• Brisbane Bridge

Votes: 3 5.3%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
uewepuep said:
Also these threads are stupid.
Yes, chances are a Melburnian is more likely to agree with that sentiment than a Sydneysider. he he ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

But, i agree with you, dan - Alibaba has good intentions but we all know how these threads go - it'd be easier just to ask "where do you live?".

Instead, what about a photography thread calling for best photos of these landmarks? Or we nominate lesser known ones. For example Sydney's GPO (OK, it's well known - as opposed to famous - but i think it deserves more credit)

As for the choices, i am a bit puzzled why MLC gets in there for Sydney? SOB and SHB are obvious and Sydney Tower sticks out like dog balls so i guess it must unfortunately be there, but why is MLC there and not say GPT, Deutschbank, Australia Square or Aurora???

Anyway, Sydney's GPO...

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anton said:
Yes, chances are a Melburnian is more likely to agree with that sentiment than a Sydneysider. he he ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

But, i agree with you, dan - Alibaba has good intentions but we all know how these threads go - it'd be easier just to ask "where do you live?".

Instead, what about a photography thread calling for best photos of these landmarks? Or we nominate lesser known ones. For example Sydney's GPO (OK, it's well known - as opposed to famous - but i think it deserves more credit)

As for the choices, i am a bit puzzled why MLC gets in there for Sydney? SOB and SHB are obvious and Sydney Tower sticks out like dog balls so i guess it must unfortunately be there, but why is MLC there and not say GPT, Deutschbank, Australia Square or Aurora???

Anyway, Sydney's GPO...

Feel free anytime to create your own thread man !!!!
No one stopping you .. !!!!!

I would not care less at all !

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Alibaba said:
Feel free anytime to create your own thread man !!!!
No one stopping you .. !!!!!

I would not care less at all !
lol. I didn't mean to offend.

Anyway i voted - SHB. I just don't agree with some of your choices and i explained why. But you had the intiative to make a poll but you gotta expect there to be complaint about your nominations.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
For Melbourne for me the Royal Exhibition Building is our most famous building, afterall it is the only building that is "World Heritage" listed in Australia.The most recognizeable would be Flinders Street Station
Sydney it has to be the SHB followed by the Opera house but my personal favorite is the QVB.

·
Registered
904 Posts
auslankan said:
For Melbourne for me the Royal Exhibition Building is our most famous building, afterall it is the only building that is "World Heritage" listed in Australia.The most recognizeable would be Flinders Street Station
Sydney it has to be the SHB followed by the Opera house but my personal favorite is the QVB.
I agree, Melbourne should have Royal Exhibition Buildings and Flinders Street Railway Station. And perhaps, St Patricks Catholic Cathedral, as the nation's largest.

And what about Canberra? National Library of Australia, Parliament House etc...

Might need to make some revisions! :)

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Olderfleet said:
I agree, Melbourne should have Royal Exhibition Buildings and Flinders Street Railway Station. And perhaps, St Patricks Catholic Cathedral, as the nation's largest.

I was thinking to have another version of Poll - with all of those great classic buildings and low rise.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
The Olderfleet said:

Culwalla says that St Marys in Sydney is the largest cathedral in Australia I think St pats has some of the tallest spires though.

·
Registered
89,922 Posts
sorry alibaba, but as i said polls are useless. also vote for threads always cause fights, but we will soldier on.
Its a very hard question you have asked.
i think many people have there own personal fav landmark, in there own city.ALso one or two in other cap cities.
As for national icons, Sydney Opera House and bridge are very popular.Sydney tower is becoming more popular but its no icon.
Melbourne has many great bldgs, to early yet to include Eureka, but it will eventualy be a melb icon.
As aslankan said, the Royal exhibition Bldg has world heritage significance.(soon to be joined by sydney opera house).REB is a mighty fine piece of victorian architecture.

Gold coast beaches are its iconic symbol. yes Q1 will be a much visited bldg due to having ob deck, so this will eventually become its icon.

