrise building in the world.

Closer to home, I've always liked the Three Graces in Liverpool, particularly the Liver Building (I've always loved the statues of the Liver birds on top of the clock towers!)

I really like all the bridges in Newcastle. The Tyne Bridge has loads of character and the Millennium Bridge is amazing.

I also love the Brighton Grand Hotel - such a classy and elegant building.

In my home city of London, I love the brutal and uncompromising Lloyds Building, probably one of the most unique buildings in the world.

I also love the Natural History Museum. I love the colour scheme, the yellow bricks look almost golden. I love the entrance with it's iconic archway and I love all the gargoyles perched on the roof, all the weird looking animals and creatures. It's definitely one of my favourite buildings in the world.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Singer Tower

it is the tallest building in this detailed etching. note the Hudson Terminal Buildings- the relatively short boxy 51 storey twin buildings to the left with the small pyramids on top. these where later removed in the 60s for an other pair of much bigger twinned buildings.

it was 612ft, 187m tall(double that of beetham 1 or the liver building) just imagin if this was built here in liverpool, say the 4th grace?...

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I can't choose one, but here are three buildings I like.

Commonwealth Institute, Holland Park in London. Not on my list because it's threatened with demolition, but because it's lovely inside and out. http://www.riskybuildings.org.uk/docs/32cwealth/index.html

Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King, Liverpool.

Bank of England, Bristol - I used to visit Bristol a bit in the 1980s and it was a building I always wanted to stop and gaze at. I can't find a link to it, so I've no idea what it's called now or if its still standing. A building called the "Bank of England" in Bristol is used as a film location, but I can only find pictures of a gutted interior. The building I remember was a beautiful 1950s office block.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts