SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this thread subject has been covered before, but given all the different threads talking about past glories, those still with us and what could yet be built. Pics if possible, anything can be entered whether it has been demolished or whether it is still to be built. if you have an idea for a specualtive future building that would be better than the rest then stick that up too? Actually, lets go the whole hog. Include structures, eras, architectural styles if you like.

Anyway, I wrote this on another thread so here is my starters

Martins Bank Building on water St, by far Liverpool's best building.. er, probably... maybe 16 Cook St... or the Catholic Cathedral.

What is for sure is that Exchange Flags is one of the best urban squares in the world... and as has been said before, is why the whole davies situation is such a crime!

I think that you all know that I have gone off all the Liverpool hyperbole, but I don't think this sentiment is an exageration in the slightest... stunning. Everything about it is almost perfect... the blend of buildings, the enclosure the potential.... how I remember it when it was the heart of a mighty commercial area.. everything! even the symbolism.. civics and commerce... brilliant..

I love Art Deco but I also think that we are currently in a golden age of architectural style and innovation.. another bloody reason to hate the heritage freaks!

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
Tony Sebo said:
I love Art Deco but I also think that we are currently in a golden age of architectural style and innovation.. another bloody reason to hate the heritage freaks!
Tony, I think you should rephase that. Keeping heritage is fine. Nothing wrong with it at all. It is whe it impedes progress that they are a pain.

At the same time those who dismiss heritage to make way for socalled progress, we saw heritage wiped away in the 1960s/70s for socalled progress, as as equally as guilty as the hertitage freaks.

We are seeing this disgregard for heritage in the infilling of historic docks right now. It need not be either/or.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Hard to rank them, and not living there I tend to forget what I do/don't like, but I think this is about right for my top ten, ranked in order of how much I like them:

1. Metropolitan Cathedral
2. Royal Sun Alliance (the 1970s one)
3. Lyceum, Bold Street
4. Martins Bank Building
5. India Buildings
6. Oriel Chambers
7. Anglican Cathedral
8. Town Hall
9. Atlantic Tower Hotel
10. The castelated turrets on Dock Wall gates by Stanley Dock (?) These ones:

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
St. Georges School in Wallasy is understated - one of the world's first modern operational solar buildings, built 1961.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
John-MK said:
St. Georges School in Wallasy is understated - one of the world's first modern operational solar buildings, built 1961.
Yes, but they did away with the solar panels I believe. I heard that the architect was not treated very well. Nice to read a non-Dock related posting by you, unless this is just an entree to a pre-emptive defence of Bidston Dock?

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John-MK said:
Tony, I think you should rephase that. Keeping heritage is fine. Nothing wrong with it at all. It is whe it impedes progress that they are a pain.

At the same time those who dismiss heritage to make way for socalled progress, we saw heritage wiped away in the 1960s/70s for socalled progress, as as equally as guilty as the hertitage freaks.

We are seeing this disgregard for heritage in the infilling of historic docks right now. It need not be either/or.

Agree John.. completely agree. Just to reiterate that it is the extremists..i.e 'freaks' that I have a problem with... people who are passionate about the city's history and have a strong conservationsit bent I fully support, indeed I consider myslef as part of that community....

remember 'freaks = extremists.. the ones who think they can landscape back the 19th century - the dogmatists - the unyeilding, the unhearing.

Freaks - extremists, from any dogmaitic school are a pain in the arse... the most dangerous anti city lunatics ever were the modernsits... nobhead utopian 'alternate city builders'... though at least that school had some of the best building designers ever.. our heritage lot are mediocre to the core!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Heres my top 10

1. St George's Hall
2. Anglican Cathedral
3. Liver Building
4. Town Hall
5. William Brown Street
6. Port Of Liverpool Building
7. Martins Bank Building
8. Metropolitan Cathedral
9. The Victoria Building
10.Unity

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
liverpolitan said:
Yes, but they did away with the solar panels I believe. I heard that the architect was not treated very well. Nice to read a non-Dock related posting by you, unless this is just an entree to a pre-emptive defence of Bidston Dock?
There was no solar panels as such. It was two glass walls about 1 metre apart. There was swivelling panels with reflective coatings, that the teachers had to turn to heat or cool the classroom. Most were never instructed on how to use them, so at time the classrooms were stuffy

I'm not sure if this school is under protection, if not it should be and restored to full glory. It could even be improved upon in operation by electronic controls sensing conditions

I believe it is used as a council office these days and they have resorted to using the backup heating system which was never used when used as a school, even through the 1963 winter. The world is full of idiotic Philistines.

The design can be used with modifications (we know far more about ventilation and solar heating these days) for any future schools in the UK – the energy crisis should prompt all schools, or any buildings for that matter, to follow suit. St. Georges was a success in 1961, yet not one school in the UK ever copied the design – strange that. Look at the oil costs it saved over that time.

Yes, Bidston Dock should not be filled in.

·
Registered Drug User
760 Posts
Without stating the obvious, i quite like the White Star Line building. I like the unusual red striped brickwork, and the turrets. Lovely. Another gem is Tower building (former United States Line building) at the other end of the Strand. They book-end a lovely row of buildings lying in the shadows of the waterfont.

·
Registered
586 Posts
y3eh agree with merchant taylors, i live about 1 min away from it, but i think my school is pritty impressive aswell, albeit neglected (Sacred heart btw). This is my school, havent got one of merchants

·
Registered
4 Posts
Liverpool Cathedral
16 Cook Street (ta Sebo)
The Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King
the warehouses Millers Bridge Bootle

That's all I can think of at the moment

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Liverpool has some great buildings and others on this thread have already mentioned many of them. I personally like the multi-faced clock on the Central Docks and look forward to the day when it will be surrounded with buildings of equal merit to show it off for what its worth.

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Its All Halls.................

Speke Hall, Croxteth Hall and St Georges Hall

1 - 20 of 24 Posts