Brisbane is a great city with many fine bldgs. nothing iconic yet but i think Vision will be, especially with its tourist ob deck and almost 300m height.the Story bridge is certainly iconic to locals.

perths swan river is perfect and i think the citys symbolic icon.As for bldgs, it sadly hasnt skyscraper combo ob deck, so no structure for tourusts to visit. the bell tower is great and Kings park is excellent.

Adelaide has the parks and churches. The tallest bldg (santos house) will eventually become an local icon, as the top floor is soon to be turned into an observtaion deck, thus turning the bldg into a tourist destination.
Tasmania is an amazing place. Hobart has mt Wellington and harbour. As for built structures, the tallest bldg being Wrest Point is a well known bdg and roof top restauant is popular. I think also the 300ft Eucalypt trees just 30min drive from city are a important symbol for tassie.

Darwin is a young city and still developing. Its now starting to flower with tall bldgs, soon to get 2x 30storey bldgs (see threads). The waterfront precinct is being transformed into a world class harbour front as we speak.

its all good.

·
Registered
89,922 Posts
auslankan said:
Culwalla says that St Marys in Sydney is the largest cathedral in Australia I think St pats has some of the tallest spires though.
when i spent 5 years compiling and creating 100 scale models for a display in St marys cathedral (sydney). i assessed many dimensions. I had to find out was was larger, st pats or st marys. St mary ended up with 350sqm of space more then st pats (3,600sqm & 3,250sqm) respectively.
St marys measures 107m long and 40m wide, while st pats measures 96m x 49m.
St marys has 74.6m high southern spires with no central spire, while st pats has 2x 65m spires and a 105m central spire.
st pats- 1858-97 (spires added 1937-39)
st marys-1865-1928 (spires added 2000)
both designed by William Wardell.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Alibaba said:
I was thinking to have another version of Poll - with all of those great classic buildings and low rise.
Classic buildings (say before 1950??) is indeed a great topic but how about just a discussion thread rather than a poll?

My suggestion is to nominate our top 5 but with a minimum of two buildings from outside our home states. Like this thread to which you should contribue. I think that thread worked cos it decreases the parochial nature of this forum and also makes us think about more than our "own backyard".

And by the way, perhaps this poll question is not that bad afterall. It asks us to nominate our favourite and not the best. Debating the best just causes shit fights - but favourites is an individual choice. :D

broadie said:
I like the Q1 but thats not only becouse i live in the gold coast but an icon somewhere else wouldbe i like sydney tower
^^ What are you talking about? ;) Q1 is a much better landmark than Sydney Tower. Firstly, it is better in relative terms. Ie, compared to their respective surroundings Q1 is much more prominent. Secondly, and more importantly, it is a better landmark in absolute terms. Ie, on their own, Q1 is a better building.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anton said:
Classic buildings (say before 1950??) is indeed a great topic but how about just a discussion thread rather than a poll?

My suggestion is to nominate our top 5 but with a minimum of two buildings from outside our home states. Like this thread to which you should contribue. I think that thread worked cos it decreases the parochial nature of this forum and also makes us think about more than our "own backyard".

And by the way, perhaps this poll question is not that bad afterall. It asks us to nominate our favourite and not the best. Debating the best just causes shit fights - but favourites is an individual choice. :D
QUOTE]

Thank Anton... I start to believe that the OZskycraper has some body who have some thoughts and ideas - rather than just simple rudeness I have encountered in different thread.

I think that is good idea. Each city dweller can nominate their own cities as well others buildings ....

There are so many great buildings in Australia and some of them are lesser known to people in interstate............ so it is great to have these buildings unfolded before our eyes

in the meantime ... keep voting in this thread....thank you ...

·
Registered
89,922 Posts
laxor said:
Flinders Street station deserves a mention imo.
if were talking railway stations, Sydneys Central is fine structure!
monumantal sandstone builduing with over 20 platfroms and massive 70m clock tower.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.